BlackOvis Softshell, Wind Shirt & Heavy pants

whoppe

FNG
I was wondering if anyone has any new reviews or thoughts on the new BlackOvis softshell, wind shirt or heavy weight pants?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I just received the Softshell (grey) and Wind shirt (tan). Really wanted to like the softshell especially because it was $75 on camo fire. Love the grey color and really liked it, but it was to long for my liking especially because I wanted it for everyday use. It is bigger/Longer then the Black Ovis new rain jacket in size large, at the same time I feel a medium wouldn’t work for me, with one or two light layers under. I returned it. I usually where large in Kuiu and most things.

The wind shirt seems awesome to me in size large isn’t to long for my liking. I really like the FL ridge line (I wear medium) and to me this is better with a hood, can somewhat stretch over a heavy mid layer and act as a light shell, but I have no opinion on how it cuts wind/water yet. Hope this helps.

BDRam16

WKR
The wind hoodie looks almost identical to the OR Ferrosi hoodie which is one of my favorite pieces. Looked up the specs on both and the fabric description is identical so I bet it’s pretty dang close.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Is the wind hoodie a quiet material? Looking for a quiet wind resistant shell and stumbled across this... These are on sale right now and curious how people like them?
I would say it’s pretty quiet. Similar to Kuiu Kenai or FirstLite ridgeline. Haven’t used mine much, but I feel it will get quieter as well after a few washes.

Bump79

WKR
I just received the Softshell (grey) and Wind shirt (tan). Really wanted to like the softshell especially because it was $75 on camo fire. Love the grey color and really liked it, but it was to long for my liking especially because I wanted it for everyday use. It is bigger/Longer then the Black Ovis new rain jacket in size large, at the same time I feel a medium wouldn’t work for me, with one or two light layers under. I returned it. I usually where large in Kuiu and most things.

The wind shirt seems awesome to me in size large isn’t to long for my liking. I really like the FL ridge line (I wear medium) and to me this is better with a hood, can somewhat stretch over a heavy mid layer and act as a light shell, but I have no opinion on how it cuts wind/water yet. Hope this helps.
Any update on this wind jacket?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Haven’t put it to crazy use, mainly on walks or when it’s fairly windy here on Central coast Ca. Sleeves are a to long and I would say the ridgeline is better fitting (5’8 185). I used it around high fifty’s with a pretty cool breeze and was fine doing minimal activity, did pretty good in an ATV. I would say with a heavy/medium mid layer fleece and this over could do pretty good in the forty’s with some wind. If it’s on sale I would say it’s worth it for everyday use and can be stuffed in a pack for hunting with minimal weight.

j33

WKR
Haven’t put it to crazy use, mainly on walks or when it’s fairly windy here on Central coast Ca. Sleeves are a to long and I would say the ridgeline is better fitting (5’8 185). I used it around high fifty’s with a pretty cool breeze and was fine doing minimal activity, did pretty good in an ATV. I would say with a heavy/medium mid layer fleece and this over could do pretty good in the forty’s with some wind. If it’s on sale I would say it’s worth it for everyday use and can be stuffed in a pack for hunting with minimal weight.
What size are you running is it similar to other black Ovis stuff to size up? Idea on weight?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
What size are you running is it similar to other black Ovis stuff to size up? Idea on weight?
I have a size large. Only thing black ovis I have is the short sleeve merino in XL and the upper body fits great and the lower is real long but I tuck it in. I would say this wind shirt it’s a little bigger then Kuiu large jacket/midlayers. I normally where large mens button up shirts, large t shirts, large Northface, medium Carhartt Jacket lbs for reference, mostly medium in First light. Blackovis website has it at 9oz that’s probably correct for size large

Reactions: j33

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider

Are you still liking the BO wind hoodie? I'm trying to decide between the softshell jacket and Specter wind hoodie for September archery. Both look nice.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes I still like it, sleeves are a hair long, it works out perfect for the weather where I live when it’s like 59-70 foggy (morning) and windy in the afternoon. I think when it’s on camo fire and pretty discounted it’s a no brainer.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I have and really like all three pieces. The wind hoodie is a light shell, water resistant at best. Good quality and worth the $$ IMHO.
How heavy is the softshell compared to the wind hoodie? I did get the wind hoodie, which is definitely pretty light.

Last edited:

Bazookas

FNG
I own the Specter wind hoody and I love it. It's quiet and does a great job blocking the wind. It does ok in the rain but isn't going to stop a heavy rainfall. I spent about an hour in a modest drizzle at my kid's soccer game and after about an hour my shoulders were damp. Still plan to take it with me everywhere I go being as light as it is.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
If you could only get one what would it be?
I have the wind hoodie, but I'm done with softshells. If you want the one jacket with a bit of warmth, waterproof, some stretch , etc, buy the SG M7 and never look back. I ski with it, wear in cold rain, hunt, it is across the board the best jacket I've ever had.