Black Bear Taxidermy

sworrior

FNG
Good Morning,

I have a booked my first black bear hunt to take place in Montana and am very much looking forward to trying something new from my standard Virginia/Maryland whitetail stand hunting.

Over the years I have always felt like the bear mounts I come across look a little odd to me, perhaps it is a difficult animal to really capture the personality of the trophy. They just seem to usually look fake, and Google has only produced limited success.

I am not looking at extreme poses like arms out and snarling but something that captures a relaxed bear just going about his business. Depending on the size of the animal should I be lucky enough to make a kill, I will either be going with a full body (a smaller bear) or a traditional black bear rug (if it is a larger animal). I just don't have the room or space for a massive full body mount of a bear. Perhaps a bear laying on a log to be elevated off the floor, or maybe a bear looking up investigating some berries or beehive would be really cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a taxidermist that produces tasteful and lifelike work, and would you be willing to post any pictures of your mounts? Initially I didn't think money was a consideration until I started really looking and found that some of these mounts are in the 4k range, which is a bit much. I am hoping to be around the 2k mark, but I just don't know if that is a realistic expectation.

The guide is recommending Wildlife Artistry in Livingston MT. Does anyone have experience with this gentleman?

Thank you in advance!

Good Morning,

I have a booked my first black bear hunt to take place in Montana and am very much looking forward to trying something new from my standard Virginia/Maryland whitetail stand hunting.

Over the years I have always felt like the bear mounts I come across look a little odd to me, perhaps it is a difficult animal to really capture the personality of the trophy. They just seem to usually look fake, and Google has only produced limited success.

I am not looking at extreme poses like arms out and snarling but something that captures a relaxed bear just going about his business. Depending on the size of the animal should I be lucky enough to make a kill, I will either be going with a full body (a smaller bear) or a traditional black bear rug (if it is a larger animal). I just don't have the room or space for a massive full body mount of a bear. Perhaps a bear laying on a log to be elevated off the floor, or maybe a bear looking up investigating some berries or beehive would be really cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a taxidermist that produces tasteful and lifelike work, and would you be willing to post any pictures of your mounts? Initially I didn't think money was a consideration until I started really looking and found that some of these mounts are in the 4k range, which is a bit much. I am hoping to be around the 2k mark, but I just don't know if that is a realistic expectation.

The guide is recommending Wildlife Artistry in Livingston MT. Does anyone have experience with this gentleman?

Thank you in advance!
Here is a very natural looking 1/2 mount that doesn't take up a lot of room

Attachments

• Chocolate Bear.JPG
    Chocolate Bear.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 120

22lr

WKR
Here is a very natural looking 1/2 mount that doesn't take up a lot of room

Very cool mount! Similar to the OP I was looking for options, that may be the ticket right there! I move around alot so larger full size mounts are just not really feasible, but that looks like a great compromise!

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Good Morning,

Thank you in advance!
Check out Dewey Wildlife in Cody, Wyoming. You can’t go wrong with ‘em.

Tiny1685

FNG
Any word on the bear hunt? Heres a good cost break down. $4500+ with base and habitat
$2500 half life size $650 shoulder mount 750 shoulder mount with open mouth. All the leftover hide is yours and you get a free bleach skull with any of our services. I'm located in billings MT, Tiny's Taxidermy. Good luck and happy hunting. Rug may be another option and they are $250 a linear foot (nose to tail)