Black bear outfitter recommendations

Pigskin

FNG
Would love to hear some good input on which outfitters to go with, looking to go up in Canada somewhere,

OP
Pigskin

Pigskin

FNG
I spot and stalk here in the US, looking for a barrel hunt in Canada

JMDavies

WKR
Marshland Outfitters in Saskatchewan. Big bear and tons of color phase. I've hunted with them a couple of times and don't have a bad thing to say. Great accommodations and a no nonsense operation.

Rancher

FNG
As stated Mikes Outfitting in Alberta.Great guy,lots of good bears.Eagle Eye Outfitting is run by Mikes head guide,Kyle Mudge.I have hunted with Kyle,and will again if this dam virus will lay down.Can't go wrong with either of these guys.

WRO

WKR
Tim pickett kills tons of big bears in Oregon during spring season spot and stalk. 0 point draw.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
For somebody that longingly watches the videos of people who are lucky enough to be able to live-in.. or travel... to these places where they actually let people be intelligent and bait for bears in barrels... what's the range in cost? And do the places also coordinate the air travel? Or does the person, after they book the hunt, have to handle scheduling the air travel to get there? Looking to learn how much a person would have to save up for one of those hunts.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Cost often depends on where you go and also the quality of the bears they have in the area you get what you pay for. Make sure you do your homework on outfitters call references, be leery if all their gallery photos look like they are from the 80s and 90s. That being said every hunt ive been on I have had to book my own travel to get to the area and the outfitter has either picked me up at the airport, or at a near by hotel the next morning. Then they handle transportation for the duration of the hunt then bring me back to the airport for flight home.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
As WRO said, Tim Pickett (Southern Oregon Outfitters) kills big bears. I’ve hunted with him twice and learned a lot. Killed 2 bears, 18 3/4” & 19 9/16”.

gearguywb

WKR
We (wife and I) are looking at options for next year. We'll see how it goes and the kind of feedback we get.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
If barrel hunting is on your list check out PB Guide Service in Maine. I used to guide for them they’re good people

TheGDog

WKR
If barrel hunting is on your list check out PB Guide Service in Maine. I used to guide for them they’re good people
I'm curious... when you leave working for an operation as a guide... do they make you sign an agreement stating something to the effect of you won't then guide people into those same areas on your own? Or is it that all these outfits own the land privately, so that's not an issue?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I won’t speak for other states, but a good portion of western and northern Maine is owned by timber companies that allow public access. Guides pay those timber companies for exclusive rights to run their outfit in certain sections. So we had some bait sites on public and but most on “private”. You couldn’t run an outfit right off of the area that another guide service was already established.

Rancher

FNG
Gearguy,I went to Alberta last year,and shot a 19 3/4 inch bear with my xbow that squared 7'1".The hunt was 3500.,air fare from Az.550.and the tip for the guide and cook.Had a great time,food,camp,and the experience was awesome.Was rebooked for June 1st this year,and I choose to push it back to next year which was wise as Canada shut down the border due to covid.I went year before last and passed on 11 bears as I have killed 3 in Az.and wanted a big one.Eagle Eye Outfitting is a little cheaper than Mikes Outfitting,but you will have a great hunt either way,as they both work together.You can get a second tag for about an extra 1000.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Kyle's operation is alot like mikes. I meet him on my mule deer hunt stand up guy cant go wrong with either of them.

TheGDog

WKR
Whom handles the skull and hide? I'm guessing some local to them outfit. Are their costs included in the hunt? What are those costs, roughly?

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
They skinned my bears out and cleaned alot of fat off the hid then froze the in a large chest freezer in coolers along with the skulls and i just took them home on the plane as checked bags. But it depends where you go what they do.