Black tail calls?

Emill

FNG
Hey guys, 4 years new hunter in oregon. Hunting late season black tail this year (McKenzie unit) and want to try using calls. I wanted to ask, is there a difference in grunt tubes and doe, fawn calls between the manufacturers? Any advice would be appreciated as I found there was when it came to elk calls and tubes after acquiring a few different items I dont use any longer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
E

Emill

FNG
Does calling work late season archery?

If so, what is your favorite grunt tube?

Does wood make better tones than plastic?

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Emill,

I'm no expert, but there is a good amount of info out there about calling blacktails, mostly from Scott Haugen. He has a good book specifically about blacktails. He has a TV show called "The Hunt", I think. Also, see these online resources:

Blacktail Deer Tips - Scott Haugen

Rattling Columbia Blacktail Deer

I just started trying to call blacktails this season, and so far have been unsuccessful. The calls I'm using are a rattle set and a basic grunt tube. Mostly focusing on non-aggressive rattling for now, occasionally mixing in light grunts and snorts/wheezes. I'm going to keep at it for the next couple weeks, until the end of rifle season. Blacktail hunting is a frustrating thing...

OP
E

Emill

FNG
Thanks for the info. Would you say one manufacturers calls make better sounds than others?

I'll have to check out the author you mentioned.

Have you ever played with fawn calls to attract other deer? I watched a meat eater episode recently where they mentioned it hunting Alaska, wondered if it worked here.

bbell

WKR
I have called in a 3pt before. I used horns and a bleat can. That has been my only experience with calling blacktails.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I use a primos bleat can smallest version once every 30 minutes or so and have had good success bringing in young blacktail and mule deer does. It's pretty quiet though so cant hear it in windy conditions. I have had zero success with grunt tubes except attracting other hunters.

TripleJ

WKR
I've called in quite a few over the years using a bleat can, grunt call, and/or rattling antlers. In my experience, it doesn't seem to work most of the time, until all of a sudden it does. They will often try to circle down wind and in the western Oregon thickets I think this is why it often "doesn't work". They come in, smell you, and leave without you ever knowing. Calling with a partner can really help with that part. On the grunt call, I mostly try to mimic the grunts I've heard from blacktails over the years. It seems to be higher pitched then the typical whitetail grunt, at least the ones I've heard. Also, the sound a buck grunting is usually pretty soft/low volume.

Might be better served sitting near some apple trees or finding a good trail crossing between a feed area and daytime cover and watching it.

Tobias

FNG
How’d the season start out for you? I’m in the Alsea unit and all of my spots went quiet over the past week. I had some bucks chasing midday about 3 weeks ago, now everything is happening at night or not at all. I’m hoping the rain this week will change things, because I don’t know what gives!

TripleJ

WKR
How’d the season start out for you? I’m in the Alsea unit and all of my spots went quiet over the past week. I had some bucks chasing midday about 3 weeks ago, now everything is happening at night or not at all. I’m hoping the rain this week will change things, because I don’t know what gives!

They definitely rut earlier in the Alsea unit then they do in my neck of the woods, but even in the peak of the rut, without rain to get them up on their feet during daylight hours, a lot of the rutting gets done after dark. I went from seeing 10 bucks on Friday during the storm, to seeing one buck total in the last 2 days, same area.

TripleJ

WKR
Saturday about mid-morning, I cut some super fresh tracks in the snow. I set up (my 6th or 7th set up that morning) and did a few doe bleats mixed with some buck grunts. I caught movement through the brush after about 20 seconds. It took him about 5 minutes to cover 20 yards. I ended up holding at full draw for at least 90 seconds waiting for him to take the last step out into the clear. He's one of the smaller bucks I've killed in quite a few years, but I was pretty much out of time to hunt and my freezer is/was low.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Does calling work late season archery?

If so, what is your favorite grunt tube?

Does wood make better tones than plastic?

I’ve tried a lot of calls for blacktail, I’ve been able to rattle some in but what’s worked best is a fawn in distress. Most of the time it gets a doe to come running and the right time of year they usually have a buck following.

Calls have always kind of been that mystery voodoo to me too. Our season in Ca my go to call is a rabbit in distress call ( hoping to catch an ear flick in the brush or make something neurvos enough to stand up and think about running) but that’s like 2000-3500ft terrible brush country. That said if you haven’t read it look at https://www.ebay.com/p/Blacktail-Tr...aperback/1638528?_trksid=p2047675.m4096.l9055 he’s either from OR or WA so should all be pretty good info for you.

GRAYBEARD

FNG
I have tried fawn in distress calls, grunt calls and rattling all with zero success. I have called in does several times while trying to call coyotes but I have also scared the deer out of the county with a predator call. So I just try to stay as quiet as possible.

I have had lots of success rattling blacktails, and have used grunts and bleats very minimally. Most people don't sit around long enough after they rattle and spook the deer coming in. They rarely come in hot. You gotta commit! Good luck!

Rattling is the only thing that has worked for me. Patience is the key to success. Even though u feel like a 5 year old watching the tip of a fishing pole on the shore! Plenty of squirrels to keep you company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried a lot of calls for blacktail, I’ve been able to rattle some in but what’s worked best is a fawn in distress. Most of the time it gets a doe to come running and the right time of year they usually have a buck following.

This is pretty much the most consistent Blacktail calling technique. The does' mother instinct draws them to assist the fawn in distress, and bucks will usually follow the does to satisfy their own instincts. This method is usually more successful during or near the rut.

Saturday about mid-morning, I cut some super fresh tracks in the snow. I set up (my 6th or 7th set up that morning) and did a few doe bleats mixed with some buck grunts. I caught movement through the brush after about 20 seconds. It took him about 5 minutes to cover 20 yards. I ended up holding at full draw for at least 90 seconds waiting for him to take the last step out into the clear. He's one of the smaller bucks I've killed in quite a few years, but I was pretty much out of time to hunt and my freezer is/was low.

No shame in my game. I'd be ecstatic with a buck like that in the late season... Love my Reign also...