Bivy Shelter

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone care to recommend their favorite bivy shelter? I'm looking for something light weight that packs small for solo trips into the mountains. I'm not looking for a tarp setup.

OP
W

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, something that I can use for solo trips when I don't want to bring an entire tent or something I can use to setup a remote camp away from my main camp.

Outdoor research alpine is great. I just got one a few weeks ago and really like it...slept in it 6 nights so far.
Lots of head room and pretty light weight...aslo has the bug screen and that is really nice.
I had tried out a couple other bivys in the past and finally found one that I am comfortable sleeping in.

Anyone care to recommend their favorite bivy shelter? I'm looking for something light weight that packs small for solo trips into the mountains. I'm not looking for a tarp setup.

I like my Kuiu Ultra Star 1P. Mine weighs in at 27.3 oz with guy lines & stakes. Just add one of your trekking poles. I've used it in Southeast & Interior Alaska for 2-3 years on and off. It does a great job with lots of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdoor research alpine is great. I just got one a few weeks ago and really like it...slept in it 6 nights so far.
Lots of head room and pretty light weight...aslo has the bug screen and that is really nice.
I had tried out a couple other bivys in the past and finally found one that I am comfortable sleeping in.

I have also heard good reviews with this bivy. I don't have any personal experience with stand alone bivy's as I prefer to use a UL bivy under a tarp/shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
What do you guys like about bivy only.... I have a couple but can't imagine no tarp... Getting into a bivy in the rain would be miserable with no tarp.

Ruskin

WKR
i have one that has the zipper that goes across the face and down to the hip. makes getting in and out a lot easier than those with a zipper just across the shoulders.

Dameon

WKR
I just started using a bivy and tarp last year and went the Slumberjack Contour bivy and Satellite tarp. I like the bivy very well for what it is and it can be used by itself without a tarp. I think the tarp is too heavy and you would be better off with a silnylon tarp rather than a heavier camo coated polyester tarp. I shaved ounces off the weight by ditching the stuff sacks and replacing the guy lines and stakes with Lawson's glowire and titanium stakes. I don't have a scale, but I think the final weight of my bivy and tarp combo is about 2lbs.

OR helium
9b45a3acd37e26617395b409ca470874.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
Just fyi, I tried a big agnes fly creek ul1. 2# with stakes and everything, and it's a real tent, way more livable... Might be a good option. And they are fairly cheap used... Bought mine for $100 CDN...like $3 usd

Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy. Less than 1#, stand alone use, custom sizes and/or zippers, and around $160 I think. Works great with or without a tarp.

Dameon

WKR
After trying the bivy thing, this is what I am upgrading too. eVent is some awesome material and this bivy has everything you could want and nothing you don't. The hoop ring on my Contour is not the greatest and quite frankly I'd rather have a tie out to something that doesn't fall on my face. I'd personally see if they would put in some custom zippers on the sides to replicate the arms out features of my Contour......I really do love that feature. Making and sipping coffee first thing in the morning without even getting out of my bag and bivy is heavenly when it is cold.

Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy. Less than 1#, stand alone use, custom sizes and/or zippers, and around $160 I think. Works great with or without a tarp.

I just started using a bivy and tarp last year and went the Slumberjack Contour bivy and Satellite tarp. I like the bivy very well for what it is and it can be used by itself without a tarp. I think the tarp is too heavy and you would be better off with a silnylon tarp rather than a heavier camo coated polyester tarp. I shaved ounces off the weight by ditching the stuff sacks and replacing the guy lines and stakes with Lawson's glowire and titanium stakes. I don't have a scale, but I think the final weight of my bivy and tarp combo is about 2lbs.
Is Glowire that lighter than chute cord?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ben

WKR
I use a borah gear bivy and jimmy tarp set up that weighs under a pound. I use it more often than not. It's light enough that I usually pack up camp every morning and carry my full kit all day.