Bivy material

snowplow

WKR
Hey guys, I have another bivy question. I have a Borah snowyside currently, it's 14 oz and is eVent fabric. I have never got wet in it and it doesn't make me sweat, so it must breathe as well as they say. But I'm considering going to a Borah ultralight which is 5.5 ounces and considerably lighter. It has the mesh face area so you couldn't lay in the rain with it like the snowy side. Considering I always use the bivy in conjunction with a tarp would I be giving up anything by getting rid of my snowyside and picking up that ultralight? I'm having trouble finding any reasons why I shouldn't do just that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Hey guys, I have another bivy question. I have a Borah snowyside currently, it's 14 oz and is eVent fabric. I have never got wet in it and it doesn't make me sweat, so it must breathe as well as they say. But I'm considering going to a Borah ultralight which is 5.5 ounces and considerably lighter. It has the mesh face area so you couldn't lay in the rain with it like the snowy side. Considering I always use the bivy in conjunction with a tarp would I be giving up anything by getting rid of my snowyside and picking up that ultralight? I'm having trouble finding any reasons why I shouldn't do just that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Did you ever get any PM feedback on this?

I’ve been using a BG SnowySide eVent bivy (13oz for mine, oversized and a custom center zip) for a few seasons now and have zero complaints. I never use mine as a stand alone bivy either and just received one in Argon 90 to reduce some pack weight. Similar customizations make the weight 8oz on my scale. Can’t say whether it’s worth the $100 to save 5 oz but no issues with the quality or negative expectations of the bivy. Should be just as great but a few ounces lighter.

I think the only thing you’re “giving up“ is the option or ability to run the bivy stand alone from a tarp.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own two bivies, one waterproof (eVent), the other lighter, but water resistant- not waterproof

I use them for different jobs. If it’s a super bare bones bivy hunt I take the eVent bivy and nothing else. I also use eVent bivy in the winter for use in snow shelters.

The other one is used in conjunction with a tarp or tarp tent.

I like them both, but they accomplish different jobs.

Mine are from MLD, but they are comparable to the Borah bivies

Poser

WKR
Same as MTWarden, I have 2 MLD Bivies, a waterproof e-vent version and an extremely light (5oz) water resistant one with a CF floor and silnylon top. If you are using a tarp, you probably don’t need a full waterproof version.