Bivy help

After my first backpacking hunt/adventure to the high country of Colorado this year I want to switch some things up with my sleeping/shelter set-up. I found that I had a really hard time getting comfortable with current sleep set-up. I understand a backcountry hunt isn't going to be like a stay at the Marriott, but I seemed to find myself awake more at night than I did asleep (or so it felt). My old set-up had me with a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 for shelter, a Western Mountaineering Highlite as my sleeping bag, sleeping on an Exped Synmat UL7. I found the Highlite too constrictive and I prefer to sleep on my stomach and side. This year, I've made some changes. I've purchased a Megatarp for starters. For my sleep system, I was planning on keeping the Exped Synmat UL7 but swapping the Highlite out for a quilt. Given I'm going floorless I'm looking at a bivy to protect my pad (and to keep any bugs at bay)...and that's really all I want it for. Anyone have any recommendations for a roomy bivy? I was looking at a mesh bivy from Marmot or the bug bivy from OR. They look like they'll give me a bit of room in the bivy and allow me to move around with ease (swap from side to side pretty easy). Any other lightweight bivies you guys recommend that will allow me room to move around and is lightweight? I looked at the Integral Design bivies and the TiGoat bivies but they seem like they maybe to constrictive for me. I think I'm wanting something I can stake down as well. Any additional ideas or help would be appreciated! This set-up would be used for early season high-country mule deer hunting mainly.

Integral designs bugaboo is a bivy that gets great reviews. Has event to keep you dry from the elements and your own sweat. Big enough to roll around in as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
Depending on what you use for a quilt; If your sleeping with a quilt like the one I use id reccomend a real bivy to keep the drafts away. I use a kifaru doobie for a bag and it can be drafty with no bivy.

I like the quilt thing though! I sleep just like i do at home with a blanket. Im a warm sleeper and the doobie and a bivy will do me good down to the mid 20's. Iv also got a woobie express ill use for when the weather is going to be warmer.

If your looking for a roomy bivy thats fully waterproof and windproof the Integral designs bugaboo is a good one. I have used a couple cheaper bivies and they left me with condensation or with little room. The ID is roomy, very roomy, made of event material so it breathes well (although it has only gotten back yard use so far), it keeps you sealed up and it keeps your stuff dry and protected in a floorless shelter. Only down fall is that it is a little heavy. I also looked into getting a ti goat but never ended up going down that road.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would take a look at the Integral (like you mentioned) and the Big Agnes 3 wire. The 3 wire is probably closer to what you're looking for as it has a ton of room inside.

I have the ti-goat and love it. Make sure you get the omni-raven, it is sized for the air mattress such as the BA or synmat. I have used the omni raven in conjunction with a Neo air x lite with 20 degree slick bag. There's tons of room for boots or clothing if needed. And because you have a fairly lightweight set up the omni raven is one of the lightest out there. Be sure to add the optional bug netting heck of a deal for only an additional 20 bucks.

OP
bigeasygator
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I was worried with the Bugaboo and the TiGoat Omni-raven being a bit claustrophobic. What keeps the bivy off of your face when you're inside it? It's easier for me to see on the wire ones how you could have a bit more room -- or at least not have something on your face. How easy is it to turn from stomach to back without the bivy rotating too with the Bugaboo and Omni-raven? I wasn't too worried about the bivy being weatherproof since I would be deploying it under the Megatarp, but I can see how that would be nice for nights away from the Megatarp (if that were to happen). I do sleep a little colder (and bought a stove because of it!) so the suggestion to get a "real" bivy is probably a good one regardless if I'm under the Megatarp or not. The only reason I was looking at the Marmot and the OR was because of weight. I like the look of the ID Unishelter and the BA 3-wire for getting a comfortable sleep under the tarp.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're running the Mega, I wouldn't add the extra weight of the "big hoop", so something like the ID bugaboo would be best.

I don't like the TI Goats for the reason you mentioned (staying away from the tarp), so I try and use the lightest bomb proof bivy I can.

Lawnboi

WKR
The ID bugaboo II has a little wire that runs the length of the hood. You can mold it however you like. Enough room for me by far, but you may want more

I can flop around in the bugaboo like a fish but im only 5'7 and 140 so thats not saying much.

OP
bigeasygator
Thank everyone for the feedback! I'm 5'8" and 180 so if it's roomy for most then I'm sure it's easy for me! I was worried about the Bugaboo not providing a stable platform for moving around and feeling claustrophobic with the bivy over my face. I'm guessing with the Exped Synmat inside the bivy it provides a stable platform to move around in? I've never used a bivy so sorry if these are basic questions!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
how much wet can the tigoat bivies hold up to?
dew? light rain? no moisture?

I have been using this bivy this year, and it is actually pretty water resistant. It has repelled light rain and snow very well. Dew is not a problem. My only concern would be sustained rain.

im thinking of purchasing this for cold weather camps on the snow and early season to replace my ground sheet under the sl5 and maybe use by itself if weather is clear. would it be a good choice?

hard to beat the weight and price

luke moffat

Super Moderator
how much wet can the tigoat bivies hold up to?
dew? light rain? no moisture?

I don't use mine as a stand alone bivy. Its more just a shell for my bag inside a tipi or other floorless shelter. Works like a champ. I really don't see it being any more restrictive than a bag and I don't zip up the hood of the bivy unless the bugs are bad. My sleeping bag is more restrictive than the bivy itself. Of course I'm 5'9 155 pounds so that could make a difference. Overall very happy with the TI goat bivy.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
im thinking of purchasing this for cold weather camps on the snow and early season to replace my ground sheet under the sl5 and maybe use by itself if weather is clear. would it be a good choice?

hard to beat the weight and price

I think it is just right for those uses. Even if stuck away from your shelter, it can be protective and you can utilize a natural feature (overhang, spruce canopy, etc.) to keep downpours off.

Any more info out there on the Raven? It's obviously a bit lighter than the ID Bugaboo... Those are the two I am considering right now. It will only be used (I hope) as a protective cover for my down bag in a floorless shelter. I think the Raven is the way to go at this point..

Any reason I shouldn't?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
If only being used for a protective I say you are good to go. It won't offer you much more then that though. Personally, I use the bugaboo II and I like the idea that no matter what situation I am in I have a bivy that will work and work great. It can be used as a stand alone or with a tarp as a protective bivy. IMO, I'd carry the extra few ounces and have a bomb proof bivy then have one that is only a bag protector.

Any more info out there on the Raven? It's obviously a bit lighter than the ID Bugaboo... Those are the two I am considering right now. It will only be used (I hope) as a protective cover for my down bag in a floorless shelter. I think the Raven is the way to go at this point..

Any reason I shouldn't?

If you're rolling floorless, I wouldn't think you'd need a full on protective bivy. Why not take a look at Borah Gear bivy? Pretty much the same weight as the TI goat bivy but half the cost. I was looking at all types of bivys a few weeks ago and settled on the Borah side zip. Weight, breathability, cost, and level of protection desired were the factors I was looking at.

Mike

We spent the weekend in the mountains, used a 4 man KU Tipi.... Either way, in the middle of the night I rolled over and bumped the wall, immediately all the condensation from the tipi was on my down bag. I more or less want something that will allow me to sleep inside a shelter and keep the condensation off of my bag.

While the Bugaboo looks great and it's reviews have been the same, I think it's a little too much for me in terms of it's weight and overall intended use. I only want something to keep condensation out and the bag safe.

Will the Raven do that, or should I just buckle up and buy the Bugaboo?

Thanks!