Black Hills Turkey Trip

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I posted in another thread but I killed one my first full day in SD then went over to WY to try for one- only got one full day in before being rained out but I chased gobbling birds all over the place on both sides of the border. Was tough to get one to play ball but they sure like to randomly gobble just enough to keep you putting on the miles! Fun times though

Fatcamp

WKR
This was a tough hunt. We called in multiple groups of hens but never had a Tom with them. Did you end up having any luck?

Nope. Got a few days left of the season but I am working overnights so we are done. We are hunting the east side of the state but intend to go back west next year and hunt the Black Hills.KIMG2892.JPG

The boy put in lots of work. Very proud. Sucks to admit defeat, but he will have antelope and deer mentor tags and those are not a problem to find and shoot. Kind of a good thing to taste some failure. If he sticks with hunting there is more to come for sure.

We learned a ton. If we could start the season over with our new knowledge I honestly think we would have killed some birds.

Ronald

FNG
Hello all. Was wondering if any of you veterans for South Dakota could tell me if your spring started way late this year? I posted some 3 weeks ago in here where my wife & I got skunked after putting 110% in our 4 day hunt. We came back the last week and it was a big difference with birds gobbling everyday and both of us filling our tags on the last morning. From 11 days of hunting my mind is telling me it was just getting right as it was over?There was way too many hens running around with no gobblers!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
No spring was pretty normal this year. Later in the season is always better.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Currently have a trip booked the weekend of April 17th - just curious if I have this timing right or if I’m better off going the weekend of the 8th or 15th of May? Planning on going to the Hill City area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCHunt29

FNG
Currently have a trip booked the weekend of April 17th - just curious if I have this timing right or if I’m better off going the weekend of the 8th or 15th of May? Planning on going to the Hill City area.

We will be there May 8th to the 11th before heading to Kansas near the same area. I have a local who is working in the area helping me out on a good spot to start...or hopefully a few. If going to be there the same or after us let me know and maybe can help out some. I've hunted merriams in WY many years, but this will be first time back and on public.

drmatara

FNG
For turkey hunting, I think a shot gun is the best bet and make sure you call a biologist because not all areas have turkey.

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
We will be there May 8th to the 11th before heading to Kansas near the same area. I have a local who is working in the area helping me out on a good spot to start...or hopefully a few. If going to be there the same or after us let me know and maybe can help out some. I've hunted merriams in WY many years, but this will be first time back and on public.

Happy to swap some intel! Having a starting point would be huge and I can certainly fill you in on what worked/didn’t work after our hunt

NCHunt29

FNG
Happy to swap some intel! Having a starting point would be huge and I can certainly fill you in on what worked/didn’t work after our hunt

Not sure can message you on here so if have a good way to contact you let me know. Have yall finalized dates yet for your trip?