Black Hills Turkey Trip

jmez

WKR
Hope no one came this weekend! We got a foot of snow over weekend.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Hope no one came this weekend! We got a foot of snow over weekend.

ha pretty much standard procedure for Black Hills. I'm in NW WI and it was a full blown whiteout on Easter this past Sunday. 15 degrees this AM and turkey opener here is tomorrow- I'll need all my late season gear

OP
Hunter2

Hunter2

FNG
Thanks again to everyone who replied with advice. With everything going on we decided to wait until next year for our trip to the black hills. Just going to stay home and hunt Ohio this year.

Tuglife13

FNG
I’m headed for the Black Hills Second weekend of May, we had planned to go back to Nebraska but didn’t get tags early enough. One of these day I’m gonna take three weeks and make a big loop starting at home in Missouri, then to Nebraska South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be out there the week of May 17th. Hopefully late enough to miss snow

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't plan on being late enough to miss snow until June 1.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't plan on being late enough to miss snow until June 1.

Right, hence my 'hopefully'. Im in northern WI- you arent out of the woods for significant snowfall until freaking July. Assuming not a foot drops, snow is awesome to hunt turkeys in- takes all the mystery of figuring out where they have been!

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to hijack the thread, but luckily getting a chance to go this weekend. Any advice or things you wish you would have known before your first time out there? Thanks, everyone!

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I’m headed for the Black Hills Second weekend of May, we had planned to go back to Nebraska but didn’t get tags early enough. One of these day I’m gonna take three weeks and make a big loop starting at home in Missouri, then to Nebraska South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas.
You took the words out of my mouth. I'm planning a 3-4 week loop next year. Can't wait.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to SD in a couple weeks to chase them...anyone hunt them around Custer?
I talked to a SD biologist the other day - summary was pretty much their are birds everywhere in the black hills so you really cant start about anywhere.

Ronald

FNG
Found this forum 2 weeks ago while my wife and I hunted 4 solid days and couldn't connect. Tried to find locals to see if it was late, early, more, or less birds than normal but only saw non residents that were having issues as well. We burned 2 full tanks of gas and rented 2 ebikes to ride back country . I crow called till I was blue in the face. We got into the last morning which was a riot but couldn't seal the deal. Had buddies tell me all there spots from 5 years ago but no good. Now boarding a plane to hunt the last week and try it again. Absolutely beautiful country! Congratulations to all who figured it out out there!

Voyageur

WKR
I must suck at turkey hunting me and the kid have went last two years and not got any thing. Last year it snowed the three days we were there so that didnt help. That was that may snow
Don't feel alone. I've hunted turkeys for 30+ years in south central SD and figured I was a pretty good turkey hunter. Decided to change things up this year and enjoy turkey hunting in the Hills. Well, I sure enjoyed the Hills (as I always do), but certainly accomplished nothing to give me confidence in my turkey hunting abilities. Two trips totaling 9 days of hunting and not even a close encounter. Not sure I'll get back out this year, but already looking forward to next season. I feel as if a challenge has been issued...