Blackhorn 209 Now Legal in Utah?

It appears that Blackhorn 209 may now be legal to use during muzzleloader seasons in Utah.

The recommendations from the Utah Regional Advisory Counsel Members for 2012 states on page 2:

(g) is loaded with black powder or black powder substitute, which must not contain nitrocellulose based [strike out "nitrocellulose based"] smokeless powder.

This change allows for the use of the product Blackhorn 209 that contains nitrocellulose Studies show an average of 5% increase in velocity when comparing Blackhorn 209 with traditional propellants. Blackhorn 209 is cleaner burning and would require less frequent cleaning of muzzleloaders

You can find this at:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/info/2012-04_packet.pdf

The new regulations for Utah which were posted this week seem to reflect that change.

"It must be loaded with black powder or a black powder substitute. The black powder or black power substitute cannot contain smokeless powder, but may contain some nitrocellulose."

You can find this at:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2012_pdfs/2012_field_regs_low.pdf

DISCLAIMER: Please do your own research on this subject, and verify if Blackhorn 209 is legal. If I personally feel it is legal and decide to use it in Utah, I will carry a copy of both of these documents into the field this year.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ump! you're right. I read the regs the other night while researching an answer on the "elk and bullet weight" thread and found this:

Utah Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-10

• It must be loaded with black powder or a
black powder substitute. The black powder
or black power substitute cannot contain
smokeless powder, but may contain some
nitrocellulose.

That's great. I just started reading about Buckhorn, but seems it needs 209 primers to ignite and since I might be hunting Colorado, I didn't look into it much further. Keep us posted on what you find out.

5% is same difference between a 7mm Rem Mag and a 7mm STW and lots of hunter's think that is worth it.

OP
Umpqua Hunter
Blackhorn 209 is very good stuff. It does need a 209 primer to ignite. I have read a lot on it and heard of no success with #11 caps or musket caps. It also requires the proper breech plug design to get the primer flame to the powder. The huge advantage is it has extremely low residue and can be shot numerous times without cleaning or swabbing.

On the negative side.....though it has low residue, it is thought that it does not need to be cleaned up soon after, that is not true. I can tell you from experience that I lost a stainless steel barrel on a CVA Accura that totally was corroded after leaving the residue in for a few months. I called the factory and they said they have had some people report that problem, and on the other hand some people have reported no problems whatsoever, but my mistake cost me $200. They aren't sure what the difference is, they mentioned possibly humidity. We are in western Oregon which is a wetter climate. I would recommend cleaning soon after. Rather then water, you use smokeless powder type clean up like Hoppe's #9.

Here is a chart where Blackhorn 209 is compared to the competitors.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/comparison/

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
darn I wish I would have drawn!
we are going to live vicarously through your hunt prep and hunt, so keep us posted: pics of shooting sessions, trip down, whatever you want to share. Best of luck and God bless your hunting,