Black Kettle, OK advice?

rhendrix

WKR
Me and a buddy are hunting on Black Kettle until Friday at three. We've found a couple of jakes and toms but can't seem to get a stalk in within bow range and we've had no luck finding a roost at all. Any tips or advice anyone can give us in getting within bow range of these birds?

KMT

WKR
I don't think you're alone in not being able to stalk a turkey. They have great hearing and vision. If you've seen then for a couple of days, you probably know where they make their rounds. Set up, call, and wait it out.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
That's what I'm currently doing now. Closest I was able to close the gap was Tuesday with a bunch of high winds at 70 yards. There was just no way to close the other 30-40 yards due to no cover.

KMT

WKR
I hope your luck changes. I hunted the same group of turkeys for 4 days before they presented me with a shot last year. I was going crazy. People that I know who don't hunt turkeys think that wild turkeys are like domestic ones.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks man, these birds are harder to hunt than I imagined for sure, first day we got busted by some turkeys crawling to a group of trees, they were probably 150 yards away and all four of them spotted us and bolted. Good practice for mule deer and elk though, that's for sure.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Success! Not my bird, but I got my best friend his first bow kill on a turkey. Pretty sweet time all around, I'll post more pictures later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367080122.500075.jpg

Last edited: