Black Hills SD Turkey Hunting

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone!

I have had my Black Hills turkey tag for a while now and have been planning on going out there sometime between the last week of April and the first week of May. I am not trying to ask for spots to go or anything of that nature, I just had a few simple questions as this will be my first western hunt of any sort.

Is there any advice that you wish you would have received before your first hunt in that area? Like, what supplies you did or didn't bring with you that you would change, general demeanor of locals/landowners toward nonresidents, land accessibility, things of that nature. Like I said, not trying to encroach on anyone's spots or honey holes. Most of the info I can find on this area on the forums is fairly dated, so I figured I would take my chances. If you would feel more comfortable, feel free to message me!

Thanks!

jmez

WKR
Over a million acres of Black Hills Nationals forest to hunt. I wouldn't worry about talking to land owners. I live here, have permission on private property and rarely hunt it. Hills are closer and full of turkeys.

Bring winter gear. We get a lot of snow in the "spring" and it still gets cold. It was 12 degrees yesterday and this am. We got a foot of snow over the weekend.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RB1

Ace531

FNG
Agree, there's no shortage of available public land to hunt, so I wouldn't worry about finding private land to hunt. I would also utilize a mapping app like onx, gaia, etc. Be prepared for any kind of weather...it could be 70+ one day, and 40 and cold the next. Don't be afraid to call loud and often since calling frequently doesn't turn them off the way it can with easterns. Be prepared to put on some miles both driving and walking. Best bet is to get away from the roads. Otherwise be prepared to hunt an awesome bird in incredibly beautiful country! If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the first day did not go as well as I hoped. Walked about 16 miles and only saw one small pile of turkey droppings, no tracks, or birds (did not even see any from the road with as much ground as I covered today). Right at dark I tried one last spot and heard a very distant gobble way off; pretty sure it was on private. Definitely discouraging but I am going to get after it again tomorrow.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the first day did not go as well as I hoped. Walked about 16 miles and only saw one small pile of turkey droppings, no tracks, or birds (did not even see any from the road with as much ground as I covered today). Right at dark I tried one last spot and heard a very distant gobble way off; pretty sure it was on private. Definitely discouraging but I am going to get after it again tomorrow.
They are out there. Talked to some guys that just got back and they were on gobbling birds everyday and all tagged out. There are 2million acres...if you dont find them in one area, drive 15 minutes in any direction and try there!

Okie_3

FNG
What is the camping situation there? Planning on coming up around the 16th. Are there places to park a trailer and camp? Read where developed campsites were closed through May?

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
All campgrounds are closed thru end of may. You can disperse camp about anywhere you just won’t have electric, water,etc. I’ll be sleeping in my truck wherever I find birds

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you just want to, you can probably avoid camping. I was planning on camping but ended up finding hotels for like 35 bucks a night. Some even cheaper than that.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you just want to, you can probably avoid camping. I was planning on camping but ended up finding hotels for like 35 bucks a night. Some even cheaper than that.
Ha ya Im guessing they are mighty cheap right now!

Okie_3

FNG
Well it’s more of a “want” to camp instead of “have” to camp. I do appreciate it though.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading out there this weekend and staying for a week or until I get one. No snow in the forecast anyway...

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
did you end up getting a bird?

jmez

WKR
I'm heading out there this weekend and staying for a week or until I get one. No snow in the forecast anyway...
Don't let the forecast fool you. It will be 70 and beautiful with no precip forecasted for 10 days. 1/2 hour later you will get a winter storm warning on your phone.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Don't let the forecast fool you. It will be 70 and beautiful with no precip forecasted for 10 days. 1/2 hour later you will get a winter storm warning on your phone.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

If you dont like the forecast you see, just keep searching online until you find one that you do. I'm sure next week will be between 0-100 degrees with a 10-90% chance of rain/hail/snow/locusts

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Well despite my comments above, I cannot find a forecast that looks decent for the BH next week. lows in the 20's, highs in the 30's and chance to rain/snow pretty much everyday. I'm going to have to eat my tag as I dont want to drive 10 hours and be wet and miserable everyday. I'd go the last week of the month but my schedule wont allow it.

You sure didnt miss much today. 15 degree windchill at daylight 20+ mph sustained winds all day with gusts to near 40! Finally died right right at dark. Struck a single gobble with howler. Maybe he will cooperate in the morn.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
that doesnt sound like the best turkey weather for sure! I was able to work something out so I plan to head out Wednesday this week- forecast still calls for rain every single day thru Saturday but hopefully they are scattered and not all day soakers.