Black bear attack

Laramie

WKR
Lol I get it. I just figure that may ought to prove it. Like they do with the grizzlies. Of course they are endangered.
"I don't understand why they always kill the bears" isn't starting anything about proving it. If that was your original point, you chose poor words to communicate that. You came across like someone who though it was wrong to put down problem bears.

For the record, they do not always trap grizzly bears and prove it prior to putting them down. If they reasonably believe they have the correct bear, or bears, they don't bother to wait for tests. Several instances in recent years show that if you care to Google it. The case of the guide being killed and his hunter escaping is one that comes to mind. Those two bears were shot prior to testing.

"I don't understand why they always kill the bears" isn't starting anything about proving it. If that was your original point, you chose poor words to communicate that. You came across like someone who though it was wrong to put down problem bears.

For the record, they do not always trap grizzly bears and prove it prior to putting them down. If they reasonably believe they have the correct bear, or bears, they don't bother to wait for tests. Several instances in recent years show that if you care to Google it. The case of the guide being killed and his hunter escaping is one that comes to mind. Those two bears were shot prior to testing.
Also the attack a couple weeks ago on the Madison River in Montana after the guide was attacked and later died. The bear charged the officials who came in to check the seen and they shot it.

stonewall

WKR
That’s terrible.
I used to not carry anything in black bear country but started doing so a few years ago

I can’t remember where I heard or read this...there was a black bear that grabbed a hold of a young camper in the night. I want to say he was 14 and it grabbed his head. Boy survived. They killed the bear. It was a predatory attack no question

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
But IMHO, if they attack humans, "they've got to go."

Of course if you slowly and carefully turn that coin over..........Maybe it is the massive overpopulation of humans that is the foundation of the problem.

Maybe the bears have evolved an awareness, that there is nowhere for them to live in peace. And that a evolutional seed has told them, time to start sending those human animals a message.

BooBoo thinks you're the other white meat. Don't watch this if you fear bears and/or are squeamish or just hike in the woods unarmed.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
How so? Black bear attacks are black bear attacks. Problem bears should be shot. That's as relevant now as it ever was.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well, and I may be as bat shite crazy as you get for thinking this, but a number of BB attacks in a short period of time, even if not geographically close, may indicate a learned or evolved behavior by the species. A BB attack from 2006 just does not seem timely enough to be relevant to last week's story.

Are you buying stocks using 2006 data?

Eddie

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
We are talking about black bears not grizzlies.

I know some hard core guides and backcountry lifers that would prefer to encounter a grizzly over a black bear any day. They tell me it has to do with the predatory attacks.
I can’t say I agree with them, but they have more experience than I do. My point is, those black bears were deadly that day.

Lowg08

WKR
I know some hard core guides and backcountry lifers that would prefer to encounter a grizzly over a black bear any day. They tell me it has to do with the predatory attacks.
I can’t say I agree with them, but they have more experience than I do. My point is, those black bears were deadly that day.
Over the years after all my bear encounters. I have never scene a predatory act. I have literally sat there at the bottom of the tree with all the dogs tied way back and kept the bear up by just poking it in the butt with my hand. I’ve bum rushed one to get it to tree. I understand they can and do. just never scene it. I’ve had my legs cut out from under me by a bear and never turned on me. Maybe we are just more redneck here. I don’t know. I do hate that it happens. I feel bad for all those involved or injured. It is very sad. Just foreign to me.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Of course if you slowly and carefully turn that coin over..........Maybe it is the massive overpopulation of humans that is the foundation of the problem.

Maybe the bears have evolved an awareness, that there is nowhere for them to live in peace. And that a evolutional seed has told them, time to start sending those human animals a message.

I think it’s more likely bears are growing less and less afraid of humans. Too many hikers in the woods that aren’t hunting them makes them get too comfortable which turns into curiosity of how do those granola two legged buggers taste? Think of how many encounters with hikers these bears have on a yearly basis that all end in zero fear of man. No sharp pointy sticks being thrown at them, no bang sticks, no hound dogs anymore, no fear.... I’m on team human but also love bears.

