Blackhorn 209 cleaning

Michael54

WKR
I bought my wife a cva wolf and set it up to use blackhorn. I got it shot in today and was wondering what you guys that use the stuff use to clean your barrels.

I use the cva foaming bore cleaner.
Fill it and let it sit 15 min.
Swab it a few times.
Disassemble rifle.
Small parts in a tiny Tupperware coat them in foam.
Do the barrel again.
Strip everything with brake cleaner.
Light coat of oil and re assemble.

I can show you what I do... it really is pretty simple and straight forward. Most will tell to skip the wet Windex patch but it works wonders on the Sulphur and potassium in BH.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Next question what primers are you guys using? The cci 209m primers don't seem to be seating into the blackhorn 209 breech plug tightly and im getting a good bit of blowback. Any tips?

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using Hoppe’s No 9 for cleaning and Winchester 209 shotshell primers. I just finished off my first box of 100 primers yesterday and everyone fit good and fired great.

I bought my CVA wolf last year and hadn’t really been able to get it to shoot as good as I’ve read they would until yesterday. I tried a lot of different bullets and sabots and killed a deer last year with a 250grain Hornady FTX in a TC black sabot which is what I got to shoot the best (3” group at 100 and 8” to 10” at 200). Luckily my deer last year was only a 15 yd shot. This year I needed to find a good load for my wife’s elk hunt. I played around with 300 grain Hornady SST and had decent accuracy (2” at 100) but I did’t like the unbonded bullet and most of the ones that I found in the sand behind my target the jacket and core had completely separated. Yesterday I tried some 290 grain Barnes T EZ with 100 grains by volume, 70 grains weighed, of BH and was able to get a 3 shot 3/4” group at 100 and had a 1-3/4” group at 200(almost had a 1/2” group at 200 but third shot screwed that up) I was also impressed to find the bullet with good expansion and what looked to be almost all of the bullet intact. I’ll weigh it but I bet it retained 95% of its weight. I found that if I run one wet patch then 2 dry patches and thn shoot 2 foul shots and then a 3 shot group this gun shoot amazing with the load mentioned above. I was very impressed with my CVA wolf yesterday and feel very confident my wife can take an ethical shot at an elk out to 200 yds.

Attachments

• 5E417213-ED28-4969-8C16-F355C4B2EA9E.png
    5E417213-ED28-4969-8C16-F355C4B2EA9E.png
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 7AB98048-9EDD-4B8C-8315-3C39F6FC27AF.png
    7AB98048-9EDD-4B8C-8315-3C39F6FC27AF.png
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 53

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m using Hoppe’s No 9 for cleaning and Winchester 209 shotshell primers. I just finished off my first box of 100 primers yesterday and everyone fit good and fired great.

I bought my CVA wolf last year and hadn’t really been able to get it to shoot as good as I’ve read they would until yesterday. I tried a lot of different bullets and sabots and killed a deer last year with a 250grain Hornady FTX in a TC black sabot which is what I got to shoot the best (3” group at 100 and 8” to 10” at 200). Luckily my deer last year was only a 15 yd shot. This year I needed to find a good load for my wife’s elk hunt. I played around with 300 grain Hornady SST and had decent accuracy (2” at 100) but I did’t like the unbonded bullet and most of the ones that I found in the sand behind my target the jacket and core had completely separated. Yesterday I tried some 290 grain Barnes T EZ with 100 grains by volume, 70 grains weighed, of BH and was able to get a 3 shot 3/4” group at 100 and had a 1-3/4” group at 200(almost had a 1/2” group at 200 but third shot screwed that up) I was also impressed to find the bullet with good expansion and what looked to be almost all of the bullet intact. I’ll weigh it but I bet it retained 95% of its weight. I found that if I run one wet patch then 2 dry patches and thn shoot 2 foul shots and then a 3 shot group this gun shoot amazing with the load mentioned above. I was very impressed with my CVA wolf yesterday and feel very confident my wife can take an ethical shot at an elk out to 200 yds.
I also use the same Barnes 290 gr and 70 gr by weight of BH209. I use CCI primers. Accuracy is excellent and I get a muzzle velocity of 1845 fps out of my TC Bone Collector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with the 209m primer per recommendations and they just don't seem to be seating right into the breech i purchased.
As far as the cleaning goes i was just wondering if something i already have works as good as the stuff they specifically sell for it.
Try the winchester 209 primers they are bit longer and might help with your blow back. Give the windex a try i was pretty surprised.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I saved this to use windex next time. I’m guessing it’s regular windex with ammonia in it.

Yes! most important that is regular blue Windex with Ammonia! Ammonia is a natural metal stripper/cleaner

WinPatch.jpg

This how I make my moist Windex patches - for a Windex patch that I use for strip cleaning rifle bore, I do use a wetter patch.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
^^+1 Winchester 209A is what I’ve been using and they have worked great.

I just tried the Windex after doing some shooting this past weekend and was very impressed with how well and easily it cleaned the barrel and breech plug

Western Powders - Always recommends Mag Primers - their only concern is that the rifle goes boom! How hot your primer might need to be is dependent on the function of the Breech Plug. If your breech plug has been approved for use with BH you normally do not need a Mag primer.

I have shot BH from my Knight using an old Remington 209-4 primer designed for a 410 shotgun. Also have used T7 Black powder primers. But.... I am using a Lehigh or Lehigh/Knight breech plug.

This is a sight in target shot using Win 209 primers.

3-22-Ballistic-Target.jpg

Last edited: