Black Eagle Instinct collar system

PennDude

FNG
I'm looking for input on the Black Eagle Instinct outsert/collar system and am having difficulty finding any reviews online. Is this an insert/outsert combo or just a collar that fits over the shaft? I had an issue with Carbon Express Kinetic Pierce Platinum outsert breaking on upon impacting an animal, and I don't want to repeat that.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm looking for input on the Black Eagle Instinct outsert/collar system and am having difficulty finding any reviews online. Is this an insert/outsert combo or just a collar that fits over the shaft? I had an issue with Carbon Express Kinetic Pierce Platinum outsert breaking on upon impacting an animal, and I don't want to repeat that.

It’s a combo as it is threaded, not just a collar. It’s heavy as hell at 100g, but so far I’ve found it to be damn tough. I really don’t see the outsert breaking before the shaft.....

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
It’s a combo as it is threaded, not just a collar. It’s heavy as hell at 100g, but so far I’ve found it to be damn tough. I really don’t see the outsert breaking before the shaft.....
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Is the combination 100 grains or just the collar?

Beendare

WKR
What is with all of the ends of these arrows breaking?

I‘ve been shooting the Axis for decades in my compound and now the Beman Centershots in my recurve and sure Ive bent a couple in the rocks after they blew through an animal but that would have happened collar or not.

I killed 3 animals with the Centershots/recurve in the last month that all buried in rocky soil or hit rocks and sure the BH was dinged up but the arrow was fine.

FWIW, I’ve had great performance from those shafts above.....you might want to look at other arrow mnfrs.

bobinmi

WKR
Just so you are totally clear. Nothing goes down inside the shaft. in fact without something screwed into the outsert you can look all the way down the shaft to the nock. The squaring process is very important with these arrows and if you don't have the ability to true the end of the shaft they are a pain in the ass to get square. Bomb proof once they are on though.

MrTim

FNG
They are pretty tough, I’ve only used them for stumping though. I liked the concept, but like bobinmi said, you need to spend a lot of time spin testing before you glue the outsert on. I tried them, but now I have moved on.

Kentucky

WKR
I won’t use them again due to the trouble it is to get them to spin straight.. but the ones I had where good..I lost arrows because the back busted at the nock when I hit something hard

JLowry

FNG
This system creates two different alignment points that HAVE to be exactly square...the end of the shaft and the end of the insert/outsert. That system also moves your broadhead out further from the shaft, which causes issues with alignment. The other thing I experienced was getting the square and having them later move slightly when hitting a solid object. They would start out spin balanced and then move slightly.
I think a much better system is to just foot the last 2 inches of the shaft with a piece of aluminum shaft that is beveled on the back end so it doesn't tear the target up. Pretty much a bomb-proof setup.

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
I'm really leaning towards these arrows but I just can't stomach an outsert. I'm thinking that I could install an Easton deep 6 HIT insert and that would help to reinforce the shaft of the arrow just behind the outsert. Good idea? Bad idea? Overkill?

bobinmi

WKR
I'm really leaning towards these arrows but I just can't stomach an outsert. I'm thinking that I could install an Easton deep 6 HIT insert and that would help to reinforce the shaft of the arrow just behind the outsert. Good idea? Bad idea? Overkill?
You could also go with the FOCOS system that they sell and not deal with deep six components. I wish the focos came standard on these and the deep impacts. I would spend the extra money for it. It bugs me a little that they have an improved option for the arrow and they require you to buy extra components to take advantage of it. Its not like these are bargain priced arrows to begin with, add an extra 40 bucks for components and it hurts a little when the stump is harder than anticipated.

oldgoat

WKR
I used the standard inserts that came with them on six of the first dozen arrows I bought, I went with the Ethics Archery aluminum collar and stainless insert for the other Dozen and a half I have, haven't shot the ones with the Ethics setup very much, but have shot the original 6 quite a bit, broke a couple off at the back of the insert hitting hard stuff practicing, haven't broken an Ethics setup yet, it's basically a footed arrow. I highly recommend replacing their nocks with Bohning nocks, they seemed weak to me and I've heard a few bad reports about the nocks BE uses.

