Black bear brag board

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I'll start:
Our black bear opened here in Washington on August 1. I scouted a new area over the summer, narrowed it down to one ridge and a couple drainages. My buddy and I scouted the area for ripe berries the third weekend of July. I set up camp, checked the spots and made the plan on July 31. My hunting partner and I spent 3 HOT days getting wrecked by mosquitos. We saw 6 bears but weren't able to connect all the dots before he had to go back to work. I moved camp on the night of the 3rd to be closer to where we were seeing bears. I spent the evening glassing from inside my one-man tent to get a break from the mosquitos. Next morning I hiked for an hour in the dark with the plan of getting down closer and "mixing it up" with the bears. Idea being that it will be easier to connect the final dots if I'm under 100 yards away.

About 90 minutes after first light I saw him. Well, I saw the tops of the saplings he was knocking down. I watched, listened and paralleled him for the next hour or so. I got the occasional glimpse as the giant boar calmly crashed through the brush at about 100 yards. I set up for a shot a half dozen times as he side-hilled through the valley. His path was on a diagonal toward the closed logging road I was on. Eventually, I thought, he'll cross my path.

As he was closing in from about 40 yards on the left side of the path, a smaller bear presented himself right in front of me at under 30 yards. I knew I didn't want to shoot the smaller jet black boar and spook my dream bear. I aimed at him out of fear just in case. As he reached the tall grass strip in the middle of the two-track, he looked left, saw me and turned 180 bounding back into the thick brush.

The sound of the smaller bear seemed to anger my boar. He charged toward the road and began chomping and woofing in Jet Black's direction. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! He was within 25 yards down trail and hung up 10 yards back in the brush. Rested on the bino saddle on my Bog Pod, eye in the scope, I stood for what seemed like an eternity as the big cinnamon boar chomped and woofed and made short, fast bursts toward the road.

He finally showed himself! Just his head and neck emerged broadside. I steadied on the base of his head, breathed out and squeezed. The shot went off and the bear hit the ground as I reached the bottom of my breath.

I let the mosquitoes eat while I tagged him, skinned back his underside, made the rug cuts and gutted him. I hurried back to the truck for my "offroad adventure dolly." The pack out process was arduous even with the wheels. I couldn't believe how heavy he was. It was like hauling my gun safe 3 1/2 miles through the woods, except the bear wanted to roll off and rub on the ground or the wheels. I was careful to protect the hide and less careful about hernia prevention. I used my folding table as a ramp to get him in the truck. I tied him to the bed corners just long enough to surround and cover him with ice such that he'd be in a workable position if rigor set in during transit. Then I cut the rope to prevent rubbing, covered him and the pile of ice bags with a tarp and more ice. Then I headed home on an absolute HIGH.

Stats:
79" nose to tail
81" claw to claw
100 pounds of trimmed meat after a bit of meat loss
15 pounds of fat
Skull: 18 7/8

I have a bunch of better photos but all are screenshots from video since I was by myself using a tripod. Can't figure out how to post them. File too big.

