bivy setup?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like for my hunt we'll primarily hunt out of a spike camp, but there is a potential for the need to bivy out on the mountain. I'm definitely not hauling my tent/sleeping bag/pad/etc everyday out of spike camp (wouldn't be much of a camp if it was all on my back! :D).

Trying to minimize weight with balancing safety (and a modicum of comfort!)

Two things that I will for sure have is a 20 x 40" z-lite pad for glassing and a warm synthetic jacket (Nunatak Skaha- now called the PCT)- so that's a start :) I'm pretty sure my guide will have a tarp; if not I have a light 7x9' sil tarp that could go with, 12-ish oz w/ guys/stakes.

I have a Nunatak bivy/half bag combo that I've used on adventure races- it's Robic material so very wind and moisture resistant and the half bag is insulated with 2.5 Apex and the insulation comes up to mid-chest (designed to be used in conjunction w/ a puffy, which I will have). There is additional Robic material that goes over the top of the puffy. It weighs 12-ish oz.

I have several other options too- light Apex quilt (12 oz); couple of different bivies- some waterproof, some water resistant 6-12 oz; insulated pants

Here's a pic of the Akula half bag/bivy

RcgguOY.png

What's everyone else bring?

I have very similar UL pieces of gear. What I bring in my pack, away from camp everyday, honestly depends on the type of weather I might expect to encounter. I will always have my PCT Jacket and possibly Kuiu puffy pants if it’s September. A sit pad and a Borah Bivy (Argon 67). A Hilleberg Tarp 5 always comes along for either a bivy, or more often, a glassing shelter if it’s wet out.

I rarely take my sleeping bag, a EE Enigma Apex 30, if I’m leaving camp set up. However I often pack up everyday and have my entire camp with me, which the shelter is a MLD Cuben Duomid.

However if you’re hunting sheep with a guide here in AK, you most likely will be doing things a bit different than you or I would under normal circumstances. While it will be challenging, I imagine you’ll find it not quite the minimalist/adventure style hunting that you would do on your own.

Looking forward to hearing all about it after it’s done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Justin- yup sheep hunt

It sounds like (talking from a few hunters and guides) that it's a distinct possibility for an "unexpected" overnighter- basically a short stint stuck out and not able/worth going back to camp.

If it doesn't happen, I won't be overly disappointed- have spent a few number of unexpected nights out :D

If I can come up with something that's a couple of lbs that lessens the suffering, I'm fine with packing it everyday. I think my pack for days out of spike camp will be right in the low 30's lb range that's w/ rifle, optics, food/water and hopefully significantly heavier on the way back to spike camp one day! :)

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
That guy in the Akula picture looks cold and I can’t even see his face!

Rab makes a nice bivy. I have the ridge raider. It’s slightly heavier then a standard bivy but the space for your face is nice. For me it’s the perfect fit inbetween tarp and solo tent.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That guy in the Akula picture looks cold and I can’t even see his face!

Rab makes a nice bivy. I have the ridge raider. It’s slightly heavier then a standard bivy but the space for your face is nice. For me it’s the perfect fit inbetween tarp and solo tent.

I’m sure he’s shivering his a$$ off! :D

I have siwashed one time in 9 or so years of guiding sheep hunts. It was the coldest night of my life, but we did kill the ram the next morning and it made for a great story. With that said, I don't bring anything extra with the thought I may have to siwash when I head out for the day. If I think that might be a possibility, I might as well just bring the whole camp.

But, if your pack is light enough, a space blanket or tarp would be what I throw in extra in the event of having to siwash.

tdot

WKR
I've moved towards a hybrid sleep/bivy/insulation system. I have a Nunatak 3d down 35 degree quilt as my main bag, then I have a Nunatak apex 45 degree flat quilt that has been cut to integrate as an over quilt for the 3d quilt and it has a Robic exterior. I also carry a DCF 8×10 flat tarp, similar to the Seek Outside DST along with my main shelter. For insulation I've gone to the lightest down pant/jacket I could find (in retrospect, I wish I'd done this layer in 2.5oz Apex, but I was focused on packability).

I always have the tarp, flat quilt and the down jacket/pant, plus foam for a sitpad. It gives me a ton of versatility while away from camp. I can either use the quilt or jacket/pant for insulation, or both. Often when I make a quick stop to glass or eat, I'll just throw the quilt over my shoulders to maintain warmth vs dressing in my down.

Total system is very close to the same weight as my previous silnylon flat tarp and heavier weight down layers. But this new system has a ton more versatility, I can sleep comfortably into much colder temps. I always have gear to bivy out. Can leave a base camp vs hauling everything around.

One added bonus of the DCF tarp, which I found out accidentally on the last sheep hunt. I saw a major rain squall coming, and didn't have any rain gear on, with temps forecast to drop below freezing within a few hours, I decided to quickly setup my tarp vs putting on rain gear. I didn't have time to finish the setup before the squall hit me. In order to prevent the tarp from blowing away, I wrapped myself and gear in it and waited for the storm to pass. I was bone dry after a torrential 20min downpour. I've tried similar in coated tarps and always ended up wet.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ sounds like a nice setup :)

I have a SOL Escape bivy that is only a little over 8 oz that I could carry, but the Akula is less than 4 oz more and provides some insulation- it takes up a little more volume, but I'll have plenty of room in my pack

I have a similar quilt (mine is made by MLD) that I use in a similar fashion. If I were to use it on this trip, I could bring a lighter sleeping bag for camp (and use it over the down bag)- so the 12-ish ounces for the quilt really becomes 5-6-ish ounces w/ a lighter down sleeping bag.

twunt

FNG
I don’t walk away from the tent and bag without all my clothing.
(Puffy, puffy pants, rain gear, base layers etc.)
If these^ are dialed, then one will survive at least.
Another half bag isn’t worth the weight IMO. Put those ounces into a heavier puffy or puffy pants.
Can always crawl down into your pack for your lower body. Z seat and gaiters for a “sleeping pad” on top of spruce boughs or willows.

Last time under just a tarp, the one thing I wished for was heavier mitts/gloves.

If it’s the north country in late summer, not too many hours of darkness, just keep walking. Or bail down below tree line where the option of a big fire is nice.

Either way it’s an uncomfortable, but short, night anyhow.

Have fun.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Justin- yup sheep hunt

It sounds like (talking from a few hunters and guides) that it's a distinct possibility for an "unexpected" overnighter- basically a short stint stuck out and not able/worth going back to camp.

If it doesn't happen, I won't be overly disappointed- have spent a few number of unexpected nights out :D

If I can come up with something that's a couple of lbs that lessens the suffering, I'm fine with packing it everyday. I think my pack for days out of spike camp will be right in the low 30's lb range that's w/ rifle, optics, food/water and hopefully significantly heavier on the way back to spike camp one day! :)

It sounds okay on paper, but in practice I’m not sure. Our last hunt we planned for 12 days. I had a partner with me and we never slept in the same spot. We covered a few mountain ranges, and stayed mobile the whole time. Hindsight we could’ve spent more time on each area glassing than 1 day per, but we left successful.

If we’re leaving the tent I always have a sil tarp (tdot has the lighter cuben fiber version I want!) and my rain / puffy pants and jacket. If I go full retard I’d spend the night in that under the tarp and expect misery. At least this way if it rains you and your gear are covered.
As a bonus you can also use it to catch water if you are at camp when it rains!

2e692dc93e3955388b5a739b1341014b.jpg

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
I employed a light bag, liner and a one man tent. I froze my ass off at 10,000’. I burned them when I got home. We’re these light? Yes! Were they comfortable? Hell no! My pack weighed in at around 40#. My rifle weighs around 8# with the 10 rounds that I took. I am in my early 70’s and would take a better bag next trip. Lets’ face It, comfortable sleep is essential to hunt at altitude. Nutrition and hydration go hand in hand with comfort. A couple of extra pounds makes a world of difference. If I draw the tag to hunt sheep in the zone this coming season I will not skimp on being comfortable at night.
Been there, done that, have learned! MTG

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ tarp is going to be in my pack or the guides or both :) I figure for glassing alone it would be worth it's 10-12 oz

^ I'll have a "comfy" setup wherever we drop camp, this is a contingent option for a possible night out sitting on a ram- I know going in if it happens I won't be very comfy :D

If you have puffy jacket/pants and tarp, I can't see packing a second bag or quilt just in case you end up overnight. "Overnight" in August in AK isn't very long.

BBob

WKR
I've had for many years now a Mont-Bell UL Alpine Down Hugger. It fits in a small little stuff sack that doesn't take much room at all. I've used it in high altitude mule deer country for similar purposes as you describe. This one measures in at ~12.5oz and with a DCF tarp or bivy, down jacket, gloves and booties I've managed fine. In my earlier years I got caught out with just a disposable space blanket in the Ruby's (NV) at 10K ft with wind all night which is what ultimately lead to this :)

Attachments

• File_000 (1).jpeg
    File_000 (1).jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 29
Light is right until you freeze at night.

Even though I know this, I still go light. Even during third rifle in Colorado. Generally I have a puffy, puffy pants, mittens, extra beanie, tarp and 30* quilt in my pack when I am out. Ive only done one sheep hunt in Alaska (hopefully more to follow) and brought too much. This year I will lighter.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
very true- "night" is pretty short in August in the Brooks Range; I will be packing a decently warm puffy and pants, so maybe just something like SOL's Escape bivy for a little something- want to say mine weighs 7-8 oz and packs small, there is a “lite” version around 5 oz- it’s a little snug, but with just clothing might work