Black Hills, SD Hiking/Horn Shed Hunting

Krisko

FNG
My 10yo son is wanting to do some hiking and exlploring this late April. Due to Canada locking up the borders we haven't been able to go fishing last year and not looking good for this year. So we are planning a couple out west camping/hiking and bonus horn shed experience. He has really gotten excited about hunting and exploring. We figured we would maybe make a trip from western Wisconsin to the Black Hills. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on some areas that would be good for camping and hiking at the end of April this year, and may have a higher probablilty of finding a shed from a deer or better yet an elk for him. I'm not looking for a honey hole by any means, or if someone else has any suggestions. I'm not even sure yet where the wintering areas for elk are out there. Thanks for any suggestions....greatly appreciated.

bruno59

WKR
check out mt. rushmore then drive about 10 or 15 minutes away to sylvan lake you have to pay to get in then hike to Black elk peak(Harney peak) and go all the way up till the lookout tower some real nice views up there than on the way back down there is a trail on the left that will take you to cathedral spires than that same trail will take you back to the lake like a big loop as far as sheds there are deer everywhere and some small herds of elk just pick a place in the hills and start looking there is a ton of hiking in the black hills should be fun for both of you

I did the Harney peak loop last year. Definitely a cool area. I don't know how true this is but I was told the elk winter on the west side of the BH. I would look for areas that are harder to access. That is usually where I find elk. I would assume its the same down there. We have found a couple deer sheds dinking around down there. But we were never actually shed hunting. Last year I even found a deadhead in a lake. The fishing is pretty good for trout. I have never been there fishing that early though. I don't know the season but you might be able to turkey hunt also? Something to look into if you are into that.

rbljack

WKR
its been many years since I lived in that area (belle Fourche, SD), but I used to deer hunt in a place called Bear lodge Mtns over in Wyoming. Its also close to some other cool attractions like devils tower and mt rushmore. There is a hiking trail that goes all the way around the base of devils tower. I cant tell ya if that's (bear Lodge mtns) a elk winter area or not, and whether or not you will find elk sheds there....but I have found a few deer sheds there back in the mid 80's-early 90's. Yeah...its been a while! Don't forget to take a fishing pole or two. If you fly fish..even better. there are trout streams worth hitting while there if you want a broad outdoor experience. Some other neat things to see while you are out there would be needles highway (there are mtn goats in that country), custer state park (buffalo), crazy horse, the town of deadwood. LOTS of places to go.

Might I suggest you bring a spotter and tripod along with a phoneskope set up for a phone. That way, even if you don't find any sheds, you can probably get some cool shots of wildlife to take back for memories for years to come!

Gorp2007

WKR
If you want established campsite camping it's hard to beat Custer State Park. There's elk in there and you're close enough to hit up Wind Cave National Park and drive up to Sylvan Lake. Plus there are good trails and you can find bison skeletons, which are cool.

You can camp anywhere in the Hills you want outside of the State and National Park areas, but mind the burn bans.

You didn't mention what you're looking for in terms of mileage, but there are some great short mileage hikes that my kids loved. The Purple Pie Shop in Custer is also a great way to refuel after your adventures.

OP
Krisko

Krisko

FNG
If you want established campsite camping it's hard to beat Custer State Park. There's elk in there and you're close enough to hit up Wind Cave National Park and drive up to Sylvan Lake. Plus there are good trails and you can find bison skeletons, which are cool.

You can camp anywhere in the Hills you want outside of the State and National Park areas, but mind the burn bans.

You didn't mention what you're looking for in terms of mileage, but there are some great short mileage hikes that my kids loved. The Purple Pie Shop in Custer is also a great way to refuel after your adventures.
You had me at 🥧 lol....we are preparing now for hiking looking at 5 miles a day probably

Gorp2007

WKR
If my kids had been a little older or if I were a little bolder I would have loved to do French Creek in Custer, never made it there solo. Cool trail through a slot creek and it's supposed to have pretty good fishing.

Turkey Season starts April 10, so you could give that a shot, too.

KurtR

WKR
Make sure to bring your snow boot and gear that time of year is good for a dumping or two. We haven’t had much this year I think spring is going to pay us back with some snow

Voyageur

WKR
Make sure to bring your snow boot and gear that time of year is good for a dumping or two. We haven’t had much this year I think spring is going to pay us back with some snow
Today your words are sounding prophetic, Kurt.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I turkey hunted in the BH last year, saw more elk then turkeys I think! I was more focused on finding birds so I didnt bump into a shed but I ran across herds of 50-75 several times. Fun times out there, you can camp anywhere in the BH for free just cant have fires. As others have said late April can be a real roll of the dice weather wise, could be 70 and sunny or 15 with a foot of snow.

I turkey hunted in the BH last year, saw more elk then turkeys I think! I was more focused on finding birds so I didnt bump into a shed but I ran across herds of 50-75 several times. Fun times out there, you can camp anywhere in the BH for free just cant have fires. As others have said late April can be a real roll of the dice weather wise, could be 70 and sunny or 15 with a foot of snow.
Interesting to hear of elk groups that large out there. You nailed it with the weather. We always get a big storm end of April beginning of May. Never fails. Keep an eye on the reports.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I took some video on my phone of one of the huge herds crossing the road in front of my truck- the next day when chasing gobbles I ran across the same big group a couple miles away. Funny as I hunted SW CO for elk for 5 days and never saw one...go to SD and hunt turkeys and see hundreds of them.