Attachments

• ED11E5D0-2742-4032-B581-BFF36F803569.png
    ED11E5D0-2742-4032-B581-BFF36F803569.png
    706.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 0B3925BA-6E29-4E79-A510-640AFC221960.jpeg
    0B3925BA-6E29-4E79-A510-640AFC221960.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 7E5F0DD2-CCAC-497C-AE28-703AF836C6DB.jpeg
    7E5F0DD2-CCAC-497C-AE28-703AF836C6DB.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 5170C34A-0691-4CA5-B23D-3BAFB0AC98E8.jpeg
    5170C34A-0691-4CA5-B23D-3BAFB0AC98E8.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 62CE7369-2A74-4A97-818F-748D1E52F46E.jpeg
    62CE7369-2A74-4A97-818F-748D1E52F46E.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 3FDA87C5-220A-4B79-89CF-8CFA14F72A8D.jpeg
    3FDA87C5-220A-4B79-89CF-8CFA14F72A8D.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 170
  • BDFE5259-403C-40DF-B7F5-F016ABDA2FA4.jpeg
    BDFE5259-403C-40DF-B7F5-F016ABDA2FA4.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
That is an absolute unit!!! Congrats! That length is almost unheard of around here. Here on the west side anything at 72” long is bragging rights.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I'll start:
Our black bear opened here in Washington on August 1. I scouted a new area over the summer, narrowed it down to one ridge and a couple drainages. My buddy and I scouted the area for ripe berries the third weekend of July. I set up camp, checked the spots and made the plan on July 31. My hunting partner and I spent 3 HOT days getting wrecked by mosquitos. We saw 6 bears but weren't able to connect all the dots before he had to go back to work. I moved camp on the night of the 3rd to be closer to where we were seeing bears. I spent the evening glassing from inside my one-man tent to get a break from the mosquitos. Next morning I hiked for an hour in the dark with the plan of getting down closer and "mixing it up" with the bears. Idea being that it will be easier to connect the final dots if I'm under 100 yards away.

About 90 minutes after first light I saw him. Well, I saw the tops of the saplings he was knocking down. I watched, listened and paralleled him for the next hour or so. I got the occasional glimpse as the giant boar calmly crashed through the brush at about 100 yards. I set up for a shot a half dozen times as he side-hilled through the valley. His path was on a diagonal toward the closed logging road I was on. Eventually, I thought, he'll cross my path.

As he was closing in from about 40 yards on the left side of the path, a smaller bear presented himself right in front of me at under 30 yards. I knew I didn't want to shoot the smaller jet black boar and spook my dream bear. I aimed at him out of fear just in case. As he reached the tall grass strip in the middle of the two track, he looked left, saw me and turned 180 bounding back into the thick brush.

The sound of the smaller bear seemed to anger my boar. He charged toward the road and began chomping and woofing in small bear's direction. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! He was within 25 yards down trail and hung up 10 yards back in the brush. Rested on the bino saddle on my tripod, eye in the scope, I stood for what seemed like an eternity as the big cinnamon boar chomped and woofed and made short, fast bursts toward the road.

He finally showed himself. Just his head and neck emerged broadside. I steadied on the base of his head, breathed out and squeezed. The shot went off and the bear hit the ground as I reached the bottom of my breath.

I let the mosquitoes eat while I tagged him, skinned back his underside, made the rug cuts and gutted him. I hurried back to the truck for my "offroad adventure dolly." The pack out process was arduous even with the wheels. I couldn't believe how heavy he was. It was like hauling my gun safe 3 1/2 miles through the woods, except the bear wanted to roll off, rub on the ground or the wheels. I was careful to protect the hide and less careful about hernia prevention. I used my folding table as a ramp to get him in the truck. I tied him to the bed corners just long enough to surround him with ice. Then cut the rope to prevent rubbing, covered him and the pile of ice bags with a tarp and headed home on an absolute HIGH.

Stats:
79" nose to tail
81" claw to claw
15 pounds of fat
Skull TBA, will update
That is an absolute unit!!! Congrats! That length is almost unheard of around here. Here on the west side anything at 72” long is bragging rights.
Thank you! I can't believe I got so lucky. He's my first bear as the trigger man. I have a video of the rough measurements but the site won't let me upload video or screenshots from video. Says the files are too big.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never heard anything but praise for them myself. We’ve been using them over ten years and they work. They only work when staying still though, like glassing or quartering an animal. Give it 10 minutes to start working and I’ve seen it go from hundereds of mosquitos to one.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never heard anything but praise for them myself. We’ve been using them over ten years and they work. They only work when staying still though, like glassing or quartering an animal. Give it 10 minutes to start working and I’ve seen it go from hundereds of mosquitos to one.
Adding them to the shopping list right now. Thanks.

BigAl!