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So i have been shooting these shafts with the 100g outsert for a while and love them. I will give you my trick that i have used with all of them to beef them up a bit. Before i glue on my outsert i put a 20g easton deep six insert in the shaft as a center pin. My thinking behind it was a poor man's valkyrie system and to date i have not snapped an end of an arrow. I have broken them in other ways but never the end. I shoot a 125 head and for a total weight up front of 245 with that system. Hope this was helpful.

oldgoat

WKR
So i have been shooting these shafts with the 100g outsert for a while and love them. I will give you my trick that i have used with all of them to beef them up a bit. Before i glue on my outsert i put a 20g easton deep six insert in the shaft as a center pin. My thinking behind it was a poor man's valkyrie system and to date i have not snapped an end of an arrow. I have broken them in other ways but never the end. I shoot a 125 head and for a total weight up front of 245 with that system. Hope this was helpful.
Certainly probably a lot cheaper than doing the Ethics Inserts and similarly physically.

Beendare

WKR
This system creates two different alignment points that HAVE to be exactly square...the end of the shaft and the end of the insert/outsert. That system also moves your broadhead out further from the shaft, which causes issues with alignment. The other thing I experienced was getting the square and having them later move slightly when hitting a solid object. They would start out spin balanced and then move slightly.
You nailed it ^

Its an expensive system that takes a lot of effort to get straight.....or you have to buy the more expensive components that are better....but still not perfect. Meh. You can have these expensive arrow systems. I say spend that time perfecting your shot and hunting skills.

FWIW, I’ve shot hundreds of animals with the std 6mm and Axis arrows and seen a bunch more killed by buddies. I’ve never had an arrow snap at the end in an animal. Ive had carbon arrows sheared off...and Ive had a few break in the rocks after a pass through.... sure But mostly it just dings up the BH or bends the BH. That says a lot about how strong the std insert systems and HIT inserts are.

——-

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly probably a lot cheaper than doing the Ethics Inserts and similarly physically.
Yes it is by far cheaper than the Ethics components even tho they make an outstanding product. I have also found that if you are really invested in one weight broadhead you can play with the front weight a lot. Places like iron will sell .166 insert weights as well so i have made arrows very heavy up front and not had to change heads. Food for thought.

oldgoat

WKR
Yes it is by far cheaper than the Ethics components even tho they make an outstanding product. I have also found that if you are really invested in one weight broadhead you can play with the front weight a lot. Places like iron will sell .166 insert weights as well so i have made arrows very heavy up front and not had to change heads. Food for thought.
Oh yeah, exactly why I bought the Ethics, I have a ton of 200 and 250gr cutthroats and 3 each 200 and 250gr valkiry, would of had to come up with some 175 gr broadheads otherwise with the 100gr ones that come with arrows.

I went through a couple dozen axis with my compound I had before. Of course I was pretty rough with them, but unless you have something covering the end of that shaft they'll wear down eventually. My issue was I used incorrect field points that were sized smaller than the shaft.

Last year I used BE Rampages with their outsert and had minimal issues keeping square. I had 2-3 out of 2 dozen that ended up coming out of spec, both of which hit something hard.

This year I am using RIP XV's with the Ethics collar and insert for my compound. I will be using Axis with IW components for my stick this year I think.

bdgr

FNG
I have been using these for a while now and really like them, hit a rock yesterday sent the arrow into the stratosphere but I was able to find it. The rock was a rounded river rock so didn't hit it square but still arrow was undamaged. As far as alignment I don't cut the end of the shaft I glue it to. I sand the end which is needed most of the time. I then take the full length arrow and begin bare shafting I cut from the nock end til the bare shaft flies true. That might alleviate some of the alignment issues others have brought up.