Black Hills SD Turkey Hunting

Lawnboi

WKR
You can’t predict the weather at all out there. Give it a go and have a good time.
With a bad forecast atleast you know it’s going to be nasty. Beats heading out thinking it’s going to be 70 calm and sunny only to get rained on daily with 60mph winds. That’s been my experience with western SD for quite a few years.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
You can’t predict the weather at all out there. Give it a go and have a good time.
With a bad forecast atleast you know it’s going to be nasty. Beats heading out thinking it’s going to be 70 calm and sunny only to get rained on daily with 60mph winds. That’s been my experience with western SD for quite a few years.
I hear ya although since Im camping and going solo not really interested in sitting in a wet tent or be stuck in my truck if its going to rain all day. Also would be another thing if at the very least if its a wash out you could go sit and hang out at the local bar and talk to locals but you cant even do that right now!!

jmez

WKR
If it rains all day several days in a row it will be the first time I've ever seen that in 20+ years out here. 100% chance today, it's been misting for about an hour.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I hunt cats, deer and turkey in the hills. We were out there last week hunting turkey. Worked our butts off and filled one tag. Had a blast and spent quite a bit of time joking about the weather. Black hills weather forcasts are so inaccurate its comical. I've driven 6 hrs in the middle of the night on a 90% chance of 4 to 6 inches of snow to track a cat on....only to turn right back around because of 0 snow.. this last trip, we planned on being stuck in the wall tent all day Thursday, and it was a beautiful day. The two things I pay attention to are Blizzard warning, and severe thunderstorm warning. Other than that...they are just guessing out

Ill be headed back out next weekend to try and fill a Custer State Park tag I drew...regardless of the forecast. Hopefully I don't get gored by a buffalo or catch the Covids from a tourist....there were lots of cows with fresh calves, and a pile of NY license plates in there last week...plus we busted a lion off of a fresh kill...livin dangerously for just trying to blast a damn turkey!

You sure didnt miss much today. 15 degree windchill at daylight 20+ mph sustained winds all day with gusts to near 40! Finally died right right at dark. Struck a single gobble with howler. Maybe he will cooperate in the morn.

He did. Started snowing pretty good on my walk out!

Attachments

• PICT_20200510_055945.JPG
    PICT_20200510_055945.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 54

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I’m out here now. Quite a bit of hunting pressure from what I’ve seen

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Some gobbling but the dumb things mainly seem to still be with hens so getting them to respond more then once is a challenge. I was 20 yards from a group of gobblers- was walking up to a ridge to call and there they were. If i was faster i probably could have shot one before they ran off

Also so far the ol weather man has been quite accurate, its a downpour currently and its been on and off rain since I got here Tuesday afternoon. that doesnt help things

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Bailed after morning hunt rained out- forecasted to rain tomorrow too so I just went home. I did have luck in S.D. and almost got one in Wyoming

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I found a good way to get away from hunters is to pick spots so steep no one as dumb as me would try it!

also everything I read said they are really easy to gobble on the roost- well I never did hear one in 4 days- not one gobble could hear them fly up though

Law Dog

FNG
Went 5 for 6 tags this year 2 Hills birds, 2 prairie birds and a WI bird. The Hills birds can be easy or tough, if your within 25-30 miles of a town expect other hunters. You need to get up before the others and go further then they do will to get a bird.

I could of roaded 4 birds but that’s like kissing my own Sister not thrilling at all. LOL Best to drive roads to locate birds the get there the next AM For the best results. Had many a Hills bird hammer and keep hammering as he walked away.

It‘s getting harder to hunt the logging roads now with the UTVs driving them so walking seems pointless at times best to work the woods when you can. Nothing worst then hiking in a mile or more to have a off road vehicle ruin the hunt. Often you can see a problem area by the roads being ripped up, most guys use them right.

Took the neighbor kid out on June 28th and the flocks were still together weird year.

Reactions: RB1

Tellis88

FNG
I may have to try the hills out next year I hunted Nebraska 2 years ago but plan on hitting multiple states in one trip next year

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to try the hills out next year I hunted Nebraska 2 years ago but plan on hitting multiple states in one trip next year
It was a great time. If you have any questions or anything feel free to shoot me a message.