Slugz

WKR
These incidents will get worse before they get better. CPW can't get enough people to fall bear hunt, harvest rate is too low with the ones that do and adding more easy to get tags is not working.

We gotta at least bring back some spring hunts.

Lowg08

WKR
I agree with problem bears being euthanized. The articles I have went back and read use terms such as “nearby” or “in the area”. To me that is to vague to make an immediate judgement call. Am I a drug dealer because I live two door down from one? I am “nearby” or “in the area”. My wording way have been poor. Maybe or mistook. I feel like they should at least test the stomach content or mouth swab before euthanizing an animal. I know of an instance here. A photographer got to close to an elk during the rut. The animal came over and nudge him a bit and the animal was euthanized due to the photographers inability to follow the rules on signs posted all over the park. Just looking from all points. Is the maulings and death unfortunate and horrible. YES. should they happen. NO. how much do we play into our own demise with wild animals. We get to close for a picture,we don’t leash our dogs, we don’t follow local guide lines and warnings or prepare ourselves for what will never happen to me. If I know that there will be sows with Cubs or prelude to bear rut I will appropriately be prepared. If I get into bear sign with my fiest. He goes on a leash. If I walk up on a sow and Cubs. I draw my weapon and slowly leave the area never turning my back on them.( happened this year) I guess I just have a different mindset. I’m not cold hearted. I’ve just live in a heavy population of black bears and hunted and watched them for many many years. If a bear has aggression towards humans then by all means euthanize it. If I get to close to take a picture of a small cub playing. That is my fault. Not the bear for doing what comes naturally to it. This is just my perception of it all. I used to not take any precautions for bears because I’ve dealt with them so much. BUT. I have now understood I’m just as much responsible to be aware and cautious and follow local
Laws and guidelines for dealing with wildlife. Just my opinion

Savage99

WKR
That’s terrible.
I used to not carry anything in black bear country but started doing so a few years ago

I can’t remember where I heard or read this...there was a black bear that grabbed a hold of a young camper in the night. I want to say he was 14 and it grabbed his head. Boy survived. They killed the bear. It was a predatory attack no question

A few years ago I thought there was a 19yo kid up in Boulder that got his head chomped while sleeping in a hammock. Maybe they were two different stories.

Edit to add links. Apparently there were two incidents.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/black-bear-attack-campers-head-colorado-spd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
Does Colorado really need to kill "more" bears... or just kill more "in town" problem bears? I don't really know the answer to that, just posing the question? I'm not opposed to killing more bears and wish the spring season would come back (yeah right!) but I'm not sure it would help with these types of situations?

I see bears around town, or in my neighborhood once in awhile but I can't really say it's anymore then it was 10, 20 or even 30 years ago?

What I do see is the population explosion which in turn creates more & more human/ bear conflicts. My town, neighborhood or whatever is full of people who aren't from here. They are all transplants from other areas where mountain living and wildlife knowledge is very low, even non existant. They think it's cute to have wildlife in their yards, feeding them etc and throw a fit when a bear or deer has to be put down after it's been habituated.

Cases like this are extremely rare here in Colorado. CPW has put out a coupe different emails about this case. They list what I assume are the only black bear fatalities in the last 30 years or so. Seems like this only happens once every 10-15 years. Going by memory here... one in 1979, 1993, 2003, now again in 2021.

I think the answer is to be more proactive at relocating and or killing in town problem bears? Although, that's a slippery slope too. And would never be supported by the "new" residents of areas where bear problems exist the most.

Lowg08

WKR
I agree. We had a bear in Asheville, NC ( I do not live in Asheville). Tame enough from human exposure to have a trump sticker placed on it’s tracking collar.

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
These incidents will get worse before they get better. CPW can't get enough people to fall bear hunt, harvest rate is too low with the ones that do and adding more easy to get tags is not working.

We gotta at least bring back some spring hunts.

Couldn’t have said it better. Cousin works for CPW and kind of vents about his job from time to time at family gatherings. This is one of the many things he gets a little heated about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk