Black bear follows hikers

tuffcity

WKR
Looked to me like that young bear was used to people throwing him snacks...

RC

That was a great video. I would love to hear a biologists perspective on the behavior. I need to ask my buddy for an email address for his friend that I met last summer who is a grizzly researcher out of Bozeman. I'll forward this to him and ask his opinion.

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Was kinda funny when the guy turned and ran, little did he know if the bear wanted to eat him that is when he would have attacked.

I emailed my taxidermist this video and his reply to me was that he believes it was a curious black bear about 1.5 years old. He estimated the age due to it has long ears, the neck doesn't blend to the chest depth for size and the belly is still a long ways from distending as adults do.

Young curious bear that looks to have acclimated to humans well, like in.... "stick up your hands and give me all your snacks". Jogging/running probably triggered a chase the prey behavior as well.
Me.. I'd been thinking to myself ....how many canning jars would he fill and
"plain salt/pepper or onions & garlic", as I pulled my 45 and put one between his eyes.
Hunt'nFish

That bear gets fed a lot from people. Someone has been feeding it regularly. That's a long long way for a blackbear to continue to follow a person. It is not aggressive but shows zero fear of humans whatsoever. Those are the type of bears that grow up to attack people.

Mmcan

WKR
Wondering why they were so concilliatory and encouraging in how they spoke to the bear. Thinking I'd be yelling as menacingly as I could to encourage him up those trees instead of saying "good bear". But he did adhere to the adage that he only has to outrun his partner. Should've whacked the old guy in the knee with that rock;-)

OP
miller1

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Young curious bear that looks to have acclimated to humans well, like in.... "stick up your hands and give me all your snacks". Jogging/running probably triggered a chase the prey behavior as well.
Me.. I'd been thinking to myself ....how many canning jars would he fill and
"plain salt/pepper or onions & garlic", as I pulled my 45 and put one between his eyes.
Hunt'nFish

I think they were in Canada, isn't it illegal there to protect yourself with a handgun? lol

rodney482

WKR
That bear gets fed a lot from people. Someone has been feeding it regularly. That's a long long way for a blackbear to continue to follow a person. It is not aggressive but shows zero fear of humans whatsoever. Those are the type of bears that grow up to attack people.

This right here !!!!

On a side note to this video, a girls was killed in the same area by a bear in early May.

[video=youtube;p0eV7WFuSAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eV7WFuSAU[/video]