Black diamond rain jackets

Looking to see if anyone has used the black diamond rain jackets and if so how did they hold up? I’m looking for something in the 100-150 dollar range that works well for hunting. I cheaped out last season with frog toggs and it caused me to leave a day early on my elk hunt so this year I’m upgrading. I’ve looked at precip, torrentshell, venture 2, some helly Hanson stuff and black ovis.

Thanks in advance and best wishes.

I don't have any experience with the black diamond rain jackets. What I do have is past experience with purchasing cheaper gear that eventually got replaced with more expensive gear. If I had just bought a Kifaru pack early on or a pair of Swarovski binoculars, I would have definitely spent less than I did with the route I chose. Good luck in your research, I know that Black Diamond makes some good gear, so perhaps you'll be happy with the rain jacket.

OP
H
I know exactly what your saying, I’ve been looking at the kuiu line based on reviews but it’s so hard to justify when it’s only used a time or two per year but then again wet is miserable so I’m not sure yet. I guess I’m trying to find one of the mountaineering co. rain gear that’s compares to the high end but half the price!

S.Clancy

WKR
Black Diamond makes great stuff. I've owned pants, backpacks and trekking poles, all bomber.

As far as jackets, look at the water proof rating of any jacket you will buy. Also, remember that a hardshell will never breathe that well, the most important thing is keeping cold water out.

If I were you, I would buy something like the Outdoor Research Helium and then save $$$ for a really good one. This way, you can continue using the Helium as an "in case" piece when no weather is forecast and you have a solid piece, like Kuiu, Arcteryx, whatever, for when the forecast looks wet.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
I know exactly what your saying, I’ve been looking at the kuiu line based on reviews but it’s so hard to justify when it’s only used a time or two per year but then again wet is miserable so I’m not sure yet. I guess I’m trying to find one of the mountaineering co. rain gear that’s compares to the high end but half the price!
Was in the same boat on the kuiu but ended up with a patagonia level 6