Bivy In A Tipi

Who is using a bug bivy inside of a tipi? Tell me the pros and cons. If so, which brand or type? I’m assuming people would just use a bug bivy of some sort but most people don’t mention it when talking about shelters. I’ve been running a Redcliff for hunting for couple of years now but my kids and wife want to start backpacking but at not fans of bugs and snakes and think they need something. I was thinking this would be a lighter option that running nests and give everyone their own “space”. Just trying to figure out some solutions to this problem and give my kids and wife peace of mind. Thanks for your help as I’ve never used a bivy hunting.

I use a Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy in my Tut. It’s keeps my sleep system together, clean, and free from bugs while I’m away. It supposedly adds a few degrees of warmth but I honestly can’t say I’ve noticed. I’d gladly buy another if this one ever fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy in my Tut. It’s keeps my sleep system together, clean, and free from bugs while I’m away. It supposedly adds a few degrees of warmth but I honestly can’t say I’ve noticed. I’d gladly buy another if this one ever fails.

I can tell you that even bug mesh will retain heat. When I use my double wall tent, if I unzip the inner mesh just a few inches, there is a tangible “rush” of cold air the comes in.

Wrench

WKR
I get bucked off my pad without a bivy.....and it keeps everything clean.

Con is added weight.

Do you Borah users prop the bivy up with sticks or whatever like it was designed or do you basically just use it as a “bag” to hold everything?

VernAK

WKR
We use bivys in out tipi and sawtooth as as condensation on the walls may get on our bags or some Geezer may spill his drink.

rclouse79

WKR
+1 for Borah bivy. Last elk season I used his 5x9 tarp and a custom bivy. He ran a six inch strip of bug netting down the middle to help with condensation. It was very reasonable and worked great. I don’t prop it up while I sleep. I don’t even notice it. One of the stuff sacks came apart and he sent me another one for free.

Yep I run a MLD bug bivy in my Sawtooth. There's a ton of nasty spiders where I hunt. So this in September and early on keeps them off me and out of my bedding during the day. But I think this year I'll be using the mesh tent thing for my thermarest cot. The bug bivy kept sliding around on the cot last year and it was a pain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cody_W

WKR
I run the OR Stargazer, keeps everything clean and can roll all up together which makes for an easy pack and unpack of camp, adds 10° to my sleeping bag, fights condensation from tent at bay (can create condensation within bivy) and keeps you bug free if that’s an issue. Adds a pound to the pack is the con.

Bbrinks

FNG
I use a Borah Gear bug bivy in my cimmaron. I don’t worry about pitching the ends up, but you can do it with trekking poles. Like others, i like how it contains everything and helps to keep your pad and bag clean

I have a six moon designs but bivy I run under a variety of tarps when bugs are an issue, if I don’t run a 3-season tent. It is a one man net tent called the serenity. I have even pitched it without cover on a warm, dry buggy night.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping an old thread to get some info from you Borah BIvy guys. where do you put the bug netting when not needed. can you put it under your pad or just under whatever your using for a pillow. i don't need the netting 99% of the time. I had a ti goat bivy but it got a little too close to the stove

Bumping an old thread to get some info from you Borah BIvy guys. where do you put the bug netting when not needed. can you put it under your pad or just under whatever your using for a pillow. i don't need the netting 99% of the time. I had a ti goat bivy but it got a little too close to the stove
I rarely if ever zip my bivy all the way up for the bug net protection. so most of the time, part of the netting is just lying on top of me and the other part (the part above the zipper), is just pushed up towards the top of the bivy.

I rarely zip my bivy all the way closed.

With my SnowySide it has a custom “T” closure style zipper. (Straight across the chest area and straight down the center to my ankles to match my Slick Bag). I’ll lay the top part under my bag and zip up the middle part about 3/4 of the way.

With my UL bivy it’s just a straight center zipper running from top to bottom and I leave it unzipped about half way and lay my bag on top of the upper 1/3. Haven’t noticed any issues using the either bivy this way.

When I do zip them up I never tie up or prop the top off my head and haven’t noticed any problems sleeping that way either.

I’ve got a lightweight JimmyTarps bivy. Top third is bug netting. Most nights I leave unzippped and tuck net under sleeping pad. Then it’s there if I need it, but out of the way to sleep. It has a loop to tie a line to keep net off of your face. I’ve never take the time, net doesn’t bother me that bad.