BlackOvis.com Custom Arrow Builder

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I think I will go the route of ordering pre-cut arrows from Lancaster (so I don't have to buy a cutter) and get a fletching jig and fletch myself.

NorvTex

WKR
I've always had good experiences with BO. Planning to use the arrow builder to get a dozen new arrows soon.

Ole

FNG
I ordered a dozen arrows from Black Ovis's custom arrow builder. They arrived after about 14 days and unfortunately the box was damaged during shipping and 6 of the arrows were bent and fletchings were nocked off a few of them. I contacted BO and sent them a photo of the damage (man I was disappointed) but other than the damaged arrows they looked great. Black Ovis informed me that they would make up some more and send them out asap. Two days later I had a new dozen custom arrows in my hands (no charge) I did not expect them to next day air my arrows but sure was happy they did as I was leaving that day on a hunt but Black Ovis didn't kow that.
I can't say enough good about Black Ovis. Great customer service!!

I dont have any experience using BO custom arrows, but if you can fletch and build your own arrows youre light years ahead of having someone else do it (I order from BO a good bit, and have never had any issues with any order Ive made). But, it's nowhere near as complicated as it seems if you are intimidated with arrow building. It may have some up front costs in buying an arrow saw and a bitz, but if you lose a vane or want to try other vane combinations, you can do it all yourself. One of the best investments Ive made. I did buy 2 bitz's, one with straight and one with a RH clamp. I use the straight to do 4 fletch arrows with offset, and the RH for 3 fletch. I will say that the zenith upgrade is worth its weight in gold on my 3 fletch bitz. Every vane is spaced evenly without fail - I dont have any issues with the 4 fletch bitz spacing as is from the factory.

Also no one is going to care as much about the building of your arrows more than you do. This year Ive tested 3 and 4 fletch heat, 3 fletch blazer, 4 fletch aae pro max, 3 and 4 fletch aae hybrid 26 and 3 and 4 fletch max 23. It wouldve been a serious PITA having a pro shop do all that. Some people cant stand fletching arrows, I actually like doing it. So theres that to factor into it.

Lastly, its a hell of a lot easier removing vanes if you use vinyl wraps and those are ridiculously overpriced from 8-20 bucks for 12. Another up front cost, but I bought a 12"x20' roll of oracal 6510 (651 for non flo colors) for $30 on etsy. A $21 Fiskars Surecut 12" paper trimmer, a $19 creative grids 12.5x6.5 quilting ruler and an $11 OLFA rotary cutter and make my own wraps just as precise as you can buy them. Thats $81 up front, but I can make 720 wraps with those supplies (I make arrows for friends/family as well). 720 arrow wraps, even if you buy the cheapest dozen at $8, would cost you $480. For $81, I could get 120 arrow wraps pre made. For the same price I can make 600 more wraps. Some of the ones I bought prior to making my own cost 19.99 for 12 and use the same material but just doesnt have printing on them. For those, I can get 48 wraps for $81. I can make the same material wraps - 720 of them - for the same amount of $. Thats 672 more wraps, and just costs me some time cutting them.
RK,

Thank you for detailing all of that particularly the cost for everything to do wraps.
That is gold!

I've always thought wraps were priced too high.

Cheers,
Micth

TBarron

WKR
Just ordered a dozen and it took about 7 days. Pretty impressed with the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl!

WKR
Sorry for the clutter but just had to say this is an awesome post. Will be using the custom arrow builder for next season when I increase my draw weight.

dguns18

FNG
Ordered custom cut/fletched arrows on 1/1/2020 and received them 1/6/20. 5 day turnaround!

I like the idea but I wish they had more to choose from. I shoot victory vap tko’s and unfortunately they don’t carry them.