Black ovis 150 merino blend ?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thoughts, experiences on performance, durability, odor, fit?

I had the opportunity to test one out. I went on multiple runs and hikes with it before it started to stink. When I run in a synthetic it smells awful after just one run - I sweat a lot so I'm kind of a stinky guy. I would bet it will last a week long hunt before it stinks. It feels super soft and doesn't itch next to skin like other merino I've tested. Really comfortable merino. Seems to be super high quality stuff all around. No issues with seams or durability. I've been really happy with it. I wear a large in kuiu and used a large in the mtn ops merino. Hope this helps.

I’ve got the boxers and a couple long sleeves. I like that they dry faster than 100% merino and resist odor better than synthetic. Super comfortable too.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have owned a lot of their merino stuff since they started and have really liked it. I've worn one of the original merino hoodies (I believe it is like a 190?) at least 20 days hunting a year for 4 years now and besides having a pine sap stain on the sleeve, it looks just as good as when I bought it. It's about the only thing I wear in early archery seasons, and it doesn't stink after days of use even in the hot weather. I sweat something terrible too. I recently picked up the 150 off camofire. It is a little bit thinner, but looks like it will be a great early season and base layer piece as well.

jmcd22

WKR
I've worn them for a few seasons and really enjoy them. I really dislike wool as it always seems to itch uncontrollably and this stuff does itch when I get really hot but it's nothing unbearable. I haven't really noticed much odor from sweat but they do smell funny after pulling them out of the washer. The high point for me is how fast they dry...any sort of breeze at all and the stuff is dried out. BlackOvis seems to have raised prices too and I am not sure I'd pay what they're asking for the stuff but you can always find it on sale.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I have a couple of the 150 weight shirts and I really like them. Especially for the Camofire price. If you order your normal size it will fit like a compression baselayer. One size up fits me like a slim t-shirt. If you're a big guy you might want to order 2 sizes up. The tail length is good for me and I'm 6'6".

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I like it. I have quite a bit of it. I ordered a size larger in case it shrinks, but not a problem. Don't care for compression fit clothing. Comfortable and wears nice.

Well you guys talked me into trying it the next time it pops up on camo fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far so good. I’m 6’2 185 with a dad bod build. and the large fits well as a nts but not a compression fit. I can comfortably wear a ss T-shirt under it. Plenty long enough to tuck it in. BO has several videos that help explain the fit.

Can you elaborate? I'm 6'2" 225'ish and generally wear 2x for comfortable shoulder width. Would you say a 4x is appropriate?
I'm 6'1" 230# with relatively broad shoulders and a deep chest, and a 2x fits pretty close to perfect with a t-shirt underneath it. If you are looking for a little more room, I'd say go 3x, but don't think you would need to go 4x. the 2x is plenty long in the arms and torso for me.

Okie_3

FNG
I wear medium across the board and the fit has been good on everything I have bought. Not sure there is a better deal for your money when they come up on camofire. I have bought several pieces and have not have not had any quality issues for the past 3 seasons. There are a couple shirts that I wear on a regular basis, not hunting, so they've been washed more. Those are not nearly as soft as the others that only get washed once a year.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm 6'1" 230# with relatively broad shoulders and a deep chest, and a 2x fits pretty close to perfect with a t-shirt underneath it. If you are looking for a little more room, I'd say go 3x, but don't think you would need to go 4x. the 2x is plenty long in the arms and torso for me.
Thanks for the info

TBHasler

WKR
Can you elaborate? I'm 6'2" 225'ish and generally wear 2x for comfortable shoulder width. Would you say a 4x is appropriate?
I would say NO, based on your size I would do 2XL unless you like a tighter fit for the base layer, then I would do XL
It fits tighter by design and I size to my normal sizes - BUT I like tighter fitting bases. If you need room, size up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a couple of the 150 weight shirts and I really like them. Especially for the Camofire price. If you order your normal size it will fit like a compression baselayer. One size up fits me like a slim t-shirt. If you're a big guy you might want to order 2 sizes up. The tail length is good for me and I'm 6'6".
Say what? I order my regular size and they fit like a regular t shirt. I've ran their 150 t shirts for years, they blow FL out of the water for durability. Same with their boxers. I need to pick up one of the new 150 hoodies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm 6'3" 220 and I wear an XL in it. You'll swim in a 4X with a friend

OldGrayJB

WKR
Say what? I order my regular size and they fit like a regular t shirt. I've ran their 150 t shirts for years, they blow FL out of the water for durability. Same with their boxers. I need to pick up one of the new 150 hoodies.

My Blackovis 150 XL fits slimmer in the abdomen than any XL t-shirt I own. I have a lot of Lg tall shirts from Eddie Bauer and the XL fits slimmer than them.

My Lg Blackovis 150 has skin contact everywhere like a typical base layer.

Those hoodies do look nice. I'll probably pick one up before season.