Black eagle spartan setup

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
Purchased a dozen Spartans 250's and I'm working on building them. I am looking a the 30 and 75 grain weight inserts from black eagle and the 50 grain halfouts from kudu. What are the pros and cons of either setup? My total arrow weight with each setup is 467 and 512 with the inserts and 482 with the kudu halfouts. My set up is a hoyt pro defiant set at 80lbs and a 27.5" draw.

UtahJimmy

WKR
If you're shooting 80# I'd go with the 75 gr insert weights, those things will hit hard and have a killer FOC.

I wouldn't mess with halfouts if I didn't have to. Benefit of the Kudu weights is they can be added after an arrow is built. Benefit of insert weights is they are inside the shaft and aren't taking any transfer of force/energy of impact.

Reactions: Zac

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the spartans, but at 70 lbs and a 300 spine. My biggest wish is that they made an extended wrench like gold tip does to change out the insert weights. I'd like to be shooting through paper with each and shoot long range and make a determination without being stuck with that added insert weight. I'd like to potentially switch to the higher weight (have the 30 right now), but I'm stuck.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I shoot the spartans, but at 70 lbs and a 300 spine. My biggest wish is that they made an extended wrench like gold tip does to change out the insert weights. I'd like to be shooting through paper with each and shoot long range and make a determination without being stuck with that added insert weight. I'd like to potentially switch to the higher weight (have the 30 right now), but I'm stuck.

I too was disappointed​ they don't offer a tool. So made my own weight system.

Tool: Allen key cut and welded to a steel rod.

Weight: 8-32 socket head cap screws in different lengths. Turned the head down to ~.220" (I remove the factory bushings) and ground to desired weight.

A little blue Loctite on the threads. If I want to swap them out I can, but they are flying like darts so I'm happy!

Cost for everything is under $15 which is cheaper than the GT tool alone. I put together a thread on AT with pictures and details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Can you post the link to the thread? I can't seem to find it. Definitely interested in this.

dkoster02

FNG
I’m new to the technicals of arrow builds. I’ve broken down the setup I was recommended by my pro shop, and I’ve got a question if anyone wants to give an opinion.

I’m shooting 74 pounds, 29.5” draw, and a 443 grain Spartan 300 spine.

If I’m shooting a cut on contact head, do you think I’d have any penetration or hitting bone problems (for the most part) with that set up, or should I go heavier FOC.

I appreciate the advice.

KyleR1985

WKR
You could just buy one or two shafts of your choosing from Lancaster, a field tip test kit from ethics archery, stick one stock insert in, and shoot from 100gr up to 300gr on front end to see what works best. Then order a dozen, and the appropriate ethics half outs or insert/footer system that allows you to shoot normal 100 or 125 heads. Easy as pie.

dkoster02

FNG
Thanks KyleR1985
You could just buy one or two shafts of your choosing from Lancaster, a field tip test kit from ethics archery, stick one stock insert in, and shoot from 100gr up to 300gr on front end to see what works best. Then order a dozen, and the appropriate ethics half outs or insert/footer system that allows you to shoot normal 100 or 125 heads. Easy as pie.

thanks man

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
You can use the weights and wrench for the Rampage/Renegades on the Spartans and be able to change weights out from the nock end

Zac

WKR
I’m new to the technicals of arrow builds. I’ve broken down the setup I was recommended by my pro shop, and I’ve got a question if anyone wants to give an opinion.

If I’m shooting a cut on contact head, do you think I’d have any penetration or hitting bone problems (for the most part) with that set up, or should I go heavier FOC.

I appreciate the advice.
Honestly if you have a super sharp head you shouldn't have problems. Penetration is actually most affected by arrow flight. I believe I've done enough broadhead testing to conclude that most fixed blades need a substantial amount of work to fly perfect. What I'm getting at is that you need to ensure your arrow is flying perfect with a broadhead on, and not worry so much about your numbers. That being said your specs sound fine.

Trial153

WKR

I appreciate the advice.
I think your a bit light myself