Black Bear sidearm?

Doing my first archery bear hunt. I have a .357 Taurus revolver or a Glock 23 .40 in my safe. What one would you guys carry for your sidearm? My glock carries better, but should I have a magnum?

OP
S
I feel comfortable with both, within 10-15 yards I feel like both guns will find the target. I’m not a ballistics nut, and haven’t shot a bear yet. Does .357 give me a significant real world advantage for knockdown? If so is that advantage mostly overkill? Would a .40 be plenty?

Spotnstok

FNG
I think either cartridge loaded with heavy solids will be sufficient for Black Bear. A .357 loaded with 180gr flat nosed solids from an outfit like Underwood will win the penetration contest, but that’s not the whole equation.

Carry weight and more importantly accuracy under stress/speed should be the deciding factors.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
.357 is a hard to beat round. However, Black Bear ? I think .40 with what 15 rounds ? You’re better off. But, do some homework on rounds as much as you don’t like to.

FWIW ? I carry a 10mm when bowhunting south Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Black bears will run if you yell at them. I don’t carry a side arm bear archery. I guess I have been really close when I used dogs. I’ve poked them with sticks trying to catch my dogs. I may regret it one day though. But to answer your question the 357 would be more appropriate not only due to caliber but mechanism. The revolver will be less likely to jam if debris is involved. When it was kill season we carried revolvers between 357 and 44. If it’s only back up or get off me gun I carry a 380 pocket pistol. Started that hog hunting if the knife don’t hit right it can get exciting in a hurry

Felix40

WKR
This has been discussed at length dozens of times. Carry what you shoot best. Put some kind of solid ammo in it.

A taurus revolver is probably less reliable than a glock even though some people think revolvers never jam.

I carry a 45 acp pretty much strictly for blood trailing.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Take that 45 and load it with hardball. I've hunted in Virginia my entire life and have yet to hear of anyone ever needing to defend themselves from a black bear. The thought of bear defense never crosses my mind when I hunt. I'm pretty sure your chances of getting in a car accident on the way to hunting are greater than having to defend against a bear. They're about as dangerous as overgrown raccoons.

Felix40

WKR
Take that 45 and load it with hardball. I've hunted in Virginia my entire life and have yet to hear of anyone ever needing to defend themselves from a black bear. The thought of bear defense never crosses my mind when I hunt. I'm pretty sure your chances of getting in a car accident on the way to hunting are greater than having to defend against a bear. They're about as dangerous as overgrown raccoons.

You know people get mauled and taken to the hospital regularly right? Yeah its super unlikely but it does happen. Someone dies almost every year in N America as a result of a black bear attack. I havent heard of any raccoon related deaths but Id be interested if you know of some.

Have you tracked a lot of archery shot bears without a firearm?

Lowg08

WKR
No but I have poked several with a stick unarmed and not wounded. Lol

Elkhntr08

WKR
A sow with a cub can put you in a bad situation quickly. She won’t run. I figure 7 rounds from my 1911 will ruin her day if needed.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
To all the guys that say don’t worry about a black
Bear tell that to this guy! He was archery hunting
And went to retrieve his bear a little too soon. Yea it’s unlikely for this to occur but to act like going in after a wounded pissed off bear poses no
Risk is a little dumb.

Lowg08

WKR
I know that does happen. I bear hunted with dogs from the time I was sixteen to thirty. I quit 6 years ago just still hunt them now. By far we have the most bear hunters in the country by state and we have been in horribly dangerous situations but as long as you pay attention and use your head. It’s very unlikely you will get mauled.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my first archery bear hunt. I have a .357 Taurus revolver or a Glock 23 .40 in my safe. What one would you guys carry for your sidearm? My glock carries better, but should I have a magnum?

I was in the same boat with a 357 revolver and .40 auto. I went with my Glock 27 with Buffalo Bore hard cast rounds. I like the extra rounds and I'm not worried about Glock reliability at all. The 27 is a tidy little package and fits nice holstered under my bino harness.

Bueltcm

FNG
If you are comfortable with your sidearm, would you prefer that over bear spray? Particularly for walking to the stand in the dark.