BlackOvis Anchor Point 800 Fill Welded Down Jacket and Pant Live Field Review

Bearsears

WKR
58b160d2cbd5281a94a770a5a98b9e80.jpg

The pants stretch 2” and cinch down an extra 2”.
About 4” of “play”. So I ordered approx the same size as I would for regular jeans.

For the coat, I ordered the same as I would any other coat.

5’10”
44-46” chest
34-36” waist
212 lbs
763e1c4e497b4014cf8182b8012b37f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howard could you weigh your xl jacket for me please? Thanks

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snow is melting fast a further long ride in the high country….several have asked how the jacket handles wind and can say after several trips on the machine it cuts the wind very very well🤙 no issues to date with the jacket or pants…..

Attachments

• C0E3D2F4-5E95-4E8D-9F1F-68CD17328918.jpeg
    C0E3D2F4-5E95-4E8D-9F1F-68CD17328918.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 5A25251E-E191-47B7-B845-54F16560DC9C.jpeg
    5A25251E-E191-47B7-B845-54F16560DC9C.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 102

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member

Size L coat is supposed to weigh 12 oz.
If my XL weighs 13.5 oz.
I bet that’s probably accurate for size L

Size L pants are supposed to weigh 12 oz
Mine weigh 13.5 oz
So close but not exact.

My scale isn’t certified or anything but between their website and my scale, you can get a pretty good idea. Both the tops and bottoms are light.

Bearsears

WKR

Size L coat is supposed to weigh 12 oz.
If my XL weighs 13.5 oz.
I bet that’s probably accurate for size L

Size L pants are supposed to weigh 12 oz
Mine weigh 13.5 oz
So close but not exact.

My scale isn’t certified or anything but between their website and my scale, you can get a pretty good idea. Both the tops and bottoms are light.

Thanks alot Howard. I wish that companies would just go the extra mile and list weight for each piece by size so everyone can understand what their size weight would be and compare pieces apples to apples.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
My XL pants are 14.4oz on my scale

Also I coated mine with spray on Nikwax works good when I tested at home repelling water.

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
That’s encouraging.
At least our scales are within .3 oz!

I used my wife's food scale. This could explain the hangryness! Luckily she does not read this forum.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bearsears

WKR
I got mine in today. XL jacket weight 13.2oz on my food scale. I like the jacket.

Im curious to see if the welds cause some cold spots since they cause the baffles to be a bit more spread apart compared to a traditional sewn baffle.

I also spritzed some water on the jacket and yeah definitely zero water resistance. l was thinking about reaching out to Black Ovis and seeing if they have an issue with a spray on or wash in DWR treatment. Im wondering if the concern is that the welds will delaminate. I have another zero water resistance down piece though and I havent had any issues keeping it dry by being conscientious about weather conditions and perspiration.

Lastly fit for me is spot on in the shoulders. I have big shoulders though so idk if that is why Im not having the same fit issue as others. The sleeves are touch too long but I seem to have a touch short arms too. Im excited to get it in the field for some high altitude backpacking trips this summer.

Last edited:

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got mine in today. XL jacket weight 13.2oz on my food scale. I like the jacket.

Im curious to see if the welds cause some cold spots since they cause the baffles to be a bit more spread apart compared to a traditional sewn baffle.

I also spritzed some water on the jacket and yeah definitely zero water resistance. l was thinking about reaching out to Black Ovis and seeing if they have an issue with a spray on or wash in DWR treatment. Im wondering if the concern is that the welds will delaminate. I have another zero water resistance down piece though and I havent had any issues keeping it dry by being contentious about weather conditions and perspiration.

Lastly fit for me is spot on in the shoulders. I have big shoulders though so idk if that is why Im not having the same fit issue as others. The sleeves are touch too long but I seem to have a touch short arms too. Im excited to get it in the field for some high altitude backpacking trips this summer.

My $.02
I think the jacket is high enough quality, it would be worth it for BOvis to figure out the DWR issue. I’ll be surprised if you’re not impressed with the coat. Especially at that price.

I haven’t noticed any cold spots from the “wide weld seams”. Keep us posted on what you think.