Black and white photos of camo

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Does anybody know where to find black and white photos of the different camo patterns in the field? Trying to see the different camo as an animal would see it.

Jimss

WKR
I'm color-blind. I'm not sure if I see the same shades of color as big game but the thing that stands out to me is the human profile. I make a point of wearing different tops vs bottoms to break up this outline. The other thing that stands out to me is most camo is too dark. I like having a selection of camo patterns and colors to choose from. I set them out in the vegetation I'll be hunting. The ones that blend in the best are the ones I wear. Camo colors and patterns may change in the same location depending upon the time of year. I would likely choose a different set in August vs November in many areas. I also always wear snow camo in snow....again hide the human outline!

OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Thanks for the reply Jimss. Do you think kuiu vias would be a good pattern for elk in Colorado during archery season? How about asat camo?

I watched a buddy arrow a bull at a distance of feet wearing vias, but it probably wouldn't have mattered if he was wearing asat either.

There is a thread on here somewhere of exactly what you're looking for.

OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
True but I believe it is closer to what the elk see than a color photo. I think it is more about the pattern so a b/w photo should show if it looks good or looks like a big blob that stands out.

wapitibob

WKR
Partner took pictures last year of our different camo next to different vegetation. Standing in front of trees with the new patterns were the worst. Best was an odd pattern one guy had and next to some shrubbery, like huckleberry.

Jimss

WKR
I would think Kuiu Vias would likely be fine in most Colo areas in Sept. If you are hunting sage vs greener hillsides vs rocky areas vs scrub oak the pattern and colors may change a little. If you pick Vias for your top or bottom I would suggest some other pattern and color for the other. That way you are breaking up your human profile. I do like the Vias….I don't own any ASAT.

If your camo pattern blends in with color photos I would also think black and white would also blend in...maybe not the other way around though?

Lowg08

WKR
From what studying i have done. Deer and elk are red green color blind and see on the lower blue end of the spectrum. Much like a human that is red green color blind. It would be protanope color blindness. You can look it up what it looks like. Several good articles if you feel like nerding out a bit on a rainy day

Last edited:
OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
I am searching to see what I can find on rokslide. I am also wondering if they have a lot of stickers and such that would make using hunting pants made of wool or Berber a pain?

Jimss

WKR
I hunted whitetails in Nebraska the last couple falls....which had lots of sandbur. It only took me once to figure out that some types of fleece were like velecro to sandbur! The eastern plains of Colo has sandbur but not a problem in the Colo and Wyo high country....although we have houndstongue in isolated areas.

OP
B

b1c2r3r4

FNG
I have have used Berber here in Texas and it can be very time consuming trying to get all the crap stuck in them out.