black bear hunting book?

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Any good black bear book recommendations? Hunted this fall, but I think my focus for next year needs to be finding food sources in the summer, and then just hunting those sources in early rifle season. I new where a bunch of choke cherries were, but by the time I hunter them, the bears were gone. They had been there maybe a week or two earlier.

McCrackin

FNG
"Education of a Bear Hunter" by Ralph Flower's is certainly a good read. Not an instructional book per say, but you can pick up a lot of info from it.

Jpeezer

FNG
I really like "Black Bear Hunting" by Lewis and Can Tassel in addition to the others mentioned.

JohnnyB

WKR
As previous posters wrote, the Doug Boze and Richard Smith books are excellent. I think Boze actually posts here from time to time.

Food sources are critical and tend to be very area specific.

Saylean

FNG
Food sources are key, especially in the fall. I do cover all of this in my book(s). Once you find sources, look for sign and go from there. Best of luck to you!
Douglas~

Any good black bear book recommendations? Hunted this fall, but I think my focus for next year needs to be finding food sources in the summer, and then just hunting those sources in early rifle season. I new where a bunch of choke cherries were, but by the time I hunter them, the bears were gone. They had been there maybe a week or two earlier.
I'm working my way through "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting" by Douglas Boze right now, and as someone who's new to hunting I'm finding it very informative. I can see this book catering to the newbs and the advanced. Let me know if you find any other good ones.

Saylean

FNG
I'm working my way through "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting" by Douglas Boze right now, and as someone who's new to hunting I'm finding it very informative. I can see this book catering to the newbs and the advanced. Let me know if you find any other good ones.
Glad you like it man. I hope it helps out.