Bivy Help

JMDavies

WKR
I'm in the market for a lightweight 3 season bivy. I've looked at the Big Agnes 3 wire and Outdoor Research. As of now I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes but looking for other brands and suggestions. The Canvas Cutter appears to be too big and bulky for my needs. Thanks

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
While not a 'classic' bivi sack per se, you may want to check out the Sierra Designs High Side 1. Clocks in around 2 lbs. or so, but gives you a bit of room inside as well as small vestibule; nice feature when you want to keep your boots dry, etc. I know it is a popular bikepacking shelter since it packs so small.

There are quite a few other lightweight bivy options out there. I have the Mountain Laurel Designs eVent bivy and it's pretty nice.

Legend

WKR
I have probably spent an honest 200 nights in a bivy. The only one I use is the Black Diamond bipod. Funky material that works in the worst snow, rain, and wind. And it breathes which is even more important.

Summitmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a lightweight 3 season bivy. I've looked at the Big Agnes 3 wire and Outdoor Research. As of now I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes but looking for other brands and suggestions. The Canvas Cutter appears to be too big and bulky for my needs. Thanks
I have a big Agnes 3 wire that I was just getting ready to post

Borah Gear Bivy gets my vote. John makes a few different kinds.

I only have about 6 nights in my Borah but am very happy. Had it out a month ago in 40* rainy weather with the wrong kind of overhead tarp. Very dry and kept me comfy in what could have been an unpleasant night.

I have used bivys for 20 year - army goretex, 2-3 OR versions, SOl and one other I Can’t recall. Borah is a perfect blend of well built and lightweight. Email JOHN your specs and he can make something fast. I am on the husky side and had my XXwide custom in less than three weeks.

Been running a Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy the past few seasons. Excellent bivy and would buy another if this one failed. Oversized at 36” x 96” with a custom zipper to match my Slick Bag and weighs 13oz with loops and cord at the corners.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If you want more of a stand alone bivy then the Big Agnes 3-Wire, Borah Gear SnowySide eVent, MLD Soul eVent are good choices as they have a waterproof breathable fabric.
If using a bivy in conjunction with a tarp then a Borah Gear Side Zip or MLD SL Bivy area great options. They are not only more breathable than the fabrics above but lighter as well.
I use a Borah Gear Side Zip with a MLD DCF Grace Solo tarp for 3 season trips and normally when the weather is nice just throw down the bivy without pitching the tarp.

Last edited:

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning on running it stand alone or with a tarp or other shelter? I like my Borah Gear but wouldn’t use it without a tarp unless you’re 100% sure about no precipitation. As a lightweight option paired with a tarp though, I think it’s hard to beat.

OP
J

JMDavies

WKR
Are you planning on running it stand alone or with a tarp or other shelter? I like my Borah Gear but wouldn’t use it without a tarp unless you’re 100% sure about no precipitation. As a lightweight option paired with a tarp though, I think it’s hard to beat.
I'm planning to have a tarp with me and using it when concerned about weather.
The Borah website appears to be having issues. It isn't showing the options described in the thread

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
The Borah website appears to be having issues. It isn't showing the options described in the thread

If you have any questions, make sure that you contact him. John was very helpful when It came time for me to order mine. He even through out a few suggestions when I described to him the conditions/environment/climate that I would be using the bivy in. I ended up with an extended side zip and an extra wide to accommodate my cold weather gear and for how big that I am. I don't think I paid any extra for the changes either.

Since you are going to be using it with a tarp of some kind, I don't think that you can beat it for cost and performance. When the weather is nice out I seldom use a tarp with mine.

I just ordered a side zip from Borah last week.
I cannot find anything about the Snowy Side E-Vent model.
If anyone has a line on those, let us know!

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Borah Gear used to release/make them more towards autumn. They are very responsive to emails so you might reach out and ask if the Snowyside will be available.
Here is a link from when I purchased one a few years back:

elkhntr

FNG
I use the BA Fly Creek 2 and had really good luck with it, very lightweight and roomy for a single person, tight for 2. Hilleberg has some 25% off right now too.