Black Hornets and low poundage bows.

GreggB

FNG
Black Hornets and low poundage bows. Does anyone have some real life experince with these heads at lower poundage? My setup is 50 lbs, 290 grain arrow at 240 fps, 14% foc with a 125 grain broadhead. Been using the Stinger Buzzcuts 125's but the Black Hornet intrigues me.

MattB

WKR
I believe Roy Grace’s wife Annie killed an elk with one this year. 41# draw weight and buried it in the offside shoulder are the only other details I saw.

If you have had good success with the Stingers, which are a really good head, I am not sure why you would change. Guys on the internet get into their own heads too much and end up spending money to get marginally better or in some cases diminished results. Never quite understood that.

OP
GreggB

GreggB

FNG
Well, after bowhunting for 50 plus years, I still enjoy trying different heads. I was given 3 packs of Black Hornets as a gift so I wouldn't be spending any money. I like the overall design of the Hornets and the extra thick blades. Although my Stingers hit exactly with my field points, so does the Hornet, possibly even better.

dtrkyman

WKR
290 grain arrow? 390 maybe? Non issue shooting those heads in my opinion.

I dropped to 50lbs briefly one year due to injury, killed several whitetail doe with a 1.5 inch mechanical 2 blade head. Passthroughs on all but one and that one broke the off side front leg below the knee.

Reactions: Zac
OP
GreggB

GreggB

FNG
Correction, my arrow was 390 grains. Thanks dtrkyman for catching that.

Reactions: Zac
I'm shooting low poundage myself due to a shoulder injury and 45 pounds is about all it will stand right now.

The Black hornets, Stingers and Slick Trick heads all group well for me and I'm keeping to a limit of 30 yards. I'm confident any of these BH's will do the job for me on broadside shots within my range.

A Serr hornet is my first choice this year.