Bivy style hunting and 2nd set of poles.

I am considering purchasing a Silex trekking tent. I have had 3 opportunities to hunt elk. I have primarily done spike camp style in the past. This move puts me in a position to possibly “hunt with camp on my back”. Last year we were able to locate elk and every morning we had to hike back into get where we were the previous day. My question is what percentage of guys are picking up camp every day? Is there concern about being too close to elk with camp/scent? How many carry a second set of poles? I like having my poles with me even without a load. If I am not carrying my tent/camp I need to replace with poles with something other than my trekking poles. I know SO makes carbon poles, I don’t want to spend that. I will find something cheaper or fashion a couple sticks. I can get another set of trekking poles for less then $30. They have worked well for me thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Only a very small percent of hunters are actually packing up camp and hunting all day with camp on their backs day in and day out. I always have the ability to do this, but it’s usually in the context of coming back for camp midday, but I have certainly hunted with camp on my back and will do so in the future when needed. It’s really the versatility of having this option that makes the most sense. Getting up, eating + coffee, breaking down camp and packing up always takes longer than you think it will. Doing all of that and having time to get to where you want to be before first light requires a good bit of discipline, especially if it’s cold and your tent has frost or condensation. Doing it for consecutive days takes a tremendous amount of discipline.

Taking dedicated, but redundant tent poles defeats the purpose of such a setup IMO, but in rough terrain, you do need your poles so using sticks for shelter makes sense.

If you need the poles you should just pony up for the carbon fiber that are made for the shelter. Breaking camp every morning sounds like a waste of good sleep or hunting time. I can see a midday tear down and relocation though.

Boiserunr

FNG
I agree with the break camp at midday routine if you think you'll be in the general area. But if you need a set of poles for your tent get a second set of poles as a backup. If the SO carbon's are too much there are other aluminum options out there. I have a tarptent aeon li which is a dyneema trekking pole tent and I have taken my trekking pole out to use it during the day and I staked the tent down and put a couple big rocks on it so it would not blow away while gone. This was not ideal but worked just fine for me.

nosman4

FNG
If you're really wanting to save weight, just cut some poles if you will be hunting in an area that has good straight pine or something like it.

As a general matter, I have dedicated poles for a couple of lightweight shelters. I don’t always use them but they have their place. If I am counting ounces they may not make the cut but if weight isn’t an extreme concern, and I am going to leave my camp standing, it is sometimes nice to leave the shelter set up and not have to break it down to liberate my trekking poles.

I didn’t like the price but bit the bullet for the seek outside Silex carbon poles. They weigh 7.5oz vs my 18oz trekking poles and I don’t have to worry about leaving my trekking poles at camp or finding (or cutting) a pair of straight sticks to use for support.

Saving the weight, not worrying about what’s gonna support my shelter, and always having my trekking poles with me was worth the price even if I didn’t like to pay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a very small percent of hunters are actually packing up camp and hunting all day with camp on their backs day in and day out. I always have the ability to do this, but it’s usually in the context of coming back for camp midday, but I have certainly hunted with camp on my back and will do so in the future when needed. It’s really the versatility of having this option that makes the most sense. Getting up, eating + coffee, breaking down camp and packing up always takes longer than you think it will. Doing all of that and having time to get to where you want to be before first light requires a good bit of discipline, especially if it’s cold and your tent has frost or condensation. Doing it for consecutive days takes a tremendous amount of discipline.

You're right, that sounds terrible.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually get a few days of true bivy camping in every year. I'm talking bare bones- bivy/pad/bag, typically I'm camped with a tripod setup to glass at first light. Pretty easy to pack and move with that kind of setup.

More typically, a camp setup in the general I want hunt and then play it by ear- sometimes I stay, sometimes I move.

There are several outfits that sell both carbon and aluminum poles, often not huge difference in weight (but usually in price). The only way I'd bring two sets of trekking poles is if they weighed less (or the same) than purchasing a pole.

I don't use my trekking poles when I hunt, but I want them with- I've tried hauling meat in the mountains without them and won't make that mistake again :)