Blackhorn 209 cleaning

I'm using the BH 209 cleaner from Montana Xtreme. a couple of wet patches, Nylon brush, couple more wet patches followed by a couple of dry. Clean the breech plug, put it all together, fire a cap and start loading. I've had my best accuracy with the CCI primers.

knaws

FNG
BH 209 is a great powder. At the range I shoot 80 grains by volume and a Barnes 250 gr Expander bullet. Muzzle velocity is 1700 ft./sec. I also use EZ Sabots (a bit smaller diameter) which makes the loading in the typical tight Omega barrel really easy. No matter how many shots I take it is not necessary to swab the bore. For hunting I use 80 grains by volume of BH plus 10 grains of Triple 7 next to the primer to assure good ignition. I also use magnum 209 primers. The reason I use some Triple 7 and magnum primers is that I had a misfire on a deer using the 80 grains and standard primer so I built in some insurance. (Probably the magnum primer would be enough but just don't want to take a chance). Just that bit of Triple 7, however, does foul the bore. This combination has taken dozens of deer and in about half I have recovered the bullet on the far side just under the hide. The pedal like expansion and weight retention is amazing. I don't know why anyone would used lead jacketed bullets anymore. I just can't imagine any better powder and bullet performance.

knaws

FNG
Yes, I agree duplexing can be risky business. Would like to use just the BH 209. Do folks feel that the Fisk custom breech plug for the Omega gives better ignition with BH powder than the standard bp? Or is it only to improve durability? Also are there other custom bp's out there for the Omega to improve ignition? Thanks for your help.

ENCORE

WKR
Yes, I agree duplexing can be risky business. Would like to use just the BH 209. Do folks feel that the Fisk custom breech plug for the Omega gives better ignition with BH powder than the standard bp? Or is it only to improve durability? Also are there other custom bp's out there for the Omega to improve ignition? Thanks for your help.
The breech plug and ignition system Jeff builds is second to none. Its just that simple ;)

@sabotloader thanks for the cleaning tip! Cut my cleaning time in half compared to the last time of using straight hoppes

It really does work very well for me. The more times you do it the quicker and easier it gets. Plus you are not wasting a lot of patches. The big thing is to allow the Bore Scrubber to remain wet in the bore for at least 10 - 15 minutes so it dissolves the un-wanted in the bore. Especially the stuff caught in the grooves behind the lands.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use their BH209 with muzzleloader primer? I can't find any shotgun 209 primers right now.

ENCORE

WKR
Anyone use their BH209 with muzzleloader primer? I can't find any shotgun 209 primers right now.
No. Dedicated muzzleloader primers are not strong enough to consistently ignite BH.

Primers are going to be a problem for everyone. Guys are finding a few here and there but, most manufactures are using primers for loading ammunition first. I heard that Midway got some in and guys that stay up all night searching found them and of course they sold out. Powder Valley may end up buying some off brand primers. Primers made in Israel and other places.

Primers.JPG

Attachments

• Primers.JPG
    Primers.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 20

gburk

WKR
Now that it’s July...Any leads on BH recommended 209 shotshell primers?

CMF

WKR
This is the first I read about the breach plug needing to be specific for BH209. I have TC Encore 50 cal. How would I know if I'm good to shoot BH209 ?
Assuming, one day i can actually find some magnum primers....

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m using Hoppe’s No 9 for cleaning and Winchester 209 shotshell primers. I just finished off my first box of 100 primers yesterday and everyone fit good and fired great.

I bought my CVA wolf last year and hadn’t really been able to get it to shoot as good as I’ve read they would until yesterday. I tried a lot of different bullets and sabots and killed a deer last year with a 250grain Hornady FTX in a TC black sabot which is what I got to shoot the best (3” group at 100 and 8” to 10” at 200). Luckily my deer last year was only a 15 yd shot. This year I needed to find a good load for my wife’s elk hunt. I played around with 300 grain Hornady SST and had decent accuracy (2” at 100) but I did’t like the unbonded bullet and most of the ones that I found in the sand behind my target the jacket and core had completely separated. Yesterday I tried some 290 grain Barnes T EZ with 100 grains by volume, 70 grains weighed, of BH and was able to get a 3 shot 3/4” group at 100 and had a 1-3/4” group at 200(almost had a 1/2” group at 200 but third shot screwed that up) I was also impressed to find the bullet with good expansion and what looked to be almost all of the bullet intact. I’ll weigh it but I bet it retained 95% of its weight. I found that if I run one wet patch then 2 dry patches and thn shoot 2 foul shots and then a 3 shot group this gun shoot amazing with the load mentioned above. I was very impressed with my CVA wolf yesterday and feel very confident my wife can take an ethical shot at an elk out to 200 yds.
I also shoot the 290 gr Barnes over 70 gr by weight of BH 209 and it's very accurate.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yarak

WKR
I use windex patches
20 ga bore brush
Pro-shot copper/powder fowling remover
Hilco Lube