Black Bear in Idaho: Weather Questions

DIY Lifer

FNG
Is the 7th of May a good time to try and backpack into the wilderness in Idaho for Black bear? We are looking around 6k ft in elevation to start. I have seen some posts and feel like this may be too high. I am hoping that the roads have started to clear by then. Anyone have any experience with roads in the high country in early may? Are we better off looking alot lower at that time of year if bears are even moving yet?

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Lower. Thats too high. And that early snow will be everywhere. I had snow at 6k end of May last year

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
D

DIY Lifer

FNG
Lower. Thats too high. And that early snow will be everywhere. I had snow at 6k end of May last year

Awesome information, thanks so much. I will push for lower elevations. I am hoping to hit that sweet spot between leaving the dens and the rut. I would leave a week or so later but I think my hunting buddy has his dates set and since hes military still it might not be as easy for him to change given his career field.

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Find the green and keep an eye on the snowline. I've had success seeing bears at both areas

MHWASH

WKR
Shoot for lower elevation. 3-4500. We tropically plan our wilderness hunt. The first week of May.

Is the 7th of May a good time to try and backpack into the wilderness in Idaho for Black bear? We are looking around 6k ft in elevation to start. I have seen some posts and feel like this may be too high. I am hoping that the roads have started to clear by then. Anyone have any experience with roads in the high country in early may? Are we better off looking alot lower at that time of year if bears are even moving yet?
There is a big difference between different areas of the state. Some areas of wilderness will be melted out at 6000 feet by that time and some will still hold 2 feet of snow.