Black Hills vs Nebraska Mule Deer Hunting

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
ya I was talking west river. Now that they messed the draw system up for the whiners I think it might change but who knows how
Yeah it’s definitely unfortunate that it’s limited on fist draw now. Use to be able to pick up an East River buck tag after missing out on Black Hills and West River. Now it’s just left over doe tags. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for the doe tags. We likely can’t change it. So I guess embracing it is all we can do. I’ve been studying more draw statistics and have been scouting new areas on OnX trying to find more hunts. Also toying around with taking that first out of state hunt. Change is always hard to overcome. It gets us out of our comfort zone. It can also lead you to the next great thing that you didn’t know exist.

Fatcamp

WKR
Glad I built up some points. Can draw a few different tags and have a really good shot at MZ for 2020.

Strongly considering a cow elk tag for 2020. We will never draw bull, and I would like some tasty elk meat.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wouldn’t count on any hunt in SD, plan it but don’t be surprised when they change the rules in June.

I wish they would come up with a plan and stick with it for 3-5 years before folding to complaining.

Last edited:

Gutshotem

WKR
With no guarantee, regardless of the amount of points you have, I wish that SD would conduct their draw a few months earlier so I would have better options for a plan B.

Fatcamp

WKR
Besides a straight preference point system and max points none of us really ever know if we will draw.

Just like every other state you need to educate yourself and make a best guess. Read maps and study past draws, we all know the drill. I understand what you are saying though, SD and WY app and draw dates suck for working together.

My goal this year is to build an Excel sheet for all my potential application, draw, and hunt dates. Maybe I can make some sense of it.

Fatcamp

WKR
Understanding the draw and being flexible on location are key to tags. I draw tags because I don't care where I hunt. All I need is a good amount of public land and I am happy.

Slot of people I know insist on hunting one particular unit. That also happens to be the unit 2,000 other people insist on hunting. Adapt or go to the mall with the wife.

KurtR

WKR
Yep that is exactly why the draw system that worked fine had to be changed for the whiners that would not go out of their home county to hunt. Hunting a whitetail buck every year with a rifle east and west river is 100% if you can read draw odds. Mule deer is a every other year affair west river.

Healy2

FNG
I’m new to this site and I also plan on going to Nebraska mule deer/Whitetail hunting on public. Broth82 if you don’t mind, could you help me out with some areas to look into? I’m primarily as of now looking into the pine ridge area. Thanks

McKenny

FNG
If you don’t mind doe tags there are a few units in SW Nebraska that have otc seasons choice tags that come with a bonus tag. Two doe tags for roughly $100 hunt which ever seasons you want/can. Great way to get into mule deer hunting and affordable.

Mike308

FNG
Areas in Nebraska have some good numbers of Mule deer, but not a lot of public access.

Scottyboy

WKR
My experience in Nebraska has been phenomenal, albeit private land. I would weigh your pros and cons and choose accordingly

Isn’t the only new proposal the 500$ non resident east river special tag?

with half our property in Minnesota it’s hard to burn one of my 2 first choices on east river.

whatchou guys think mzl will take this year? I got 3 points.

Fatcamp

WKR
IDK about any ER stuff.

MZ takes two or better. Three has a chance. Do you know how to check draw statistics on SDGFP?

KurtR

WKR
It will take 3. ML sucked this year with loud crunchy snow. Will be hunting antelope, mule deer west riv and whitetail east riv this year and probably a bighorn I’m feeling lucky haha

IDK about any ER stuff.

MZ takes two or better. Three has a chance. Do you know how to check draw statistics on SDGFP?

got that SDGFP on open tab all the time.

I think with the squared points it’s going to get harder and harder to draw tag as coveted tag likethe muzzleloader. 2 years ago 2 points was guaranteed. Unintended consequence of 2-6 choices on first draw and allowing points buying in all seasons you don’t draw.

486CBA48-11EA-465C-B045-46F80A104EB9.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
got that SDGFP on open tab all the time.

I think with the squared points it’s going to get harder and harder to draw tag as coveted tag likethe muzzleloader. 2 years ago 2 points was guaranteed. Unintended consequence of 2-6 choices on first draw and allowing points buying in all seasons you don’t draw.

View attachment 156789

I think it might make it easier to get the ML tag as more people want Bh and east and west river since they whined they could not hunt close to home every year. After having the Ml tag last year it is so weather dependent and I feel over rated. I might just buy points and if the situation fits apply when needed. My group has it worked out where some one will get a any deer tag every year so we will always be able to chase Muleys with the rifle

Fatcamp

WKR
I think ML will clear out after awhile. We are applying this year with three or four. Drew last year with one so we are both waiting on rifle now. Gonna apply LQ in Wyoming as well.

I can see how weather could hurt you in ML, but with a whole month I feel like we have a good chance at finding a nice one.

Archery, though. Cannot wait.

I think ML will clear out after awhile. Drew last year with one so we are both waiting on rifle now. Gonna apply LQ in Wyoming as well.

I can see how weather could hurt you in ML, but with a whole month I feel like we have a good chance at finding a nice one.

Archery, though. Cannot wait.

how’d you draw a mzl tag with one point? Landowner?

Fatcamp

WKR
how’d you draw a mzl tag with one point? Landowner?

We drew rifle with one so now we are waiting. No way to draw a mule deer tag with zero points, not where we hunt anyway. We have three or four MZ points and a decent chance at drawing at least one tag.

We could have a bomb Fall or a fizzle. No sure things in our plan but a decent chance at MZ deer, antelope, and elk. So hard to plan as we have no idea what everyone else will do.

Like I said, though, gonna hunt archery for sure. 😉