WKR
Congratulations on a sweet boar! Hope you get out and kill another one, especially since our spring season was cancelled this year. Enjoy the delicious meat.

Rough score is 11 3/4 + 7 1/8= 18 7/8
Awesome bear. Very similar sizing to the bear in my avatar. 81" nose to tail. 422lbs in the round and officially measured 20 8/16" after drying. Love the color on yours. We are headed to Colorado in a month for elk. I picked up a bear tag too. A color phase would be awesome.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome bear. Very similar sizing to the bear in my avatar. 81" nose to tail. 422lbs in the round and officially measured 20 8/16" after drying. Love the color on yours. We are headed to Colorado in a month for elk. I picked up a bear tag too. A color phase would be awesome.
That's a Booner! I wish I knew what mine weighed.

I'll start:

As he was closing in from about 40 yards on the left side of the path, a smaller bear presented himself right in front of me at under 30 yards. I knew I didn't want to shoot the smaller jet black boar and spook my dream bear. I aimed at him out of fear just in case. As he reached the tall grass strip in the middle of the two-track, he looked left, saw me and turned 180 bounding back into the thick brush.

The sound of the smaller bear seemed to anger my boar. He charged toward the road and began chomping and woofing in Jet Black's direction. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! He was within 25 yards down trail and hung up 10 yards back in the brush. Rested on the bino saddle on my Bog Pod, eye in the scope, I stood for what seemed like an eternity as the big cinnamon boar chomped and woofed and made short, fast bursts toward the road.

He finally showed himself! Just his head and neck emerged broadside. I steadied on the base of his head, breathed out and squeezed. The shot went off and the bear hit the ground as I reached the bottom of my breath.

I let the mosquitoes eat while I tagged him, skinned back his underside, made the rug cuts and gutted him. I hurried back to the truck for my "offroad adventure dolly." The pack out process was arduous even with the wheels. I couldn't believe how heavy he was. It was like hauling my gun safe 3 1/2 miles through the woods, except the bear wanted to roll off and rub on the ground or the wheels. I was careful to protect the hide and less careful about hernia prevention. I used my folding table as a ramp to get him in the truck. I tied him to the bed corners just long enough to surround and cover him with ice such that he'd be in a workable position if rigor set in during transit. Then I cut the rope to prevent rubbing, covered him and the pile of ice bags with a tarp and more ice. Then I headed home on an absolute HIGH.

Stats:
79" nose to tail
81" claw to claw
15 pounds of fat
Skull: 18 7/8

I have a bunch of better photos but all are screenshots from video since I was by myself using a tripod. Can't figure out how to post them. File too big.
Amazing bear, congratulations. Early start for bear up there. Might need to look into it one year.

OP
Z71&Gun

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing bear, congratulations. Early start for bear up there. Might need to look into it one year.
I can't recommend it enough. Plenty to go around. There are several reasons why now is the time.
1. They closed our spring bear, so bears need to be managed more than ever and they're less spooky than ever.

2. All the wildfires have made for an abundance of closed roads and walk-in only wilderness. Also, during the August hunt there is limited shade with so much timber having been burned.

There are more bears than ever, they're in more (on foot) accessible areas and they're more predictable than ever. All over the state. This is the "back in my day" time for fall black bear in Washington.

I can't recommend it enough. Plenty to go around. There are several reasons why now is the time.
1. They closed our spring bear, so bears need to be managed more than ever and they're less spooky than ever.

2. All the wildfires have made for an abundance of closed roads and walk-in only wilderness. Also, during the August hunt there is limited shade with so much timber having been burned.

There are more bears than ever, they're in more (on foot) accessible areas and they're more predictable than ever. All over the state. This is the "back in my day" time for fall black bear in Washington.
That does make for some great bear hunting. Archery bear season opens in a week in California and living in Reno it's only about an hour drive to our hunt area. They have some of the same conditions. Rifle bear doesn't open until September or October though. Very few bear tags are issued in Nevada.

Would you recommend a certain side of the state?