Black Eagle Rampage issues

GregB

WKR
So I'm new to bowhunting, I bought my first bow in May and have been trying to get ready for this season. I bought 18 Black Eagle Rampage .003" in a 300 spine. I could only get 10 of these to spin true, I asked a couple of people more experienced in archery and they said that was a pretty low number. I've had one nock break when it hit the target. Then today 2 of my arrows broke. One hit the plastic top of my block, so I could see that but I'm pretty sure the other broke when I shot it. The arrow flew high and left and when I found it it had broke an inch or so in front of the fletchings. I'm also having trouble getting broadheads to group with field points past 40 yds, this could be me since I'm fairly new to archery. I'm going on my first hunt 31 August and again 11 September. I'm trying to decide if I should order a couple .001" Rampages from Lancaster and save some money and time. Or should I spend the money get another arrow and try to get them built, sighted in and field points and broadheads grouped before I go hunting. I was also wondering if anyone else has had issues with the Rampages. The arrows I was looking at switching to are Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos, Pierce Platinum, or Victory VForce. I shoot a Bowtech Carbon Icon 70# 28.5" draw if that helps.

Trial153

WKR
I have built maybe 6 dozen rampages, they are decent arrows. Middle of the road in durability and are pretty consistant.
That said they dont take soild hits to the nock end well without adding a collar. I go so far as adding a flanged footing on the front and use a brass hit and on the nock end i use a gt bushing.

Its really important to nock tune ramapges for consistency in broadhead flight.
If your buying them pre fletched one thing that will help is to remove the nock a resquare the shaft.

mvmnts

WKR
I've bought 4 dozen rampages in .001. Besides issues with the inserts and the glue they sell, that I've posted about before, I've had little issue with the shafts. Every one has spun perfectly true (I square them myself). I've shot two shafts into a tree and both of them I was able to spin the shafts out with the inserts and pop new field points in them. I'm pleased with the durability (for their weight).

The broadhead tuning is a whole different ball game and probably has little to do with the arrows specifically. FWIW I have had good luck with tuning mine.

jestanw1

FNG
There is a lot of things that could be going on here. I don't have experience with the rampages personally but I shoot the BE Spartans and have loved them.

The first question I will ask is did you cut and build the arrows yourself?

The reason I ask is to see if the ends of the arrows were squared properly. If the ends of the arrows aren't square then they won't spin well like you suggested.

Also I personally try to stay away from outserts and half outs, They can cause some issues with the arrow spinning if not inserted properly or once they take some external damage.

The knock breaking could be a number of things. I switched my BE knocks out to easton knocks because I had heard of issues with the BE knocks.

Have you ever shot arrows that have contacted each other? This could cause the knock breaking as well as the 2 shafts breaking. It doesn't take much contact for it to damage an arrow.

Broadheads not flying well come back to the arrows not spinning well. if they don't spin well with field tips then a broadhead will only magnify this.

What type of broadhead are you shooting? Some broadheads fly great and others not so much. There is a number of things that could cause poor broadhead flight.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the difference in tolerances. .003 is a very straight arrow and BE has great tolerances. I will probably wrinkle someones panties for saying this but other then elite archers I dare say that most people can't tell a difference between a .003 and a .001 arrow. The straightness tolerance of an arrow changes after they have been cut also. I will say though that it does help a lot of people mentally knowing that their arrow is labeled as .001

I don't know how to answer your question as to what to buy but I would suggest the option that gets them in your hands the quickest. August 31 is 9 days away and a change in arrows may cause a change in arrow weight which will cause a change in your pins or sight tape.

The whole squaring issue as well as arrow could be tuned better spine wise. Not the biggest fan of rampages myself.

If you do go with different arrow, don't go for another component system, same thing will happen. Go with a non outsert system like Easton Axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
I've been shooting BE Rampages .001 for years and really like them but I did just order two more doz and about have of them did bot spin true. They fly great but don't spin perfect.

My last doz I cut and fletched all spun perfect.

mvmnts

WKR
You will have better luck putting the HIT inserts from Easton in them.

I've heard this, but I found that the tolerances on the HIT inserts did not match the Black Eagles as well as their own components. Do they tighten up when you glue them in?

I fletched up a bunch for a buddy to borrow for elk. I Used the Easton Axis insert (alumn) as well as a footer and a 4 fletch Vane-tec system and BE nocks, and they broad head group to a softball size out to 40 yards for him. He is new to archery/hunting but is a decent shot. I got the .001 version, cut them myself and squared them up. So far we haven't seen any structural issues or spinning issues.