Bivy Necessary in Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT?

LitenFast

WKR
I am new to the whole tarp tent idea, I used a flat tarp on a summer trip once where weather wasn't an issue with no bivy. I ordered a Mountain Shelter, and was planning on taking it next week for my 8 day high country CO elk hunt near Gunnison.

Am I an idiot thinking I can get away with no bivy and a down bag, old school down(not dridown etc)? There will be two of us sharing the shelter also.

What are your experiences? Obviously this would vary by region, as we won't be in some of the rainier states.

Thanks!

topher89

WKR
The first night I spent in my LT it rained from 9 at night until 4 in the morning. I slept in a old Northface down bag on a Big Agnes sleeping pad. No ground sheet, no bivy bag. My wife and I stayed completely dry. No condensation in the tent and nothing ran under the edges.

I have no plans on using a bivy bag. If I was in a mor open type of tarp, such as the Paratarp or Supertarp, I would consider one

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
That's what I was hoping to hear! I have been able to set it up a few times in the yard in the last two weeks to get familiar with the layout and set up. Haven't had the chance to use it in the field unfortunately, which is always the best, but it seems others have been happy with it!

My thoughts were that it wasn't as necessary with such a low to the ground design, not that there might be extreme cases where a bivy might be nice.

topher89

WKR
That's what I was hoping to hear! I have been able to set it up a few times in the yard in the last two weeks to get familiar with the layout and set up. Haven't had the chance to use it in the field unfortunately, which is always the best, but it seems others have been happy with it!

My thoughts were that it wasn't as necessary with such a low to the ground design, not that there might be extreme cases where a bivy might be nice.

Great plan. Shipping took longer than expected so the first time I ever pitched mine was at 12,000 feet:D and lets say it wasn't the best pitch but everything worked out fine.

Practice getting the edges tight and I think you should have zero problems with rain

Other things to consider: a bivy adds warmth and can result in getting away with a less rated bag...and a lighter bag.
A bivy protects your pad, helps you stay on top of your pad (a huge plus IMO), and helps keep bugs (skeeters, spiders and scorpions) as well as snakes out of your bag. And weather permitting, you don't "have to" always setup your shelter.
Hunt'nFish

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
I will be adding a bivy to my arsenal in the near future, but I am glad I don't need to find one that can be picked up or shipped in 6 days!

Manosteel

WKR
I used the moutain smith LT with a partner on two different hunts this season and while it was tight with all our gear, we didn't get into each others way. When I used it solo it felt like a palace.

ScottP

WKR
Anyone runnin a stove in one of these yet?

Yes, there are a couple folks here that are. Do a search for Mountainsmith Shelter, there is a thread with some photos. Here is one from my test run last summer. I don't know why this photo gets flipped, but you get the idea.
tent2.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
Yes, there are a couple folks here that are. Do a search for Mountainsmith Shelter, there is a thread with some photos. Here is one from my test run last summer. I don't know why this photo gets flipped, but you get the idea.
View attachment 11966

I'm putting a stove jack in mine this winter ( just picked up a small kifaru stove) and was planning on putting the stove jack in the annex - front part of the tent to the right side. It looks like you put your near the front centre pole, why did you put it there? Did you play with locations or just went with what you thought worked best for you?

Rucker61

WKR
I'm putting a stove jack in mine this winter ( just picked up a small kifaru stove) and was planning on putting the stove jack in the annex - front part of the tent to the right side. It looks like you put your near the front centre pole, why did you put it there? Did you play with locations or just went with what you thought worked best for you?

I followed Scott's lead and had John put the jack closer to the top, mainly to keep more of the stovepipe inside the tent for the thermal benefit.

The few times that I've used a bivy inside of either a 6 man tipi or a Super Tarp my sleeping bag has accumulated more condensation over night than it ever has without a bivy
Tim

ScottP

WKR
I followed Scott's lead and had John put the jack closer to the top, mainly to keep more of the stovepipe inside the tent for the thermal benefit.

Being my first tarp+stove, I followed advice from John at Bearpaw WD. It seems that the setup is also more stable located with the jack close to the peak.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
So I figured I should do a post trip affirmation on what others said, being in CO when the floods occurred in Sept. Lots of rain, two guys and a limited amount of gear inside, everything stayed dry! Except when our site was so steep my buddy rolled half out of the tent in the middle of the night during the rain and didn't wake up, but I think that one is on him

Manosteel

WKR
View attachment 11966

Can you post more pics of your stove jack location on the moutain smith lt - from the outside and inside please. Thanks