Bivy Sack and Bag in same stuff sack

shaun

WKR
Normally I am a tent guy but I just picked up a BA 3 wire bivy to be a little more mobil and was wondering if anyone leaves bag in there bivy when putting it in stuff sack I can see a lot of pros to it and can't really think of cons can someone enlighten me real quick

Gman

WKR
I do the Aron method mostly. If I'm short on volume I'll roll my pad and put it in the bottom of the pack and then put my bivy and bag in a Kifaru 5 string stuff sack, compress and put it in ontop if the pad.

2rocky

WKR
seems like even with breathable bivies there is going to be SOME condensation. Do you let it evap before packing or before bed? I just worry about making a wet spot when it is in the pack.

Iusually like to tie my pad on the outside of my pack for when I set down to do some glassing

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I have had problems with putting them together is if it has been wet out ..When compressed even the best material soaks through.. But in dry climates and dry conditions Absolutely pad and all

a3dhunter

WKR
seems like even with breathable bivies there is going to be SOME condensation. Do you let it evap before packing or before bed? I just worry about making a wet spot when it is in the pack.

Iusually like to tie my pad on the outside of my pack for when I set down to do some glassing

I'm not using an expensive bivy, just the Cabelas XPG but I have not had problems in Colorado. In three years, can only think of one night with condensation issues and that was because my head got cold and I slipped down inside the bag to warm up, and the breathing inside the bag produced the condensation.

big Agnes encampment
Big Agnes IAC pad
Cabelas XPG bivy

rhendrix

WKR
I am planning on using a tigoat vertex 5, was thinking about using a bivy as well, is that overkill?

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
rhendrix,

I either carry a Bivy or some sort of groundsheet with my floorless shelter (SL5), so no probably not overkill, but my Bivy weighs 8 oz.
I used to have a Bivy that weighed 31 oz and that setup in conjunction with a floorless shelter for me would be a bit much for me.

I keep my ti-vek ground cloth neo air, sleeping bag and bivy in a sea to summit dry bag and stuff it in my pack. Thats probably a little overkill but i cant afford to get my down bag wet.

unm1136

WKR
I keep my ti-vek ground cloth neo air, sleeping bag and bivy in a sea to summit dry bag and stuff it in my pack. Thats probably a little overkill but i cant afford to get my down bag wet.

I use a hammock whenever possible, and usually pull my down underquilt off to secure it in a dry bag. Except for the down, I just stuff and go. That may change when I get a lighter tarp, a Kifaru #7 lock and load came with my new EMR and it looks to be the right size for a cuben or silnylon hammock tarp. The mesh will allow any moisture/condensation on the tarp to dry as I hump around. My synth slumberjack sleeping bag is so huge that I can't use the divider in my EMR. Working on reducing that one.

pat