Bivy/tipi Question

USMC-40

WKR
Hunting the UL’s in MT this year. Three of us going, two will have tags. My question is we have a tipi that we are planning on using (with both walls) and some Tyvek as the floor, do I need a Bivy sack with this combo under typical conditions? I have a down bag and a down quilt - not sure at the moment which I will bring, but wet down can be dangerous and miserable.

Silver

FNG
Personally I’d say you’re fine without. Last year, NW BC stone sheep hunting in a megatarp with siltarp floor and we stayed dry enough in down bags. Little bit of condensation but never lost their loft and insulation. It’s up to your comfort level I suppose...

Good luck - those unlimited units just look fun (type 2 fun, but fun nonetheless)

Jimss

WKR
I would be a little concerned being gobs of miles in without a floor and down! If it rains or snows much with any kind of side wind..... or if rain starts trickling into your tent....you are screwed! Added insurance might be to store your down in dry bags when you are out hunting each day.

Mike7

WKR
I would have zero concern with a double walled tipi. In that instance, your down will be more dry without a bivy trapping body moisture. I would worry more about mice chewing on my stuff while out hunting, or getting your down wet while moving camp in the rain if you don't have a waterproof stuff sack.

You can always bring a large enough piece of tyvek to wrap the remainng gear/sleeping bag up in tyvek like a taco while you are out hunting if you still have concerns.

LandYacht

WKR
Nearly a decade of floorless and nary a problem with my down bags.

I run a bivy though to keep my pad and bag all in one neat little package. Helps keep me on my pad too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcimport

WKR
You’re more likely to have problems with moisture in your down sleeping in the Bivy than you will with some perceived worst case scenario in a floorless shelter. The moisture you produce condenses inside the Bivy and is then held against the shell of your bag. I’ve been floorless for 5 years now and haven’t had any issue.

rayporter

WKR
no matter what tent you take you have to air out your bag every now and then.

if water gets under the tipi some one picked a poor spot to camp.

My bivy mostly gets used as a ground tarp. But also can double as a backup shelter. Down bag will get wet from condensation if used inside the bivy. But haven’t noticed loss of loft or warmth. It’ll also add a few degrees of warmth or cut drafts if your shelter is pitched off the ground a bit.

I use a bivy inside the teepee. Just don't zip it up. Sort of like my ground cloth but then when I leave camp in the morning I also take bag, pad and bivy. Its not much extra weight for the option of setting up camp anywhere I need to if I get on animals right before dark. Seems like I usually spend every other day out in bivys anyway and come back to teepee every other day. Treated down is also a very good thing.

Sheep hunt a couple years ago we got stuck in our bivys a long way from camp in a down pour for 17 hours. My partner didn't have treated down...and her bag got wet getting in and out of the bivy to go to the bathroom.

If you do run a bivy and camp out make sure to bring two or three alum tent stakes to run through the loops on the bivy if you need to camp up top on the leeward sides (to stay hidden) and it is steep. I just feel a bit more safe being anchored to the ground in those spots.

I always bring a bivy in case I am putting rams to bed for a chance at an early morning shot up high. It is also a much better option than an e blanket. I slept with one of those one night and vowed never again.

Floorless, UL wt. bivy (waterproof bottom/very breathable top), and down is the only way to roll, in pretty much any conditions, IMO. Just make sure to keep your down dry, which is just as easily done as it is said.