black clothing for western hunt

I wouldn’t dispute anyone or their preference on colors. But what’s always stuck with me in this regard is that black is the only color u won’t find in nature. I’m not totally dismissing black bears and black tailed deer. But you’d be hard pressed to find a black tree.

JMDavies

WKR
In my opinion, black is the best single/solid color for almost any situation. I wouldn't hesitate to wear the black gear.

slowelk

WKR
I wouldn’t dispute anyone or their preference on colors. But what’s always stuck with me in this regard is that black is the only color u won’t find in nature. I’m not totally dismissing black bears and black tailed deer. But you’d be hard pressed to find a black tree.

I think your problem is that you are assuming that ungulates see like you do, when in reality they see mostly in gray-scale with the ability to see blues and yellows as well. An ungulate is not going to see a noticeable difference between black, dark brown, dark gray - and there are A LOT of things in those color ranges. Black may not be growing out of the ground, but the number of things that turn black either through burning or decay are VERY common.

Do you also think animals can tell a difference between sitka subalpine and open country?

The only solid color I wouldn't wear outside of blue and yellow would be white. There are far less human-sized patches of white naturally occurring in the woods than there are dark shades of gray and brown.

JMDavies

WKR
I think your problem is that you are assuming that ungulates see like you do, when in reality they see mostly in gray-scale with the ability to see blues and yellows as well. An ungulate is not going to see a noticeable difference between black, dark brown, dark gray - and there are A LOT of things in those color ranges. Black may not be growing out of the ground, but the number of things that turn black either through burning or decay are VERY common.

Do you also think animals can tell a difference between sitka subalpine and open country?

The only solid color I wouldn't wear outside of blue and yellow would be white. There are far less human-sized patches of white naturally occurring in the woods than there are dark shades of gray and brown.
Well said!

That’s a whole lot of assuming. I mean u really went off the deep end. The sight of animals is much more complex than gray scale. And if hunt more than just deer. Your into a whole different type of sight. You should read about cones. The question that should be asked by hunters choosing camo color/pattern is how many cones and which cones does their prey have. And, unless u have different camo for each species, bear, deer, pigs, etc. you’ll need to find a happy medium. And then finally, as I started my first comment. I do not wish to argue color choices. Anyone who engages in telling someone that their ideas about are wrong, is demonstrating a bit of ignorance. We all hunt in different areas. I know an area where jeans will do just as well as the best camo. But I’m not gonna argue that ur deer are the same as mine.

slowelk

WKR
That’s a whole lot of assuming. I mean u really went off the deep end. The sight of animals is much more complex than gray scale. And if hunt more than just deer. Your into a whole different type of sight. You should read about cones. The question that should be asked by hunters choosing camo color/pattern is how many cones and which cones does their prey have. And, unless u have different camo for each species, bear, deer, pigs, etc. you’ll need to find a happy medium. And then finally, as I started my first comment. I do not wish to argue color choices. Anyone who engages in telling someone that their ideas about are wrong, is demonstrating a bit of ignorance. We all hunt in different areas. I know an area where jeans will do just as well as the best camo. But I’m not gonna argue that ur deer are the same as mine.

Talking about rods and cones overcomplicates the discussion because then it becomes more about the appearance of texture than it is about color. It's a fact that ungulates see only blues and yellow and the rest is shades of gray.

My point is that black is a more commonly occurring color in nature than it seems people are acknowledging. I'm firmly planted in the shallow end.

Talking about rods and cones overcomplicates the discussion because then it becomes more about the appearance of texture than it is about color. It's a fact that ungulates see only blues and yellow and the rest is shades of gray.

My point is that black is a more commonly occurring color in nature than it seems people are acknowledging. I'm firmly planted in the shallow end.
So would u rather wear all black or all camo? I hear u that it’s more common than people would acknowledge. But if u had to choose black or camo I’m sure you’d choose camo. And if ur gonna pay the current prices of merino wool and the like. You may as well read about cones. If someone is gonna pay $100 for a t-shirt and not read about color. They’re probably trying to look good for their friends, not the deer. And as far as texture goes. Sitka did a pretty awesome study on this. I’m sure it would be easy to find it online. On the other hand, maybe ur right and it does just over complicate things. But sometimes I feel like I need all the help I can get. I just public land so there’s no deer waiting for me on Saturday morning broad side in an open field. Have a good day.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
So would u rather wear all black or all camo? I hear u that it’s more common than people would acknowledge. But if u had to choose black or camo I’m sure you’d choose camo. And if ur gonna pay the current prices of merino wool and the like. You may as well read about cones. If someone is gonna pay $100 for a t-shirt and not read about color. They’re probably trying to look good for their friends, not the deer. And as far as texture goes. Sitka did a pretty awesome study on this. I’m sure it would be easy to find it online. On the other hand, maybe ur right and it does just over complicate things. But sometimes I feel like I need all the help I can get. I just public land so there’s no deer waiting for me on Saturday morning broad side in an open field. Have a good day.
I get what your saying but this isn't really what I asked. Yes I'd prefer camo but I have a ton of really expensive high end clothing for hiking, mountain biking, and blind hunting all in black. What I want to know is can I get away with this setup on a western hunt or do I need to invest in all new clothing that's basically the same thing I have in a different color? If it's needed, then I'll pony up, but if it's not a priority, then I'll spend more money on better glass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I personally think it helps. But if I had all the right stuff in black, I’d probably just buy an outer layer that’s appropriate for the morning and evening temps. And if I was already stretching my budget, I probably just wouldn’t worry about and try to have a good time without killing my credit card.