Black Hills Turkey Trip

Gorp2007

WKR
We hadn’t planned on it but I definitely could bring one. I just wasn’t sure if it would be worth dragging a trailer along to haul it out there.

Be aware that a lot of the UTV trails don’t open up until May 15th or later depending on the weather. I never felt like I needed one, but I also don’t own one so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing.

jmez

WKR
You don't need it. You can run around the FS roads quite a bit faster than with your pickup. Most of the roads are pretty good, a few I wouldn't want to tackle in a truck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Cobie33

FNG
Have shot several out there over the years. Always went the last week in April or first week in May. Like others have said, snow is always a possibility. One yr we were going to hunt the first week of May staying at Mallo Camp just over the WY border. Two days before we were to be there they got dumped on (a few feet of snow) so punted and stayed in Custer where the snow wasn't as drastic. The second day there we got 10" of snow. Still got into birds though. The birds are there but you have to cover ground to find them. Hens, like everywhere else will either help you or hurt you. The hens are much more vocal than the Easterns we have in Iowa and sometimes seem to have track shoes on as they move away quickly with your gobbler. We always did a lot of walking the ridges to strike birds using boatpaddles, aluminum or crystal faced pot calls and regular boxes. Never used an ATV/UTV. Walked behind alot of locked gates too. I always enjoy the Hills and Merriam's are my favorite to chase.

the hack

WKR
I'm a novice and went out last year for the first time the third week of April. Many of the forest service road are closed until the beginning of May. I took a "semi-guided" approach. My guide and I drove about 120 miles in a half day. We drove to each closed gate and walked in a few hundred yards and called. I saw one hen and heard ZERO gobbles. I hunted alone and set up the next AM at sunrise in a place I was told held birds. Called in a hen and killed a gobbler. Was tagged out by 10 am. That afternoon I drove over to WY and got an OTC Black Hills WY turkey tag.

The next AM I didn't see sign or hear any gobbles. Walked about six miles calling the kitchen sink. Nothing. Finally got a gobble to a hawk call. Belly crawled and shot a gobbler.

It's better to be lucky than good!
I'm going back again this year. Beautiful country and birds.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Im planning on trying Black Hills this spring- didnt set a date but probably either last week of April or start of May. Driving out from NW WI- should be great scenery if nothing else and a good way to social distance myself! I believe most campgrounds are open and free currently so should be a pretty cheap trip. I've never hunted them out there, been in the area on a family trip a couple years ago to Rushmore. Im going to wing it , drive some roads in the evening see if i can get some to shock gobble and use that as a starting point.

jmez

WKR
Campgrounds may be "open" but restrooms and showers will be locked up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Looking further all the campgrounds within the Black Hills Natl Forest are closed thru the end of April. I'll have to get creative or just go in May, assuming they dont extend things

Gorp2007

WKR
Looking further all the campgrounds within the Black Hills Natl Forest are closed thru the end of April. I'll have to get creative or just go in May, assuming they dont extend things

They closed the campgrounds, but did they actually close camping? Unless they prohibited camping, you can still go out and park in a clearing and set up your tent. Just don't have any open fires and you can camp just about anywhere on forest service land.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up that talking with GF & P they might close the season to non residents here also. Nebraska just did this and talking with a conservation officer it might happen. Governor just issued a “shall remain home” executive order for residents today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
They closed the campgrounds, but did they actually close camping? Unless they prohibited camping, you can still go out and park in a clearing and set up your tent. Just don't have any open fires and you can camp just about anywhere on forest service land.
Good point, they just closed the developed sites. You can camp anywhere in the BH natl forest for nothing, that is still open

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up that talking with GF & P they might close the season to non residents here also. Nebraska just did this and talking with a conservation officer it might happen. Governor just issued a “shall remain home” executive order for residents today.

I already purchased mine. Like you say a few states have put a halt on selling any further NR licenses

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
I already purchased mine. Like you say a few states have put a halt on selling any further NR licenses

What I’m hearing is closing hunting down to non residents entering the state. Refund of tags. Can’t get through to anyone at their office to confirm this. Talked with the officer yesterday while out in the hills myself.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
What I’m hearing is closing hunting down to non residents entering the state. Refund of tags. Can’t get through to anyone at their office to confirm this. Talked with the officer yesterday while out in the hills myself.

I would really doubt that but who knows. No state has done what you state above - KY requires NR hunters to self quarantine for 14 days but you can still go

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider

SD doesnt have any 'shall remain home' order currently. Not sure where you got the info above. SD governor just said the below the other day as well. Obviously that can change but SD is not on shelter in place and I spoke with a SD biologist who noted the season is going on as planned for residents and NR.

"Our team’s decision-making is guided by the realities on the ground in South Dakota, rather than trying to apply a one-size-fits-all approach,” South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said in a written statement. “South Dakota is not New York City.”

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I should note SD has 'stay at home' but only for Lincoln and Minnehaha counties and if you are 65 and older

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to trying the Black Hills myself in a few weeks once school finals wrap up. I appreciate everyone on here willing to offer helpful advice and things to be aware of going forward. Thanks, guys!