Blackovis anchor point puffies

I’m thinking I’ll pick up the puffy pants. I’ve been looking for a good set of affordable puffy pants since I don’t think I’ll use them too often.

Gosh I've just been so disappointed in every black ovis product so far.
They have weird sizing, seams in weird spots and pill easily.
Its cheaper because it is in fact not the same quality or is uncomfortable because the seam placement is poor making it easier to sew and reducing cost.

Looks like a decent product, however, 120 grams is 4.25 oz of fill.
The SKRE Ptarmigan is proven and has 5oz of fill and is $270 full price but if you don’t need it right away they run sales often. Mine weighed 17 oz in XL
Kryptek Ghar is also proven and actually takes the fill up another notch to 6.35 oz of primaloft gold blend plus 100 gsm primaloft in a few locations meaning you are actually way higher than 6.35 oz of fill. I don’t like a hood so this is the jacket I’m using now, my XL weighs 14 oz and full price is less than the BO. I have the original grey one.

nothing against the anchor point, I use black ovis often and they have treated me well. I just don’t see where it’s offering something not already on the market. Welded baffles will be interesting to see how that boosts the warmth.
The pants might hit a missing niche

OP
joshdidthis
I’m thinking I’ll pick up the puffy pants. I’ve been looking for a good set of affordable puffy pants since I don’t think I’ll use them too often.
Interested to hear a review. Curious how they compare to the other puffy pants, especially the under armor ones.

Looks like the "reinforced" areas, like the seat and knees are only 20D nylon. Leads me to believe the rest of the pant is something like a 12D, so probably delicate and high potential to lose feathers, similar to stone glacier I would imagine. But very lightweight. This isn't as much a concern for a jacket to me but more delicate pants is something to think about.

sumyungguy

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Got off the phone with their Customer Service Manager, Travis - he's saying the pants are 20d Nylon in the reinforced area's and 15d everywhere else. They went with Nylon because it's a bit more durable and tear resistant, and that they've gotten complaints from SG's Grummen getting holes fairly easy.

While it isn't DWR it is water resistant. Something to do with the welding preventing them from doing the DWR finishing - but it's treated. Just not wind resistant from the sounds of it. So the main differences between the SG and the BO is that SG is DWR, stitched, and wind proof - BO is welded, not windproof, not dwr (but IS water resistant)

From what I've seen, gathered, ordered, and received - I'm loving my pair. Nothing but good things to rave and talk about frankly. Used it this last weekend and gonna be ordering another set for the Lady.

Wapack

FNG
Got off the phone with their Customer Service Manager, Travis - he's saying the pants are 20d Nylon in the reinforced area's and 15d everywhere else. They went with Nylon because it's a bit more durable and tear resistant, and that they've gotten complaints from SG's Grummen getting holes fairly easy.

While it isn't DWR it is water resistant. Something to do with the welding preventing them from doing the DWR finishing - but it's treated. Just not wind resistant from the sounds of it. So the main differences between the SG and the BO is that SG is DWR, stitched, and wind proof - BO is welded, not windproof, not dwr (but IS water resistant)

From what I've seen, gathered, ordered, and received - I'm loving my pair. Nothing but good things to rave and talk about frankly. Used it this last weekend and gonna be ordering another set for the Lady.
How is the sizing ?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be starting a thread on these shortly and running them on some long machine rides in the am and backpack trips shortly.....took the jacket on a hike this morning and can say it cuts a 30 mph wind very well....I wear basically a large in everything and the jacket fits perfect with room to layer.....in a large

Attachments

• CA3B33AE-CAA8-4C9D-844D-6FEA46D0BE6E.jpeg
    CA3B33AE-CAA8-4C9D-844D-6FEA46D0BE6E.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 210
I picked up a pair of the pants and so far am pretty impressed. Seems to be great quality for the price and really fills a niche in my mind because puffy pants don’t get nearly as much use as a jacket so it’s hard to justify paying 250+ for a pair of puffy pants. I wish they were treated down but considering I’d only wear them sitting around glassing, I don’t think it’s a big deal

Firehawk

WKR
Had I not just purchased the King's XPG down last fall from Black Ovis, I would likely have picked this set up from them. They do look quite similar to the King's version. I have liked my Black Ovis gear, particularly my Merino Wool 1/4 zip, hoodies and the Trailhead hoody.

j33

WKR
I got mine today. Sizing on them is 36” waist = XL, 38” waist = XXL.

I’m 36” in jeans and Eddie Bauer guide pants, 38” in Kuiu Axis (extra size for layer). I went with XXL pants and they cinch up enough around my guide pants to hold well. Happy with fit/stretch and I’m glad I didn’t go XL.

First set of puffy pants but overall a bit better quality than I was expecting for the coat. Zippers are so up down easy without snagging.

I might spray them with Nikwax to give them a DWR.

Last edited:
Purchased one for my wife. I tried one on in their store in SLC, and man are they slick, especially for the price! I have the SG Grumman and they’re very comparable in weight. The BO is probably a bit more durable than the SG.
Sizing is pretty true to size. I wear a large in the SG Grumman and the L in the black ovis fit me the same.