Bivy tent tarp?

280Ackley

WKR
I am looking for a 10’-12’ tarp to use as a cover for my bivy ten when elk hunting. Just wonder what is a good option. Doesn’t need to be UL but don’t want something that is really heavy. I was looking at something like a hammock tarp. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Phaseolus

WKR
I will second the DST tarp from Seek Outside. It’s a tarp that will have many uses for you besides as a tarp for a bivy tent. I’ve used it as a primary shelter on a few early season backpack hunts.

Attachments

• EECEC5F2-F379-4FDB-A8BB-66DD439D10D8.jpeg
    EECEC5F2-F379-4FDB-A8BB-66DD439D10D8.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 74
  • F386CF3D-1292-475F-AF62-BC0E7BF8407A.jpeg
    F386CF3D-1292-475F-AF62-BC0E7BF8407A.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 73

rclouse79

WKR
I just got a good deal on a 10 x 10 tarp from the bargain bin at bearpaw wilderness designs. I am happy with it after setting it up in my backyard a couple times. If you already have a bivy you can get by with the tarp from Borah gear. I think it is a 9x7 and weighs less than a pound. I will take the bigger tarp with my son and the smaller one solo.

Phaseolus

WKR
I will second the DST tarp from Seek Outside. It’s a tarp that will have many uses for you besides as a tarp for a bivy tent. I’ve used it as a primary shelter on a few early season backpack hunts.
The Advantages of the DST over other tarps is that it comes with multiplr perimeter tie-outs and reinforced center cone. 19 ounces for silnylon $129 is hard to beat if you want/need a tarp.

Sorry if this is hi-jacking, but I'm doing similar research and was looking at the Paria Sanctuary Siltarp (10'*10'). Seems low cost to me but I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Tilley

FNG
My Warbonnet Cloudburst has been great and lots of hard use for about 6 years now.

I haven't found anything better than my Mega Ogee tarp but they are difficult to find anymore. I use it as an emergency shelter and a tarp for hammock camping. It's quite versatile.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, the DST is a good choice. Cooke Custom Sewing makes a good tarp too at about the same price and usability. Less expensive option might be a Kelty Noah's Tarp. I have a 12 foot one that is pretty handy and would give good coverage in the circumstances you describe. If you aren't worried about having enough space to pitch it, a slightly bigger tarp is really nice to have and doesn't add much weight. I have tried smaller tarps and won't go smaller than 10 x 10 now for over a bivy and generally now for that set up use a bigger tarp and no bivy.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
That’s why I am looking for something a little bigger. No room for my back in the bivy tent and would like to have a place to keep that and my boots drive. Plus a place to just stretch out and get dressed out of the weather. My current one is just small 8’ Home Depot poly tarp. Works for a little extra coverage but not quite enough.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to make my peace with an 8.5 x 8.5 square tarp but have been much happier and more comfortable with the larger ones.