BlackOvis Anchor Point 800 Fill Welded Down Jacket and Pant Live Field Review

Bearsears

WKR
I think the jacket is high enough quality, it would be worth it for BOvis to figure out the DWR issue. I’ll be surprised if you’re not impressed with the coat. Especially at that price.
Agreed!
I haven’t noticed any cold spots from the “wide weld seams”. Keep us posted on what you think.
Will do. I also should mention that I really like the welding opposed to sewn in theory. It seems like it could really help keep down loss to a minimum and with no specific wind blocking layer, not having a bunch of stitch holes everywhere should really help.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
2626846304c5db575c86217ae9dafdd3.jpg

This is what the down looked like after washing the Black Ovis Anchor Point.

15fe54d091baa94429d44c3df4b56481.jpg

04cd67039bdc4ee9e17c812f425f58ea.jpg

This is what it looked like after it air dried and I tossed it in the dryer on “air fluff” with a couple tennis balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who have purchased the pants, do you regret it at all and wish you’d have gone with another pair? I’m weighing options and this pair seems to tickle a sweet spot.

Bearsears

WKR
I only got the jacket. In my opinion Id be a bit hesitant to buy the pants until they figure out some sort of DWR coating as your pants have a greater potential to get wet. If however you are the type of guy that is very cognizant of keeping them protected and dry they will probably work awesome. Im still waiting to hear back from BO on if I can do a DWR spray on my jacket.

j33

WKR
I only got the jacket. In my opinion Id be a bit hesitant to buy the pants until they figure out some sort of DWR coating as your pants have a greater potential to get wet. If however you are the type of guy that is very cognizant of keeping them protected and dry they will probably work awesome. Im still waiting to hear back from BO on if I can do a DWR spray on my jacket.

I’m opposite, a puffy jacket with water resistant down is a requirement for me. I can survive with wet pants but a wet puffy jacket can make things a little sketchy. I coated my pants with Nikwax and they shed water fine.

Have you heard anything from BO?

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of another product Black Ovis related, has anyone had any experience with their Hailstone rain gear? For the price, their pants with a 3/4 zipper and stretch seem quite ideal.

No. Im going to reach out again.
Here is BO’s official answer

A: It shouldn't mess with the welded baffles at all. However to ensure that the treatment works, make sure the instructions on the garment and the treatment are the same. For example, both say wash in cold water or both say wash in hot water.

Matt G.

WKR
I haven't washed it but I tried spreading a treatment. That did nothing.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Just had L/M jackets delivered today along with M pants. They're now including a packet of DWR wash in the shipment which I think is a nice touch considering the anchor point line doesnt have any dwr. Maybe enough guys messaged them about using a dwr wash that they felt obligated? Definitely a negative for a lot of people myself included. Another big talking point with these is the seam welding. Theres much more surface area without insulation than a sewn through baffle as seen in the previous pictures. I didn't purchase these to be an absolute furnace so its not a huge deal to me. This pant/jacket combo isnt something I'd grab when things are absolutely frigid. Overall I like the jacket but I'm not blown away. The quality seems good but the fit isnt for me. Its more of a boxy cut and the wide suit jacket like shoulders are a bit odd. Im 6' 165 and the M fit me everywhere but the sleeves. With a T shirt and peloton 240 underneath and my binos up to my face the cuffs rode up my wrists about 3 inches. My elbows and shoulders felt tight as well. Im kinda lanky but have never had anyone comment about having freakishly long arms. My L kenai and L peloton 240 sleeves are right on the money for reference. The L anchor point sleeves were perfect but I had way too much room in the body.

The M pants barely fit my 33in inseam. Theyre snug in the thigh and just right on my 32in waist. The extra reinforced material is a nice touch on the knees and butt. I care about the fit of a puffy pant less than a jacket since Im definitely not walking around in the pants.

Long story short all 3 items are going back. I think the pricepoint is good and theyre a decent value for the down fill but I couldn't overlook the fit considering there's no treated down, no factory DWR and welded seams.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just had L/M jackets delivered today along with M pants. They're now including a packet of DWR wash in the shipment which I think is a nice touch considering the anchor point line doesnt have any dwr. Maybe enough guys messaged them about using a dwr wash that they felt obligated? Definitely a negative for a lot of people myself included. Another big talking point with these is the seam welding. Theres much more surface area without insulation than a sewn through baffle as seen in the previous pictures. I didn't purchase these to be an absolute furnace so its not a huge deal to me. This pant/jacket combo isnt something I'd grab when things are absolutely frigid. Overall I like the jacket but I'm not blown away. The quality seems good but the fit isnt for me. Its more of a boxy cut and the wide suit jacket like shoulders are a bit odd. Im 6' 165 and the M fit me everywhere but the sleeves. With a T shirt and peloton 240 underneath and my binos up to my face the cuffs rode up my wrists about 3 inches. My elbows and shoulders felt tight as well. Im kinda lanky but have never had anyone comment about having freakishly long arms. My L kenai and L peloton 240 sleeves are right on the money for reference. The L anchor point sleeves were perfect but I had way too much room in the body.

The M pants barely fit my 33in inseam. Theyre snug in the thigh and just right on my 32in waist. The extra reinforced material is a nice touch on the knees and butt. I care about the fit of a puffy pant less than a jacket since Im definitely not walking around in the pants.

Long story short all 3 items are going back. I think the pricepoint is good and theyre a decent value for the down fill but I couldn't overlook the fit considering there's no treated down, no factory DWR and welded seams.

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearsears

WKR

Do you know what brand of dwr wash they sent with it? Im getting ready to try Nikwax TX Direct today on mine.