BlackOvis Chugach 20 Sleeping Bag Review, By Jaden Bales

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Any of y'all have a chance to put the bag to use and can add some more thoughts on performance? I'm thinking about picking one up and am curious as to the warmth of the bag/temp rating accuracy. Seems like Jaden liked the performance into the 30s. Can any one else offer their take?
I didn’t get a chance yet, so I’m curious as well.

Any of y'all have a chance to put the bag to use and can add some more thoughts on performance? I'm thinking about picking one up and am curious as to the warmth of the bag/temp rating accuracy. Seems like Jaden liked the performance into the 30s. Can any one else offer their take?
I just had it out turkey hunting and it got to 26-degrees. My toes got a little chilly at that temperature, but I wasn't wearing thick socks either. But I think that's right at the edge temp for me. I added my little Sea to Summit liner and was fine the next night.

Hey Jaden, do still feel like the bag is a good deal for the price after putting it through it’s paces? Any complaints or failures now that you’ve had it for awhile? Has it continued to maintain its loft? I appreciate any feedback you can give us. And also, what sleeping pads are you using, r-value, etc.? Sorry, just trying to get the complete picture.
Great review by the way, very detailed and informative. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jaden, do still feel like the bag is a good deal for the price after putting it through it’s paces? Any complaints or failures now that you’ve had it for awhile? Has it continued to maintain its loft? I appreciate any feedback you can give us. And also, what sleeping pads are you using, r-value, etc.? Sorry, just trying to get the complete picture.
Great review by the way, very detailed and informative. Thank you.

Keeping in mind that it's a workin' man's do-all bag that gets the job done - I did go back to a lighter fully-down bag that packs super small for my purposes and loaned this one to my brother. The only thing I didn't like was that the face fabric was a little crinkly at first, but it got better with time.

Tyler loves it and says it's real lofty still and hands-down this is still the best bag for the price I've found.

I would expect a good R-value pad could get you pretty close to the 20-degree value. I was sweating in 40-degree temps. Had to sleep with a leg out. I use a Nemo Longbow with R-Value: 4.8 and it's made a big difference to how low I can take my sleeping bags. I had the old Static V before that and she left a lot to be desired for warmth.

Hope that's helpful.

Keeping in mind that it's a workin' man's do-all bag that gets the job done - I did go back to a lighter fully-down bag that packs super small for my purposes and loaned this one to my brother. The only thing I didn't like was that the face fabric was a little crinkly at first, but it got better with time.

Tyler loves it and says it's real lofty still and hands-down this is still the best bag for the price I've found.

I would expect a good R-value pad could get you pretty close to the 20-degree value. I was sweating in 40-degree temps. Had to sleep with a leg out. I use a Nemo Longbow with R-Value: 4.8 and it's made a big difference to how low I can take my sleeping bags. I had the old Static V before that and she left a lot to be desired for warmth.

Hope that's helpful.

Awesome, thank you for the real world feedback. My current bag I have I’ve been using is a Sierra Designs 0 degree down bag that I’ve had since 1996, lol. It still has a lot of loft but I would call it more of a 25 degree bag (comfort) these days. And I’ve been using floorless shelters for 3 years now and have been considering a synthetic bag to prepare for those “What if” scenarios that I could end up with a wet bag. And I’m definitely on a blue-collar budget with high-end taste. I’m getting to the point where I’ve bought enough lower to mid range gear through out my life, that I’ve realized “Buy once, cry once” is a real thing. And I always end up with more to be desired when I cut corners on gear.
Thanks again for your time and input!

Awesome, thank you for the real world feedback. My current bag I have I’ve been using is a Sierra Designs 0 degree down bag that I’ve had since 1996, lol. It still has a lot of loft but I would call it more of a 25 degree bag (comfort) these days. And I’ve been using floorless shelters for 3 years now and have been considering a synthetic bag to prepare for those “What if” scenarios that I could end up with a wet bag. And I’m definitely on a blue-collar budget with high-end taste. I’m getting to the point where I’ve bought enough lower to mid range gear through out my life, that I’ve realized “Buy once, cry once” is a real thing. And I always end up with more to be desired when I cut corners on gear.
Thanks again for your time and input!

You bet! Best of luck with whatever you choose!

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 20 degree bag a couple seasons back and I gotta say its a pretty dang good bag for the $. Ive used it a fair jag from summer ,have to unzip, to freeze your water solid in 8hrs. Put on an extra layer and its all good. I do sleep a little warm .

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Nice review, Jaden, thanks.

Is this bag roomy enough and long enough for a guy who's 6'2" 200lbs? Anyone around those specs have experience with this bag?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Is this bag roomy enough and long enough for a guy who's 6'2" 200lbs? Anyone around those specs have experience with this bag?

Glad you liked it! I'll get Tyler on here. He's a lot closer to your dimensions and has been rockin' the bag.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider

I am 6’ and around 210 with athletic build and there is plenty of room.

I am 6’ 210 and I feel like have plenty of room even had my 30lbs cowdog crawl into the top and cuddle up on cold days before and not be uncomfortable. For a mummy bag legs never felt constricted.

Looking at the 0* version for Alaska Sheep Hunt this year - any updates on this bag?
How is everyone's holding up? How are they performing if you have to sleep yourself dry?

Thanks!