Blackhorn 209 question

FURMAN

WKR
I always leave my long range hunting rigs dirty so I know where the cold bore shot is going to go. I was wandering if it will be ok to fire a shot of Blackhorn 209, just before entering the backcountry for up to 10 days, and not clean it? Does anyone have any experience with this? With my Savage MLII the clean cold bore is not too far out of the group but it is generally noticeable.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
rfurman
I just went through almost a can of BH 209 this summer. While I can't be sure about your question, I can say it is the cleanest burning blackpowder I've ever shot. It doesn't even leave a "crud" ring at the bottom of the bore where the powder ignites. Run a patch after shooting any other powder, including the moderns, and you'll feel it get really sticky at the bottom, but not with BH 209. So I can at least say it's very clean. I can't imagine 10 days would be a problem. I've gone that long with Triple 7 and no adverse effects.

Try calling the factory direct.

you could also check Precision Rifle's website at prbullet.com and look for the email link. Ask Cecil, he may know. Let us know.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I am sure if you have gone that long with Triple 7 the Blackhorn will be fine. I had a guy on Longerangehunting.com tell me he has done it every year since BH209 came out. I shot my gun last Sunday and have not cleaned it yet. I will continue to check it until I leave for my hunt. I plan on shooting it one last time with a dirty bore to recheck the "zero" and then clean it and shoot one fouler.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I always hunt with a fouled bore. If it's dry out, you'll be fine but if it's wet out I've had a little rust form in the bore using BH209 as well as T7.

No big deal if you clean and oil your bore after the hunt.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I left it dirty the last week with no corrosion. I went and shot it yesterday all the bullets hit in the group including the cold bore. The clean cold bore shot is always about 4-6 inches low. Oddly I have noticed, on another note, the group moves about 3" left for every 2.5"lbs of torque extra I apply to the action screws. It is bedded so I find this odd. I guess I am going to have to have the third pillar installed after season.

I left it dirty the last week with no corrosion. I went and shot it yesterday all the bullets hit in the group including the cold bore. The clean cold bore shot is always about 4-6 inches low. Oddly I have noticed, on another note, the group moves about 3" left for every 2.5"lbs of torque extra I apply to the action screws. It is bedded so I find this odd. I guess I am going to have to have the third pillar installed after season.

Can I ask which rifle are you shooting? Just reading through some of the comments and especially yours about moving the POI by tightening the action screws - really makes me think you a have a barrel-barrel channel issue.

As for leaving the barrel fouled for a length of time - I do it all the time but I think I have developed a method that allows me to that with out causing any corrosion. Just remember that BH with it is basically a smokeless Nitro Cell powder - to make it qualify as a Black Powder Sub the maker General Dynamics did have to add a trace of Sulpher and Potassium. The burnt residue of Potassium and Sulfur in the bore with the addition of moisture is corrosive.