Bivy Tarp set up DST, Silex or Eolus?

I hav a cimmaron and love it but a bit overkill for a solo hunt or even tow people not using a stove. Looking to find a ultralight set up for a solo hunt or one other person for backpack fishing and hunting. Cant decide which direction to go was leaning toward the DST so could also use that for another shelter with my cimmaron but can't make up my mind

Phaseolus

WKR
I started with a DST and then bought an Eolus. The Eolus has better storm coverage from all angles and I don’t see myself going back to the DST for that reason. The DST is a nice tarp, The Eolus is a better shelter for a couple of ounces more.

I like my DST but it requires a little craft and creativity to get a god tight pitch In bad weather. I find myself using it more as a supplemental shelter for common area in camp. Flat tarps are fine for mild conditions but if you hit some real weather wind/snow/rain they tend to leave you exposed. If I was looking for something primarily as a sleep shelter I would have gotten something with some shape to it.

Reactions: EdP
I like my Eolus. Super sturdy in the wind, roomy, and I love the side entry.

If me and a bud are packing in I take the Eolus and he takes the DST, and most times we cowboy camp, but then we have options depending on weather.

If you had to pick one the Eolus is it.

O have a Cimmeron as well nut use a DST when Im not sure I will have room to pitch a bigger shelter.I had a Eolus breifly but decided to keep the tarp

Ratbeetle

WKR
I have a silex and think it's about the perfect solo shelter for me. Pitch it high for plenty of ventilation or tight to the ground if the weather rolls in. Tons of room for gear and can use a stove in colder temps.

I'm not sure that I would want two people in there though. Certainly doable without the stove but it really shines as a one man.

OP
B
thanks guys. It will just be me and my son or me and my wife I am 5'10 185 they are smaller I figure if need a stove I will pack in my cimm

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m guessing the silex would be more weather proof due to is tighter to the ground pitch. My last backcountry archery hunt was 6 days at 12,000 feet. After a night of wind getting under the relatively high pitch of the doors I drug some dead logs in to use as wind blocks for the doors. The shape of the spot I had to pitch it in wouldn’t allow for re-pitching the tent 90 degrees so it was drag logs or live with it.

Attachments

• A9C03847-CAFB-4DF1-ADB2-604DF0C9A7DE.jpeg
    A9C03847-CAFB-4DF1-ADB2-604DF0C9A7DE.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

If I may present a fourth option. Humongous for one person. Roomy for two plus gear. Can still be configured in multiple ways like a flat tarp for glassing, open air sun shelter, etc. 17 ounces.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I’m guessing the silex would be more weather proof due to is tighter to the ground pitch. My last backcountry archery hunt was 6 days at 12,000 feet. After a night of wind getting under the relatively high pitch of the doors I drug some dead logs in to use as wind blocks for the doors. The shape of the spot I had to pitch it wouldn’t all for re-pitching the tent 90 degrees so it was drag logs or live with it.

You can get it pretty tight to the ground. I've had the silex in some pretty heavy winds and it's been solid. One night in particular last year, I pitched on a nice calm ledge at about 11,000'. Woke up in the middle of the night to what I figure were 30-40mph sustained winds with 50+ gusts. I just added a couple stakes to the upwind side. Still had some junk blow in, but not bad considering the gusts.

I did have one night though when I was pretty tired and got a bit lax with my pitch. Woke up to a beautiful sky full of stars...then I remembered I went to sleep with a tent overhead. Forgot to cinch some things tight and when the wind came up, the trekking poles came down. User error.

I have a silex and think it's about the perfect solo shelter for me. Pitch it high for plenty of ventilation or tight to the ground if the weather rolls in. Tons of room for gear and can use a stove in colder temps.

I'm not sure that I would want two people in there though. Certainly doable without the stove but it really shines as a one man.

Agree, it’s a damn nice shelter for solo use for sure. That said, it also works pretty well, in a pinch, for two. My son and I used it on Kodiak last Nov. (both of us are 5’8”), and it worked out just fine.
187956729127316f540d083bd0f144c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Silex and DST are both great for different reasons, but for a true shelter for two people I think the Eolus is the right answer.

I just ordered a custom tarp from Borah. 9x10 with 2 extra ridge line tie outs and 2 mid-panel tie outs on each side. That will give me 22 tie outs to make pretty much any shape I want with 2 trekking poles.

Phaseolus

WKR
Unless he’s just talking about using the fly/tarp without any kind of an insert/nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no nest or insert for my Eolus, just the tent, it’s shape doesn’t lend itself towards use as a tarp.