Blackhorn 209 in a T/C Powder Measure, checked with a scale for accuracy

USMC22

WKR
Blackhorn 209 Lot # 03302037

I had a few minutes tonight to try out the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. After letting it warm up for 20 minutes and calibrating with the check weights I used a T/C U-View Powder Measure which I had locked at 100 grains by VOLUME. I used a T/C U-View Powder Flask to pour the Blackhorn 209 into the Powder Measure. Here were my results by weight:

1.) 76.8 grains
2.) 75.8 grains
3.) 77.4 grains
4.) 76.6 grains
5.) 75.7 grains

Average = 76.46 grains which I rounded to 76.5 grains.

Given the small sample size and the scales accuracy is +/- .1 grain it doesn’t really tell me a ton other than I was within .9 grains of the average at worst.

I’m not really sure what the real world effect would be nor do I have a load dialed in for my rifle yet. I’ve considered getting a powder dropper which does so by volume to work a load up “by volume” and check “by weight” as others who have more knowledge then me had proposed.

I’m now wondering if the T/C Powder Measure is close enough for determining a “by volume” that my gun likes and then repeating the above process on future lot #’s to get the weight to enter in the chargemaster lite auto dispenser.

rayporter

WKR
that is a pretty good job on your part. can you do it tomorrow? can you put your charges in 5 containers and then weigh them that close? that will be the test.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
I’m not sure how that would be different than what I did? It was 5 separate throws (not recycling the powder).

I dropped from the flask into the powder measure then it went to the scale pan. From the pan it went back into the original blackthorn 209 container and I repeated the process.

I recently switched to blackthorn and wondered about the accuracy of the powder measure myself and whether or not it would have a major impact. I guess if you weighed out a few on the rcbs and shot them vs using the measure to determine if it’s impactful or not while using a chronograph at the same time would be a good test. I don’t know if you would see a huge difference at 100 but I bet at 200/250 it would definitely have an impact. Just my thoughts. Thanks for sharing and best wishes!

Out of curiosity how many grains of blackthorn can you bump up before you see your groups change. I did a rough work up few years back and I was moving 10 at a time
Been doing this for my ML for a couple years now - using my powder measure and scale to fill individual powder tubes. Works great.

rayporter

WKR
the reason i asked if you could do it tomorrow is because you were concentrating on that job at that moment. tomorrow, get out the volume measure and start from scratch.

my point is you get good when practicing and time off may affect how good you are.

as long as you stay with one lot of blackhorn you will be fine.
lot numbers of blackhorn vary if you use volume and are the same if you weigh them. it is like '"what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead"?

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
Out of curiosity how many grains of blackthorn can you bump up before you see your groups change. I did a rough work up few years back and I was moving 10 at a time
We shall find out... eventually. I’ve got a magnetospeed v3 and pro chrono which I plan on using to see if I can identify changes and make a correlation. I just have to get the time.

the reason i asked if you could do it tomorrow is because you were concentrating on that job at that moment. tomorrow, get out the volume measure and start from scratch.

my point is you get good when practicing and time off may affect how good you are.

as long as you stay with one lot of blackhorn you will be fine.
lot numbers of blackhorn vary if you use volume and are the same if you weigh them. it is like '"what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead"?
I was able to pick up (10) 10oz cans, all same lot # tonight at Bass Pro in Hooksett, NH. It’ll be a pound of what I have is a pound of it for now. lol

I will likely be able to practice some more with the T/C Measure tomorrow but am excited to have a Harrell Classic Culver w/ the Blackpowder Hopper on the way! Should be the best of all worlds if that’s possible.

What muzzleloader are you shooting? The 10 cans was a big score! I shoot a tc triumph. When I was getting ready for Ohio I was practicing out to 200 and was able to hold 3” groups with a 7x scope. Again I wish I had played with it more because I think there is more accuracy to be had.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
What muzzleloader are you shooting? The 10 cans was a big score! I shoot a tc triumph. When I was getting ready for Ohio I was practicing out to 200 and was able to hold 3” groups with a 7x scope. Again I wish I had played with it more because I think there is more accuracy to be had.
I’m shooting the ’Knight Ultra Lite Build’ thread muzzleloader.

OXN939

WKR

Yeah in my experience charge variations have to be large to effect the accuracy of muzzleloaders much. Once you find a bullet your rifle likes, you've got a relatively large window.