BlackOvis Anchor Point 800 Fill Welded Down Jacket and Pant Live Field Review

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last weekend had another chilly 1 hr ride in on machines a long day hiking and a good night in the tent to recover.....I’m finding that wind is blocked pretty well by the shell, down and maybe the baffle design....i Will post up some comparisons on my kuiu down pants bought last fall....but so far these are getting a very good rating..on both the jacket and pant.

Attachments

• CB886DFB-FA8D-4EDA-BDCE-AC2E2007E8C2.jpeg
    CB886DFB-FA8D-4EDA-BDCE-AC2E2007E8C2.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 4CF8637F-2652-4DF9-98DB-84A6B62E9A7B.jpeg
    4CF8637F-2652-4DF9-98DB-84A6B62E9A7B.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 6DD3D535-A384-488B-8E56-D8790D4417FC.jpeg
    6DD3D535-A384-488B-8E56-D8790D4417FC.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 197

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with both previous comments.
The coat seems to cut the wind better than I expected. I still haven’t been in gail force winds yet.

Update on the pants.
Typically, for me, outer layers that fit over regular clothes are bigger which means the crotch is too low and restricts movement while hiking, or rips out. That hasn’t been the case with the Anchor Point Pants so far.

More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Little comparison of the kuiu super down set I purchased last year and the Anchor point set.....at the bottom the Anchor point set offers some velcro to seal in heat, the face fabric of the kuiu is heavier, both have ykk zippers, both offer stretch at the hips with Velcro, they both have hand pockets, only the kuiu has a zipper in front, both offer a baffle design and the loft is very similar..for sizing I wear a large in both and are true to size

Attachments

• 1B3131CC-D715-44C1-BFC8-4FF43227C447.jpeg
    1B3131CC-D715-44C1-BFC8-4FF43227C447.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 167
  • E9D7C9AA-B75F-43B6-BE3C-8F2E01331C3A.jpeg
    E9D7C9AA-B75F-43B6-BE3C-8F2E01331C3A.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]Ross [/mention] How does the Anchor Point vs Super Down compare for noise when material rubs on material? Like when your arms rub against your ribs.

The Anchor Point is more quiet than my Canis Alps Hooded Down. Canis has their BTL, which makes it pretty bullet proof but just a little louder than the Black Ovis. (I know I’m splitting hairs here but I still hunt mule deer in the timber)
Thanks

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did a little comparison on the noise between the two, I can say they both say ”animals if you hear this swish swoosh sound better run quick”😀 they both make the same sound would not recommend attempting to sneak with any of this gear unless it is hiding the cc from the mrs🤣🤙

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll be bear hunting this weekend.
Hope to get some more Non-domestic use out of these. I’ll share pics and thoughts when I get back.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone comment on sleeve length? I’m a knuckle dragger....

What’s your question [mention]Rhansen [/mention]?
Do you want my sleeve measurements and photos?
Whatcha looking for? I’ll try to help.

Rhansen

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your question [mention]Rhansen [/mention]?
Do you want my sleeve measurements and photos?
Whatcha looking for? I’ll try to help.

Just curious if the sleeves run longer.
Like for Instance, most of first lite clothing there sleeves tend to run long.
If the sleeve length is true to size then I know it would be too short for me

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I often have the same problem. My arms aren’t longer than average but my chest takes up a lot of space and sleeves tend to ride up my forearms. I’ll try to take some measurements and photos.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do the pants compare in warmth to kuiu super down pro?
Would say they are very similar the face weight of the kuiu May give you another 5-10% IMO preventing a little bit more wind intrusion loft they are very similar......another day on the machine yesterday for two hours....my lab said he wants a set🤣

Attachments

• CE08BDD3-7440-4E16-B026-A35699D05020.jpeg
    CE08BDD3-7440-4E16-B026-A35699D05020.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 131

Matt G.

WKR
Seems legit. Just received mine today. Unfortunately not cold here to test buy really nice. This is my first light weight puffy.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
3ef114ea70ae45dbad9dcb65cfc36425.jpg

36d0003b3780e2d6769b963cc0aa036c.jpg

I had a chance to use the Anchor Point on a heavy, wet, snow day. They’re right, it isn’t water proof
It did, however, dry out quickly and easily and I wore it the rest of the evening.

No zipper issues. They haven’t eaten any fabric yet.
The coat fits under my rain coat really well. It’s a fairly tight fitting rain coat, but the Anchor Point maintained its loft.

Neither the pants nor the coat have ripped it torn.
I’m extremely impressed with the “crotch fit” of the pants. I can easily step over down fall without ripping out the crotch.

I understand that extra features require higher prices, but I wish the coat had pit zips.
Even in the cold wind and snow, I got waaaay too hot hiking and it wasn’t hard hiking. We were literally walking an older logging road. I zipped down the sides of my pants. It worked great.
The coat though, especially with a pack on, torched my like a marsh mallow. I know that the gear isn’t designed for hiking and it’s designed for sitting and glassing, but if I could have vented with pit zips it would have worked.
I think the coat has the quality to make armpit vents and the additional cost worth while.

3ef114ea70ae45dbad9dcb65cfc36425.jpg

36d0003b3780e2d6769b963cc0aa036c.jpg

I had a chance to use the Anchor Point on a heavy, wet, snow day. They’re right, it isn’t water proof
It did, however, dry out quickly and easily and I wore it the rest of the evening.

No zipper issues. They haven’t eaten any fabric yet.
The coat fits under my rain coat really well. It’s a fairly tight fitting rain coat, but the Anchor Point maintained its loft.

Neither the pants nor the coat have ripped it torn.
I’m extremely impressed with the “crotch fit” of the pants. I can easily step over down fall without ripping out the crotch.

I understand that extra features require higher prices, but I wish the coat had pit zips.
Even in the cold wind and snow, I got waaaay too hot hiking and it wasn’t hard hiking. We were literally walking an older logging road. I zipped down the sides of my pants. It worked great.
The coat though, especially with a pack on, torched my like a marsh mallow. I know that the gear isn’t designed for hiking and it’s designed for sitting and glassing, but if I could have vented with pit zips it would have worked.
I think the coat has the quality to make armpit vents and the additional cost worth while.

Great review! I’m going to have to pull the trigger on these I think!

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious if the sleeves run longer.
Like for Instance, most of first lite clothing there sleeves tend to run long.
If the sleeve length is true to size then I know it would be too short for me

The sleeves haven’t been riding high. They stay right at the wrist. Even after tying my shoes or similar stretching.

The Anchor Point sleeves don’t compare to high end coats like the Canis Alps Hooded Down jacket (about twice the price). But I haven’t had any issues with the Anchor Point.

I’ll try to take pics and measurement here soon

Matt G.

WKR
I wonder if spraying outside with dwr spray would help repel the water a little...

Last edited:

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if spreading outside farmer with dwr would help repel the water a little...

Probably. If I remember right... Black Ovis didn’t use DWR when they made the coat because the welded baffle interfered somehow? Don’t quote me. But aftermarket dwr spray? I’ll look into it. I’ve never used it. I’ll most likely just wear my rain coat, but worth looking in to. Thanks