Black Hills, SD Hiking/Horn Shed Hunting

OP
Krisko

Krisko

FNG
Getting ready to head out in a little over a week...any other suggestions? My son is super excited after reading some of this and reading some stuff on Facebook.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to head out in a little over a week...any other suggestions? My son is super excited after reading some of this and reading some stuff on Facebook.
Mud levels are going to dictate where you can & cannot go when you're there. There are a few spots I try not to miss when we go out, but it snowed & rained recently so we may miss it this time. If the snow is melted south of the hills, there's a trailhead for Hell's Canyon on the north side of the road close to Jewel Cave on Hwy16. Very, VERY cool hike. It's a loop, took 3 kids (ages 5, 12, & 15) 8 years ago in the summer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-184436_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-184436_Chrome.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 25

wytx

WKR
Better check the weather, we have a series of systems coming in next week with snow.

bliner

FNG
I would second the recommendation to check out Custer State Park and go hiking around the needles, very cool country. I used to live in the Black Hills and found this a few years ago.

5209b01ecc181f5ce956beae5f9b4599.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
In and around Wind Cave and Custer you can also find a bison skeleton or two if you get off the beaten path, which is cool for the kids. We had one in Custer that basically became a must-see stop for our kids any time we drove through.

Drewe023

FNG
My 10yo son is wanting to do some hiking and exlploring this late April. Due to Canada locking up the borders we haven't been able to go fishing last year and not looking good for this year. So we are planning a couple out west camping/hiking and bonus horn shed experience. He has really gotten excited about hunting and exploring. We figured we would maybe make a trip from western Wisconsin to the Black Hills. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on some areas that would be good for camping and hiking at the end of April this year, and may have a higher probablilty of finding a shed from a deer or better yet an elk for him. I'm not looking for a honey hole by any means, or if someone else has any suggestions. I'm not even sure yet where the wintering areas for elk are out there. Thanks for any suggestions....greatly appreciated.
I am curious. I am going to be doing this with my son (11) this first part of April! Can you give me any tips/suggestions you did!?

Drewe023

FNG
I turkey hunted in the BH last year, saw more elk then turkeys I think! I was more focused on finding birds so I didnt bump into a shed but I ran across herds of 50-75 several times. Fun times out there, you can camp anywhere in the BH for free just cant have fires. As others have said late April can be a real roll of the dice weather wise, could be 70 and sunny or 15 with a foot of snow.
I am curious. I am going to be doing this with my son (11) this first part of April! Can you give me any tips/suggestions you did!?
I took some video on my phone of one of the huge herds crossing the road in front of my truck- the next day when chasing gobbles I ran across the same big group a couple miles away. Funny as I hunted SW CO for elk for 5 days and never saw one...go to SD and hunt turkeys and see hundreds of them.
I am taking my son in a couple of weeks. Just curious where you seen the elk! I think that would be a super neat thing to show him. I’m sure they move around but would love an idea on where to start! Thank you!

Drewe023

FNG
Ok. We might be that way. We would be in the Badlands area and would be happy to show you a cool spot.
Hi Fatcamp. I am taking my son out there to do this exact same thing for a school project. Would love any information you have on cool spots. Not very familiar with the area but it where we are going to start! Thank you! :)